• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Tuesday 11 June 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Sometimes my adventure game OCD is bad enough that I play games in languages I don’t understand. Such is the case with the German game above called Vandell: Knight of the Tortured Souls (2002).

Its Blade Runner like design really appealed to me. You play a broken down cop who has never gotten over the murder of his wife and who is investigating a string of murders in a dismal dystopian future.

Despite not knowing German, I was able to play this game all the way through without a walkthrough, though I obviously had no clue what anyone was saying or what was going on specifically in the story. The one thing that tripped me up for a while though was a game mechanic I didn’t know about at first (right mouse button double click!!!) which allows you to read people’s minds. Not that I could understand their thoughts, but you needed that to trigger events in the game.

I did use google translate to help me out on some things though. The funniest was the very first thing I looked up, which was about a jar in my inventory. I couldn’t tell what was in it so I translated the text description which said, “I have no idea what is in here”.  Not exactly the translation I was hoping for…

Anyway, I liked the graphic style and the music was good, though the game is a bit on the short side and seemed to end very abruptly.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Looks very nice. I’m actually currently studying German and finding it super easy as I already have a rather good knowledge of English and a getting-by-knowledge of Swedish. Might want to continue with German just to experience all these untraslated adventures Grin.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I must say that i’m impressed, that you could play an AG in a language you completely don’t understand.

Personally i speak a bit German, and i have often thought about playing some German AG to refresh it, but somehow i have never gotten around to actually doing it.

Oh - and i quite like the graphics of this scene.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I played through Hollywood Monsters in Spanish (and I don’t speak any Spanish). Though I did use a walkthrough more than once, the walkthrough was in Spanish too! Even with the constant use of Google translate, it was a very difficult affair. Only a short while after I finished the game, a fanmade patch with English translation of the text-files was released…

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I remember that my first playthrough of full throttle was in russian. Don’t ask me why, it was just a cd I found in my apartment. I was little and new to AG but i liked the visuals a lot so I was able to go somewhere around the middle of the game. Anyway, russian and bulgarian are kind of similar, but I could understand almost nothing. In spite of that, that was one of the few (half)playthroughs that made me fell in love for the genre.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

isn’t that Tyrell Corp at the back !
The Spinners even the roof top views at this game .. look so much like blade runner

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 11 June 2013 02:30 PM

look so much like blade runner

Can you blame them? Blade Runner is pure awesome! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Dag - 11 June 2013 08:58 AM

I played through Hollywood Monsters in Spanish (and I don’t speak any Spanish). Though I did use a walkthrough more than once, the walkthrough was in Spanish too! Even with the constant use of Google translate, it was a very difficult affair. Only a short while after I finished the game, a fanmade patch with English translation of the text-files was released…

I played Hollywood Monsters in Spanish and had to resort to a walkthrough to finish it as well. Fortunately, I played the game years before the fan patch came out though.

Total Posts: 7439

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’d never heard of this game, but I liked the graphics very much, so I bought and played it. After Bastich’s description I knew what I was letting myself in for. The graphics are undoubtedly the best aspect, the puzzles were uninteresting, and the story is atrociously bad. In case you want to know what you played, Bastich, I will put the gist of it in Rot13, so you won’t see it by accident.

Inaqryy pbzzvggrq nyy gur zheqref uvzfrys. Lrf, ur nyfb xvyyrq gur jbzna ur ybirq. Fbzr qeht be oenva vzcynag be obgu znqr uvz qb vg. Bs pbhefr gur cbbe fbhy qvqa’g ernyvmr ur jnf orvat pbagebyyrq. 

I’m not sorry I played it though.

See you around, wolf. Nerissa

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

That actually sounds like a good ending to me. Tongue

It’s funny how there was nothing in the visuals to clue me in to that. The game ends with you killing some guy and that’s it. Thanks for the information though!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top