• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiediegoJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 09 July 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Backpacker: The Lost Florence Gold Mine (1997) is another 90s game that slipped under many people’s radar. It didn’t really appeal to me very much, but it wasn’t terrible or anything. The setting and story just aren’t the types that interest me at all.

The main character is participating in an Indian ritual in the above scene which gives him visions necessary to access the mine.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Poor graphics for a game released in 1997.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

I can see why it slipped. In 97 we had beautiful games like Kings Quest 7.

With that said, I may try to find this game. I hate missing the games from the golden age.

YouTube: Weird Gaming Adventure
IG: weird_gaming_adventure

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Captain Blondebeard - 09 July 2013 01:14 AM

We had KQ7 in 1994 actually. Wink

We had Curse of Monkey Island in ‘97 though. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Why are we discussing years and graphics? Gemini Rue was ugly and that didn’t slip. Maybe people’s standards have slipped.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-10-03

PM

Enjoyed the game, even replayed it. Backpacker has an extensive and varied gameworld, and offers a lot of gameplay. Old school graphics indeed, yet the settings are quite likable. It took four years to make the game as the main designers had their day job, and sadly it stayed their only game. There are some mini-games included that some will dislike, a dart game like in the early Holmes games, a (hard) hang glider game, and of course you have to climb a mountain. But while you are hiking there are plenty of traditional puzzles to be solved. The mystery happens in the Payette National Forest, so it is a kind of “outdoor adventure - indoors.”

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Unlike King’s Quest 7 and Curse of Monkey Island, this game is going for a ridiculous 200 dollars on eBay. They must have done something right, geez.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thejobloshow - 09 July 2013 11:19 AM

Unlike King’s Quest 7 and Curse of Monkey Island, this game is going for a ridiculous 200 dollars on eBay. They must have done something right, geez.

Simple: they became rare. Collector bait. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

TimovieMan - 09 July 2013 06:40 AM
Captain Blondebeard - 09 July 2013 01:14 AM

We had KQ7 in 1994 actually. Wink

We had Curse of Monkey Island in ‘97 though. Cool

Yeah, after I posted that I started running down how old I was when I was playing the game and realized that. Staggering really.

Joined 2004-08-03

PM

1/20th the amount of sales equal a rarer game.

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I really wouldn’t go judging the value of a game by what it is selling for at a given point in time on ebay. There are some sellers that will put ridiculous prices like that on their games in the hopes of getting some sucker to bite. The same with Amazon marketplace. I once saw a game selling for $300 on Amazon while another copy was selling for $15 on ebay at the same time and I’ve seen the opposite as well.

You really need to have patience and watch the ebb and flow of prices on such sites over time and strike at the best moment. I can count on my fingers the number of times I’ve spent over $100 on a game, and several of those times I was probably being stupid.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2013-07-08

PM

I know it was done years ago on occasion, but are there any threads here with the value of old games? I haven’t kept track of what is worth what.

I have one game that at least used to be worth a lot, but no idea what it’s value is now, Alice: Interactive Museum. I also have a sealed Ceremony of Innocence which for some odd reason I felt would be worth something (don’t think it is), so never opened it up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top