• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Also, we’re running a sale on the iPad version of Episode 1 this weekend—today through Monday it’s selling for just $.99 Smile

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id598738593

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2008-02-17

PM

Holy crap on a cracker.
So, I bought the two first episodes on a whim a few weeks ago, and I felt like an adventure game this weekend so I thought “what the heck”.

Ugh. These games are sooooooo goooooood! I don’t know what else to say. Developed characters, and more than that, developed serial killers(!) and great puzzles that never felt out of place. They really embraced their core mechanic; cognition, and it’s so darned awesomely implemented!

The whodunit keeps you on the edge of your seat, and there are new game mechanics introduced in each episode without feeling too fast/slow-paced, and I’m just… in complete awe right now.

With all the Anita Sarkeesian “Damsel in Distress” commotion that has been going on lately, I couldn’t help myself from giggling when Erica looked at a sculpture of a knight on a horse saying “I never really liked the damsels in distress so I saved the knight myself from the dragon” (or something like that), tee-hee!

This game felt like a mix of Overclocked: History of Violence and Still Life with a little mixture of supernatural “Jane Jensen”-stuff, which I suppose makes sense since she was a bit involved. These are all three of my favorite adventure “types” so I’m really really REALLY enjoying this series.

I have been waiting for a criminal adventure to keep me on the edge of my seat that do not shy away from the “gross murders” for so long. I just finished episode 3 and I am still in euphoria. The mere fact that the developers didn’t shy away from keeping the hanged man’s eyes half-open showed a lot imo. It was reaaally uncomfortable. And great.

This message turned far too “fangirly” than I wanted it to, but I just can’t help myself.

To even it out a bit; I love The Scarlet Furies, but they did feel a bit pushed into the game. I don’t really like product placement. Also, some of the background drawings had really weird perspectives and its colors and how they were rendered = really weird.

But the game is so friggin’ good I don’t even care about that.

Definitely check into it if you like Still Life/Overclocked/Jane Jensen. And those are my scattered and euphoric thoughts. Just needed to post them somewhere before my head exploded, hah! Grin

I am rubber, you are glue

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Wow, thank you so much Thorn! Smile That’s awesome you’re enjoying it so much, and thank you for sharing your thoughts & feedback! I hope you like Ep 4 when it’s out, too. Smile

(edited, because I have the brain of a goldfish sometimes and you obviously did play Ep 3 already! Derp.)

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

I am THRILLED to announce that Cognition has been Greenlit by Steam!!

http://steamcommunity.com/games/765/announcements/detail/1585547885807672930

Thank you everyone for voting & supporting us!!

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Congrats! Thumbs Up

That should do wonders for your revenue!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

So happy for you!!

About time!

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

When’s the last episode coming? I’ve been waiting for the series to finish before purchasing and playing.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thanks everyone!

Terabin—we’re aiming for late summer right now. As always, the exact date is TBD until it’s not, though. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

Thanks Katie, although I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes I’ve decided it’s better for me to play the entire series start to finish when all has been released or better when TBD is TBD.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Great news on the Greenlit!

A couple of questions (if its possible)

- Will more episodes be released on iOS?
- Will steam codes be available to anyone that bys the full season on the site? (probably not…)

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Yes, they will be coming on iOS as well Smile

And yes! Steam has already said that released games that are Greenlit will be able to get keys for their existing customers. Smile So if you bought from our site, yes, you’ll be able to get one once we’re up and going on Steam.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks for the feedback, Katie
I got the first episode on iOS and was debating wether to wait for more episodes or get the season on the site. The steam codes is great news for me, I think I’ll just get the episodes from the site. (I’m also terribly old-fashioned and not a fan of adventure games on touchscreens Smile )

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2013-06-26

PM

I really enjoyed Cognition and TSL, and because of those 2 games Phoenix Online Studios is my best video game developers, right next to Wadjet Eye. And I might be one of the rare people on this forum that enyojed the story AND the art style. Erica is, in my opinion one of the best video game characters, to me very similiar to Rosa Blackwell. Hope that ep 4 gets relased this summer, because I don’t want school to interupt me while playing.

P. S.

When are you planing to relase Cognition ep 4, and when is TSL ep 5 coming out?

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Aw, thank you so much guys! Smile It’s great to know you’re really enjoying the games. Smile

Ep4 - we are aiming for sometime in the late summer right now. TSL Ep 5 I don’t have an estimate for right now, but we’re actually getting some good progress done this summer on that, which is pretty exciting. It’s moving along, just at a slower pace since the team working on that isn’t fulltime like it is for Cognition. We actually took a look at the opening section the other day and were really impressed with how much has been done!

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

After many installation problems, I tried again a few days ago and it installed. And wow, what a remarkable game. These games are among the best adventure games out there right now, full of intrigue, great storyline development, and good use of inventory and puzzles (without being frustrating). Despite so much of the game being set in one apartment block, it was never boring at all and I was gripped until the end. Can’t wait until the finale.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top