• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

luckyloser

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 01 June 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Another Myst-like that I really enjoyed. I’m sure many of you have actually played this one as well. It’s TimeLapse (1996).

My only gripe with this game is the fact that they made the end sequence timed. I don’t even really understand the purpose of timed sequences anymore. Maybe it’s because I’ve played so many games that I have become desensitized to them, but I never feel any tension whatsoever from them.  All I get is annoyed that I am going to have to repeat something over and over again. It seems like such a pointless waste of time.

That said, I’m not going to let such a small part of the game detract from my overall appraisal of it. The puzzles were great, and some of the areas, like the Mayan section, were exceptionally well done. In fact, as someone who loathes Atlantis, I wasn’t even all that bothered by their particular rendition of it. A big thumbs up from me!

The picture above is of a puzzle that might just be one of the the hardest puzzles you have ever encountered if you attempt it before you are fully prepared. Those who have played the game know what I mean.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I really loved this game, except for the rabafratzen bow and arrow puzzle.  I was ready to shoot the narrator after so many unsuccessful tries.  Fortunately I found a workaround (aka a cheat) or I never would have finished the game. 

The timed puzzle you mentioned was a bit of a pain in the patootie because it was unexpected, but I managed it in a few tries once I got my bearings. 

I don’t think the pyramid puzzle in your screenshot can be solved without that strategic piece of paper.  There are just too many variables.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Bastich - 31 May 2013 10:55 PM

I don’t even really understand the purpose of timed sequences anymore. Maybe it’s because I’ve played so many games that I have become desensitized to them, but I never feel any tension whatsoever from them.  All I get is annoyed that I am going to have to repeat something over and over again. It seems like such a pointless waste of time.

I completely agree with this. If there’s anything that can make me reach for walkthroughs, it’s timed sequences. If I’m forced to repeat something more than once, I start clenching my fists and grinding my teeth, and I’m no longer having fun. Forced repetition sucks Tongue If I’ve allready become annoyed by such a sequence, solving it doesn’t give much sense of accomplishment either, I’ll just be glad it’s over.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I recently acquired this game + XP/Win 7/8 installer disc as a freebie after buying a few other older games from a seller. Puzzle-focused games aren’t really my thing but reading the comments I’m looking forward to trying this one hoping I won’t need a walkthrough in hand to get through it!

No, I don’t see the point of timed sequences either - for me they just spoil the flow of a game!

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Timed sequences are fine on a small scale - a very small one. Like say getting a guard to leave a room, then quickly rummaging through his room before he comes back. If you’re too slow, you have to get him out of there again. That kind of stuff is fine, to me anyway.

Timed sequences on a large scale are usually horrible, especially if you lose if you’re not fast enough.

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 01 June 2013 12:36 AM

I really loved this game, except for the rabafratzen bow and arrow puzzle.  I was ready to shoot the narrator after so many unsuccessful tries.  Fortunately I found a workaround (aka a cheat) or I never would have finished the game.

Ditto. Fortunately this was back in the days of saved games. My “cheat” was having someone who had completed the puzzle send me a copy of the saved game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Fortunately for me, it only took me 4 attempts to get past the bow and arrow puzzle.

I noticed on my 2nd shot that the arrowheads were weighted differently and hence reloaded a save twice in a row afterward to make my next two shots with the exact same arrowhead, adjusting aim each time. I was obviously also really lucky in that my first shot was really close to where I needed to be aiming.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

The cheat for the bow and arrow puzzle is built into the game.  I think maybe the designers had trouble with it as well. 

I really liked the morphing heads puzzles.  I have never seen anything quite like them before or since.  Oh, and assembling the skeleton was a bit frustrating but still fun.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Does anyone know if this guy from Timelapse is Richard Biggs from Babylon 5? I’m sure it’s him because he looks and sounds very similar but can’t find him on any cast lists, which is odd.

Millenia? (with the B5 avatar)

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The “very top” priority on my “to do Myst-clones” list… I’ve read it’s one of the hardest Myst-clones, and I really liked the premise of having the journal which is already written documenting places you’re visiting.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

diego - 17 July 2013 12:35 PM

... I’ve read it’s one of the hardest Myst-clones,

It depends on your type of skill. If you are patient and good at observing you will breeze through it. It is not a game requiring hours of abstract thinking. And it’s actually quite fun! (most of the time).

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Zifnab,
I remember looking for a cast list, too, for the same reason, but never found anything.  I think I’ll check the credits the next time I play it.  I also think the voice that says, “Shoot straight when the wind blows” sounds like Robert Beltram (Chakotay) from Star Trek: Voyager.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Zifnab - 17 July 2013 08:18 AM

Does anyone know if this guy from Timelapse is Richard Biggs from Babylon 5? I’m sure it’s him because he looks and sounds very similar but can’t find him on any cast lists, which is odd.

Millenia? (with the B5 avatar)

No idea, but it sure as hell looks like him. I might poke around this game a bit.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

IMDB has the cast list, but Biggs is not on it.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Here is a clip of him talking in the game, definitely sounds like Biggs. If it is, I wonder how he came to appear in a fairly unknown game made in the middle of Babylon 5’s series run.

I also think the voice that says, “Shoot straight when the wind blows” sounds like Robert Beltram (Chakotay) from Star Trek: Voyager.

It does a bit doesn’t it? I think it might be the same Anasazi guy who appears above the fire to tell the prophecy, which is definitely not Robert Beltram.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Zifnab - 17 July 2013 11:44 PM

Here is a clip of him talking in the game, definitely sounds like Biggs. If it is, I wonder how he came to appear in a fairly unknown game made in the middle of Babylon 5’s series run.

Yeah, if it isn’t him it certainly is quite a doppelganger. Is it possible that the production of the game took a while, maybe it was shot before B5 became a big thing? I can only find the IMDb cast list and it has a handful of names so it’s quite likely everyone isn’t credited. I don’t know if some die hard fan could know if it is him for sure (and how they got him), Biggs himself is regrettably already dead.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top