• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: A Vampyre Story

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, your eyes don’t deceive you!It is true! A Vampyre Story, also known as “almost there” in most of the playthrough votings, this time made it. I proudly welcome you all to the AVS community playthrough.

First of all, let’s have some info about the game’s whereabouts. A Vampyre Story is a 2008 classic point-and-click 3rd person adventure game (a welcome change from the first-person games that had overwhelmed the AGCPs rescently),developed by Autumn Moon Entertainment for Windows, published by Crimson Cow (Its founder and creative director being Bill Tiller). As you can imagine, the game is highly recognizable by its amazing background graphics. It is set in Europe during the 1890s. It is the story of Mona, a beautiful and talented opera singer and (surprise surprise) a vampire along with her best friend, Froderick the bat, to escape from her hostage and return to Paris. I do warn all the contestants however: The game ends on a major cliffhanger. A sequel was supposed to be made, called A Vampyre Story 2: a Bat’s Tale, (http://www.abatstale.com/). It looked very promising but unfortunately, there were problems with either the graphic engine or the publishers (I’m not really sure what…but it had be something about money. It always does.) and it was never published. This means that you will be in a cliffhanger for a long time - perhaps forever. However, a Kickstarter for a prequel is anounced that will start next week (stay tuned for more info) called AVS: Year one. I believe that if this Kickstarter goes well, then probably the sequel will also be funded.
Being a Bill Tiller point’n click, AVS uses the familiar “coin” technique, where 4 actions are available. Take, Look, use and…fly in bat form.
I would also like to comment on the inventory system, where a unique concept is adopted with emphasis on realism. When Mona finds something she can use but cannot carry with
her all the time, the “thought” of the item will be added at the inventory so that it can be used the time she really wants it when you click on the thought. (It is simpler
than it sounds. You will see it in action).

I don’t expect any technical difficulties, since it is a far more rescent game than TSB or CCS (the last two AGCPs), but I’ll give 3 more days so that everyone has their copies available and any possible technical problem is analyzed. We will officially begin on 3/6. Unlike the CCS playthrough, this will be a fast pace one. The game can be seperated in three parts and each part will be played within a week. The riddles are of medium difficulty and that’s a good thing. Many hotspots available with different comments (that’s also a good thing) will slow you down, but I’m positive that we can make it! :)

PS 1: As always, I expect that all participants will remain on-topic in their posts, use spoiler tags when necessary and generally join with a kind-heart spirit.

PS 2: Pin the Thread!! :)

PS 3: Coincidence or not, a thread for the prequel was made almost simultaneously with this one

PS 4: Whoever is ready to play (meaning: has the game and no technical problems appear), please confirm it.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Nice, no more excuses not to play and finish it! Tongue And the timing seems perfect with the episodic prequel Kickstarter coming tomorrow, although I’m sure those who already finished AVS would rather a full-fledged sequel, but it’s better than nothing.

I’ve already started the game, and I’m familiar with the first segment of the game ‘cause I’ve finished it earlier. I still forgot some of the puzzles so I’m playing it from the start.

I see where some of the negative critics came from, but I must say I enjoy again the banter between Mona and Froderick, it’s just that you need to arm yourself with patience and enjoy the surroundings (with some excellent music). And it’s hard to match the humor of Callahan’s, for example, but it’s not that AVS is completely without its tricks up the sleeves in that department, too.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 30 May 2013 08:52 AM

I’ve already started the game.

I like your enthusiasm, but you should better wait another 3 days so we all can start it together.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Installed and ready to go. First time playing it. I’m finishing Deponia right now (at least I think I’m near the end), looks like they are 2 similar games to compare (comic adventure, gorgeous backgrounds).

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Installed and ready.

I’ve begun exploring hotspots in the first few screens, I’m gonna take my time with the game this time around, and explore every response there is. I promise I won’t begin doing any puzzles before we get started together Smile

I did play through the game back in 2008 when it had just released, but I’m happy to say that it’s allready apparent that I don’t really remember that much of it. I really appreciate the amount of responses there are to actions, the backgrounds are just bloody fantastic (on every new screen I’ll just sit back and enjoy the view for 5 minutes before playing), the music is well composed and fits the game brilliantly and I too enjoy the banter between Froderick and Mona. Though the humour is very children friendly, I still find it mildly amuzing, and I don’t mind the amount of dialogue at all. The game is clearly a labour of love, and it fills me with pleasant Lucasarts-vibes of old. Really looking forward to playing it again! Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Ok i give up, i am in ... ‘why give up?’, because i have this game installed for more than 6 months and never had the chance to start replying because of the long list of adventures i wanna roll. plus my opinion about AVS which i expressed at diego’s lets play that AVS doesn’t have that intense way of gameplaying to gather players around it(imo) .. but what the heck it won the votes ,Right?
hallelujah!

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Not installed yet but I plan to buy the game this weekend and join you. I just need to finish this one assignment tomorrow and I’ll go. Hopefully the game will work without hiccups. (I wouldn’t have time to sort the problems out before weekend anyway.)

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 460

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Sefir - 30 May 2013 08:32 AM

PS 2: Pin the Thread!! Smile

Done.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III, Control: Ultimate Edition
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This will be a replay for me, but it has been long enough that I don’t remember much about the puzzles.  I’ll be ready to go next week.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Having played A Vampyre Story when it was first released I didn’t know whether I really wanted to replay it just yet. But I’ve dug out the disc, installed it & played through the introduction just to make sure it worked okay on Win 7 which it does (I originally played it on XP). That has now got me in the mood to join the playthrough but I will wait until it officially starts before starting the gameplay!

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Also installed. Bit of a problem with the DirectX, but otherwise everything seems fine. I did start the game just to make sure it worked, but I don’t think I have uncovered any secrets. Am axiously awaiting the green flag.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I’ve never participated in a community playthrough before, but I purchased A Vampyre Story a while back and could just never really get into it.  Maybe playing with the group will motivate me more.  I’m in. 

EDIT: I reinstalled and tested the game since I recently upgraded.  I’ve overclocked my GPU and now I’m good to go.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I think i’m going to give this a go. I got it shortly after release but gave up on it pretty quickly, however, it’s got to be worth another go, now to find the disc…

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

AVS installed, patched and tested + Ample supplies of thick salty merlot with an aftertaste of iron ready at hand.

I other words i am ready to start.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Still don’t see a sale, dammit!  Shifty Eyed

I think I’ll buy and install this tomorrow anyway, the assignment is done.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-05-31

PM

I will try to play this game…hope will be more interesting cos I never finished it before… Innocent

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top