• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

My Dune

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 31 May 2013

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

This is definitely one of my favorite Myst-like games. Every time I look at a screenshot from this game, I want to play it again because its design is so awesome. A mansion full of pop surrealist art is about as good as it gets for me.

By contrast, games like Riven or “rocks and plumbing” as I describe it and those that copy its style, are utterly unappealing to me visually. I’ve owned a copy of Riven since the day it was released and only got around to playing it this year because of this (Riven’s gameplay OTOH, is utterly awesome).

Unfortunately, photo-realistic renditions of rocks and stuff seem to be far more popular in such games than the type of art I enjoy, so even though I strongly prefer the gameplay of 1st person Myst-like games, I usually gravitate towards 3rd person games where the art is more to my liking even though I don’t care for inventory puzzles very much.

Anyway, 9: The Last Resort (1996), which is pictured above, is one of the few games that allows me to enjoy both at the same time, and for that I happily overlook its minor flaws.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Everything about this game is awesome.  Funny, bizarre, challenging, tons of originality…...and a lot of wtf Smile  Definitely got to play this again soon.

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This is one that I bought and haven’t played yet.  I think I’ll move it a bit higher in my to-be-played pile.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Wow, looks brilliant. Have to add this to my long list.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Though I disagree about Bastich’s harsh comments about Riven (which I consider the greatest game of all time), I must admit that this one looks beautiful too! Added to my list.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The way you started with the surreal adventures, I’m expecting Blue Ice tomorrow Wink

Anyway, I have a question for you - the thing that “bothered” me for years is when I’ve browsed through some screenshots (I believe for the quiz sake), I got confused about Bad Day on the Midway and The Last Resort, and somehow always mixed up the two - not only because they have the similar distinct graphic style, but if you look at this screenshot or this one from Bad Day on the Midway, and this one from The Last Resort, they feature the very similar “eye” - is it a coincidence, or is there some connection between the games?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Another reason you might want to play this game is: “It is most notable for involving some of the most famous people ever in a computer game including Robert De Niro, Cher, James Belushi, Christopher Reeve and a couple of guys out of the rock band Aerosmith.”  (thanks to Moby games).

They added a lot to this game.

done relentlessly promoting this game

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Sefir - 31 May 2013 06:07 AM

Though I disagree about Bastich’s harsh comments about Riven (which I consider the greatest game of all time), I must admit that this one looks beautiful too! Added to my list.

You did notice the part where I said Riven had utterly awesome gameplay, right? I think it’s an awesome game as well and fully deserving of all the accolades it has received. It just doesn’t appeal to me visually. Kind of like Anna Paquin. (I just finished watching some True Blood).

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

diego - 31 May 2013 07:01 AM

The way you started with the surreal adventures, I’m expecting Blue Ice tomorrow Wink

I haven’t played it. In fact, I just checked my game list and I don’t own it either. (Yes, I have so many games that I don’t know what I own off the top of my head). Not that that stops me from posting a screenshot of it, but I wouldn’t have anything to say…

Anyway, I have a question for you - the thing that “bothered” me for years is when I’ve browsed through some screenshots (I believe for the quiz sake), I got confused about Bad Day on the Midway and The Last Resort, and somehow always mixed up the two - not only because they have the similar distinct graphic style, but if you look at this screenshot or this one from Bad Day on the Midway, and this one from The Last Resort, they feature the very similar “eye” - is it a coincidence, or is there some connection between the games?

There is no connection that I am aware of. There doesn’t seem to be any people in common between the two games.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top