• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 26 June 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Orion Burger (1996) is, for me, one of those games that had the potential to be good but threw it all away with a bad game mechanic. This game is timed and completely linear in its scripting requirements while simultaneously allowing non-linear exploration, not just of the environment but in time as well.

What this means is that you can collect items, have conversations and make a fair amount of progress only to have it all erased because it wasn’t the progress the game wanted you to make at that specific point in time. The repetition and trial and error required of such a game mechanic is definitely not to my taste. It looks nice though.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well darn it to heck. I was thinking “wow, that game looks great” and then I read your remarks about horrible time mechanics… Meh

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah, sounds just ghastly. I’d like a Groundhog Day style mechanic, where you get more hints and progress even though having to repeat some of the stuff but that just seems like a lazy design. It still could be a nice challenge if I were a masochist with a lot of free time Crazy.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Is that Hoagie?

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

millenia - 26 June 2013 07:10 AM

I’d like a Groundhog Day style mechanic, where you get more hints and progress even though having to repeat some of the stuff but that just seems like a lazy design. It still could be a nice challenge if I were a masochist with a lot of free time Crazy.

That’s actually pretty much how it works. You have roughly a half hour or so (I don’t think conversations run the clock) to do the things you need to do and then the “chapter” restarts. Any items you have that aren’t pertinent to the “chapter” are removed from your inventory while any that are, you keep. This certainly prods you in the right direction.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Bastich - 26 June 2013 01:15 PM
millenia - 26 June 2013 07:10 AM

I’d like a Groundhog Day style mechanic, where you get more hints and progress even though having to repeat some of the stuff but that just seems like a lazy design. It still could be a nice challenge if I were a masochist with a lot of free time Crazy.

That’s actually pretty much how it works. You have roughly a half hour or so (I don’t think conversations run the clock) to do the things you need to do and then the “chapter” restarts. Any items you have that aren’t pertinent to the “chapter” are removed from your inventory while any that are, you keep. This certainly prods you in the right direction.

Well, the breaking point would be how it sits to the story. In Groundhog Day there is a reason for this. As I would think it is on Ghost Trick or Shadow of Memories (which aren’t exactly the same but just to demonstrate what I mean).

This kind of mechanic has to be implemented very well so it doesn’t end up being only frustrating.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

millenia - 26 June 2013 01:21 PM

Well, the breaking point would be how it sits to the story. In Groundhog Day there is a reason for this. As I would think it is on Ghost Trick or Shadow of Memories (which aren’t exactly the same but just to demonstrate what I mean).

This kind of mechanic has to be implemented very well so it doesn’t end up being only frustrating.

The game mechanic is definitely tied in to the story. You are sent back in time to change the past and if you don’t succeed in the limited amount of time you are given, the events from the future you traveled from repeat themselves. The goal is to escape this time loop.

I personally found the game rather frustrating though. That said, I am particularly allergic to repetition. Perhaps others with more tolerance for such could handle it better than I.

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Bastich - 26 June 2013 01:39 PM

The game mechanic is definitely tied in to the story. You are sent back in time to change the past and if you don’t succeed in the limited amount of time you are given, the events from the future you traveled from repeat themselves. The goal is to escape this time loop.

I personally found the game rather frustrating though. That said, I am particularly allergic to repetition. Perhaps others with more tolerance for such could handle it better than I.

Well, I might give it a try then. But just because the reason for the repetition is in the story, it doesn’t mean the implementation wouldn’t still suck Smile. Personally I really like visiting the same sceneries and events with multiple characters or in multiple times. But even in those the makers have to be careful that the whole thing works. When it’s the repetition of same events with same characters it becomes even more risky.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top