• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The unofficial/random “games like…”/game recommendation thread

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Contrary to regular games recommendations, here everything is allowed: If you’re just watching “The Mummy” (like myself), you’re free to ask: Can you recommend adventure games like film The Mummy? You’re also free to ask: I want game with… pigs. Don’t expect the legit answer, though. You’re free to ask for a recommendation only after you’ve answered the previous question and explained your recommendation. (or you haven’t explained, because it’s such an obvious and perfect recommendation that it doesn’t need explaining)

I’ll start:

Can you recommend adventure game(s) like film The Mummy?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2011-07-11

PM

Quite obvious answer - Mummy: Tomb of the Pharaoh Smile. Any better or more interesting egyptian adventures didnt come to my mind.

So, since I watched a few hong-kong movies lately, can you recommend adventure game related to this city (as I know only psxs Kowloon’s Gate)?

Currently playing: Ever 17, The Space Bar

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Drolin - 19 June 2013 03:54 AM

So, since I watched a few hong-kong movies lately, can you recommend adventure game related to this city (as I know only psxs Kowloon’s Gate)?

That’s easy - Lost Horizon and Heart of China.

My cat scratched my finger this morning. Any games with cats that so that I can take my revenge?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

What is it about cats in adventure games that leads to bad puzzles?

Either Secret Files: Tunguska with the eavesdropping cat or GK3 with the most famous cat puzzle of them all!

I recently watched the film Source Code which is about a guy who must relive the same 8 minutes in a parallel reality over and over again until he can catch the bad guy and maybe even save the day.

Can anyone recommend a game something like that?

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Intense Degree - 19 June 2013 04:42 AM

I recently watched the film Source Code which is about a guy who must relive the same 8 minutes in a parallel reality over and over again until he can catch the bad guy and maybe even save the day.

The game I thought of first was Time Gentlemen, Please. In the sense that you have to go back in time and stop the bad guy. The only difference is the bad guy is your future self! There’s a short demo available.

I’m cold. I want a game with lots of warm sunny beaches (that isn’t Monkey Island) Smile

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Play any of the old Sierra titles and you’ll die so many times that you’ll relive the same scenes for even more than 8 minutes. (oh, and watch “12:01” and “Groundhog Day”)

Oscar - 19 June 2013 06:01 AM

[I’m cold. I want a game with lots of warm sunny beaches (that isn’t Monkey Island) Smile

Wait for Kinky Island.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

diego - 19 June 2013 04:05 AM

My cat scratched my finger this morning. Any games with cats that so that I can take my revenge?

Here’s your best bet.

This one seems to be good too.

P.S. I’m glad you’re scratched. Serves you right since you keep one of those sleeping-all-the-time furry flea-bags.
(*running for a cover*)

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 19 June 2013 06:43 AM

Serves you right since you keep one of those sleeping-all-the-time furry flea-bags.

Make that five Yum

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

What is it about cats in adventure games that leads to bad puzzles?

Either Secret Files: Tunguska with the eavesdropping cat or GK3 with the most famous cat puzzle of them all!

There is a hint of that in Ghost Trick where you see what happens then time rewinds and you have to do things to prevent it.

I just watched The Hangover. Can anyone recommend a game where you wake up with no memory and have to piece together the events of the past?

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-06-19

PM

What about Orion Burger?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CoyoteAG - 19 June 2013 09:26 AM

There is a hint of that in Ghost Trick where you see what happens then time rewinds and you have to do things to prevent it.

It’s more than a hint, imo.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective has a couple of moments in the game where it lets you go back in time to 4 minutes before a character has died, and you basically have 4 minutes to prevent the character’s death from happening again. If you fail, you can retry and redo the same 4 minutes over and over again until you succeed.
That’s probably the closest example to Source Code that you’ll ever find. Tongue

Also: Source Code was a great film. Director Duncan Jones (the son of David Bowie) has great potential, imo. He also directed Moon, which was a really good film too.

Oscar - 19 June 2013 06:01 AM

The only difference is the bad guy is your future self!

I hope that’s something they tell you early on in the game, and not something you just spoiled… Wink

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

TimovieMan - 19 June 2013 12:14 PM

It’s more than a hint, imo.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective has a couple of moments in the game where it lets you go back in time to 4 minutes before a character has died, and you basically have 4 minutes to prevent the character’s death from happening again. If you fail, you can retry and redo the same 4 minutes over and over again until you succeed.
That’s probably the closest example to Source Code that you’ll ever find. Tongue

Also: Source Code was a great film. Director Duncan Jones (the son of David Bowie) has great potential, imo. He also directed Moon, which was a really good film too.

Having never seen Source Code I wasn’t sure how close the connection was.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CoyoteAG - 19 June 2013 12:18 PM

I suggest you watch that film, I heartily recommend it. Do try to forget what’s been mentioned in this thread first, though (and don’t watch the trailer). The less you know about Source Code going into it, the better. Tongue

I just watched The Hangover. Can anyone recommend a game where you wake up with no memory and have to piece together the events of the past?

I’d be interested in something like that too!

As long as it’s like The Hangover and not like Dude, Where’s My Car? Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

TimovieMan - 19 June 2013 12:24 PM
CoyoteAG - 19 June 2013 12:18 PM

I suggest you watch that film, I heartily recommend it. Do try to forget what’s been mentioned in this thread first, though (and don’t watch the trailer). The less you know about Source Code going into it, the better. Tongue

I’ll check it out…and I’ve already forgotten what was written so I don’t have to worry about it being spoiled for me. Tongue

Total Posts: 932

Joined 2004-03-23

PM

The Source Code was just on TV here but I managed to miss it, though I’ve hoped to see it on TV for a while… Hoping for a rerun Tongue

TimovieMan - 19 June 2013 12:24 PM

As long as it’s like The Hangover and not like Dude, Where’s My Car? Shifty Eyed

From what I’ve seen, Dude, Where’s My Car? is a much better movie than The Hangover Grin I haven’t bothered to actually watch much of the Hangover though (I did see Dude, Where’s My Car by accident once - in the right state of mind it wasn’t actually that bad Tongue)

But this is all off-topic, so my apologies Wink

So, back on topic sort of (and the latest request), I do actually seem to remember playing a game where I was piecing out forgotten memories, but staying in theme, I have completely forgotten what it may have been…

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Source code is a good film and is strong enough that it doesn’t matter if the “science” doesn’t really make sense. Also I don’t think I spoiled anything that you wouldn’t find in any brief synopsis of the film anyway did I?

Thanks for the recommendations guys, although I’m not entirely sure i’ve understood how the thread works! Tongue

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top