• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Becky

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

In the Love of Roberta Williams

Poll: The biggest hit for Roberta Williams
Total Votes: 94
King’s Quest I: Quest for the Crown
King’s Quest II: Romancing the Throne
King’s Quest III: To Heir Is Human
King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella
King’s Quest V: Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder!
King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow
King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride
Shivers
Laura Bow: The Colonel’s Bequest
Laura Bow in The Dagger of Amon Ra
Phantasmagoria 1

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

who would dare say that adventure gaming is dead after All those kickstarter campains had reached their goals, and in a spectacular way/time.  Content
anyways,that is it not the point , ahem ..

I would like from this small obscure place and as one of the Adventure’s Players who had grown up living/witnessing R.Williams and Sierra’s glory from the very start, to send Message to Roberta saying “there are fans calling for you, we missed you and your games, and this is the best time to come back and take your great part with all our/your beloved desigers Al, Scott, Mark, Josh, and Jane ..and make your impact (again)over the Adventure scene/genre”

as this would mean (in a way) that Sierra is somewhere around, Literally!

If there anything that was my greatest hobby as a boy, it was playing Adventure Games and i had learned it from Sierra(the hard way).
I was very terrible with those Msx Games Like Castle ,Alien Attack ....even Tic Tac Toe! .. it was just killing me to die and having to start the games after every 30 secs all over again ,I sucked!, king’s quest and Larry then Space Quest ...etc ,got me so good, at least finally i can save my current postion and restore after death Grin

8 is the age when i had ran that Floppy Disk (5.1/4) taken out of my father’s collection, as he told me later ‘its was a friend’s gift he never rolled’.
there were nothing called PC games (really!, or at least I wasn’t aware of) at the time, there were MSX, Sinclair, Commodore or even Atari to play games on, but then it was the Williams to Make it happen; a new market/era for the PC (adventure) games, they helped into creating the industry; IBM to grow and bloom, making/creating the innovations to flow with (their) Sierra products to the needs of the PC industry or Vise-Versa, as well as (a little later) Lucasfilm ..and Adventure Gamimg was the greatest market of PC gaming or just gaming ‘in general’ .

for someone who played about all the Adventure games Roberta had given, but also had missed less than a hand full of them (such Mixed-Up Mother Goose ,Mickey’s Space Adventure ....etc) I must say ‘excuse me’ but this is the best timing For Roberta to redo the only thing she is good at ,more than anything else or ‘even’ anyone!, making adventure games.

Regards,
A R.W Big Fan.

Image Attachments

1.png3.gif4.png

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I wouldn’t say adventure games are dead… but I won’t say they’re alive either, at least until we finally get a really good game released in 2012. And by that I mean one that I like, and not a dozen cartoony 3rd person adventures or poorly done 1st person horror games.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Oscar - 13 June 2012 11:16 PM

I wouldn’t say adventure games are dead… but I won’t say they’re alive either, at least until we finally get a really good game released in 2012.

Done.

Love Roberta. She was always driving adventure games forward - I wonder if she’s kept writing in the past years.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

thejobloshow - 14 June 2012 01:24 AM

I wouldn’t say adventure games are dead… but I won’t say they’re alive either, at least until we finally get a really good game released in 2012.

Done.

Love Roberta. She was always driving adventure games forward - I wonder if she’s kept writing in the past years.

Botanicula was good, but not great. It was a nice silly little diversion but comparable to the likes of the Journeyman Project, Death Gate or Hand of Fate? Not really. My favorite adventure of the year so far was Amber’s Blood but once again, it’s not a great game.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Botanicula was good, but not great. It was a nice silly little diversion but comparable to the likes of the Journeyman Project, Death Gate or Hand of Fate? Not really. My favorite adventure of the year so far was Amber’s Blood but once again, it’s not a great

I dont know,but did you intentionally avoided mentioning any of Roberta or Even Sierra’s games as your Favorite ...

i just am wondering Oscar

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Advie - 14 June 2012 05:03 AM

Botanicula was good, but not great. It was a nice silly little diversion but comparable to the likes of the Journeyman Project, Death Gate or Hand of Fate? Not really. My favorite adventure of the year so far was Amber’s Blood but once again, it’s not a great

