• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Gabrielwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

DosBox/D-Fend - Installing Titanic - Adventure Out of Time - Help Needed

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2009-03-26

PM

I am using the DosBox front end D-Fend.

Not had a problem getting all the other later CD-ROM adventures running on this, X-Files, Tex Murphy, etc - but I have some difficulty in this game.

I have linked the ISO’s all up in the drives section but I can’t install the game to my virtual drive - I keep getting an error message in dosbox. 

When I enter d: and then DIR to look at the contents of the folder and choose the Setup - I get ’ This program requires Microsoft Windows’

However if I link the Titanic application icon by using the Wizard to add a Windows game profile - it states it’s a DOS executable.

Any idea’s?

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2006-11-04

PM

Titanic is only a windows based game and as such dosbox will not run it.

Joined 2009-03-26

PM

jimrh69 - 09 June 2012 12:36 PM

Titanic is only a windows based game and as such dosbox will not run it.

D-Fend can and will.  As mentioned in my post above I have a lot of newer games running via it.  From older CDROM adventures like Phantasmagoria, Last Express, X-Files, Gabriel Knight 2, Overseer, etc, to newer Telltale adventures like Back to the Future, etc.

So I am sure there will be a way to get Titanic running on it as well.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

I believe that the Defend Reloaded author has turned his frontend into more of a game launcher, incorporating the likes of ScummVM into it that you can use it to start some non DOS games, but DOSBox IS, quite unsurprisingly, For DOS games. While it is possible to install Win3x in it to play some early Windows games, you have to own a copy of the OS and install it in DOSBox to do so. Defend Reloaded cannot ship with Windows. A number of the games that you list have DOS versions on the CDs, such as Phantasmagoria, The Last Express and GK2. Titanic has no DOS version and the game is not supported by ScummVM. There is little that Defend Reloaded can do to help with this game.

As I posted on VOGONS, while the game can be installed on Windows and compatibility settings can help the graphical glitches, the game has a fatal crash whenever you try to save your game. Your only option is to setup a VM with Win9x installed in it to play the game.

Joined 2009-03-26

PM

Cheers buddy - makes sense - now trying to get Space Quest 6 installed!

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-07

PM

Fiery Phoenix - 14 June 2012 04:54 PM

Cheers buddy - makes sense - now trying to get Space Quest 6 installed!

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html#SQ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Hint Requests & Technical Problems → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top