I dont know,but did you intentionally avoided mentioning any of Roberta or Even Sierra’s games as your Favorite ...

i just am wondering Oscar

Sorry advie, wasn’t intentional. But since you ask, my favorite Roberta Williams game is Phantasmagoria Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Oscar sorry advie, wasn’t intentional. But since you ask, my favorite Roberta Williams game is Phantasmagoria

No worries but it gets to me sometimes when people don’t praise Roberta the way she deserves ,

and add to that when i think of the way Jane is always praised (with all the love and respect for her) makes me feel odd/strange when i compare/remember the number of great Adventure they both gave!
plus its well known that Roberta was the one to introduce Jane to the Adventuring scene through KQ6, so how can anyone prefer Jane than roberta ,

.... or is it as that saying we use in egypt “whom away form eyes,away from the heart” ...!??

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Laura Bow 2 and Shivers were not made by Roberta - she was only “consulting” developers. Unlike the first Laura Bow, which was surely one of her better games. But I will go with King’s Quest VI. An outstanding, very well-written adventure.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Advie - 14 June 2012 06:07 AM

.... or is it as that saying we use in egypt “whom away form eyes,away from the heart” ...!??

Gee, Advie, we have the same saying over here in Holland: Uit het oog, uit het hart. And even the English-speaking world knows what you’re talking about: Out of sight, out of mind. How about that!  Tongue

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

You are right Arial Type, but those polls can not be modified . we would consider them out anyways,

do you think of any of those other titles (below) as a real mark in the history of R.W , should be added to her Top works! other than The Colonel’s Bequest

Mystery House (1980)
Wizard and the Princess (1980)
Mission Asteroid (1981)
The Dark Crystal (1982)
Time Zone (1982)
Mickey’s Space Adventure (1984)
King’s Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella (1988)
Mixed-Up Mother Goose (1987)
King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride (1994) (maybe this one?)
King’s Quest: Mask of Eternity (1998)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Fien - 14 June 2012 07:25 AM
Advie - 14 June 2012 06:07 AM

Gee, Advie, we have the same saying over here in Holland: Uit het oog, uit het hart. And even the English-speaking world knows what you’re talking about: Out of sight, out of mind. How about that!  Tongue

so that is it!
however its an international saying ..  proves more that we had really forgotten about the master mind behind the Genre?

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Advie - 14 June 2012 07:30 AM

do you think of any of those other titles (below) as a real mark in the history of R.W , should be added to her Top works! other than The Colonel’s Bequest

I would’ve definitely added King’s Quest 4. Not only it was a nice game on its own, but it was also a major step from AGI to SCI engine. I know some people really like the 7th part, so maybe it would’ve been fair to include all KQ games. Well, except for Mask of Eternity. That game was a disgrace, an experiment that went horribly wrong and should be forgotten forever and ever… Or just excluded from the poll Smile

I never played Roberta’s text adventures, but from what I heard they were nothing special. Well, except for Mystery House, which started it all.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I wouldn’t say adventure games are dead… but I won’t say they’re alive either, at least until we finally get a really good game released in 2012. And by that I mean one that I like, and not a dozen cartoony 3rd person adventures or poorly done 1st person horror games.

Journey Down is pretty good.

But if none of the big Kickstarter adventures coming in 2013 are good, I’ll eat my hat. Double Fine Adventure and Tex Murphy should come through at the very least.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I voted for KQ VI—the best of the King’s Quest series IMO. But I could just as easily have voted for Shivers (maybe I should have since I’ve replayed it more than KQ VI).

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2012-01-24

PM

Yesterday is a good albeit extremely short game. And Captain Morgane is rather fun.
Ok, so there has been no great adventure game this year so far, but most of the expected adventure games for this year have not been published yet (Deponia, Dark Eye, Testament of Sherlock Holmes, Resonance, to name a few). The year is far from over.
And, as others have already said, 2013 will probably be an excellent year for adventures.

Anyway, regarding the topic of the thread, Kings Quest IV should definitely be on this list. Anyway, despite its many shortcomings, I voted for King’s quest V, though I could have equally gone with the more universally accepted Kings Quest VI or the horror b-movie-like extravaganza of Phantasmagoria 1.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top