• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

looking for more retro style adventure games—any help?

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2013-05-25

PM

hello. as the title sugguests, i’m in a retro style adventure game playing mode. I have already played Gemini Rue, Resonance, Primordia, Blackwell series and I’m hoping to find more games like those. it can be quite old or new but it should be in old graphic retro style. any more suggestions??

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2013-05-06

PM

Might be too retro, but just published the first version of a Colossal Cave Adventure style game for iPhone that is purely text based and tries to simulate an old cursor VDU style. First go at a game so any feedback appreciated!

Called Tresaria and the App Store link is here:

Tresaria Forum

Can get you a promo code if you just want to test it out.

Follow Glandalu on Twitter: @glandalu

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

Have you looked into Fester Mudd: Curse of the Gold - Episode 1: A Fistful of Pocket Lint? It’s very retro.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/23334

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

It might be a bit too obvious, but if you are looking for Retro Style AG, why not play some of the good old games, from when the style wasn’t retro yet?

There are plenty of old games that are still worth playing, and many can be found at GOG.com, i can even recommend some if you write what kind of games you are interested in, apart from the retro style.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Assuming that you’ve allready played the adventure games from Lucasarts and Sierra (if not, then I could give no better recommendation), I’d recommend:

Duckman: Legend of the Fall/Adventures of a Private Dick
Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
Touché: Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer
Beneath a Steel Sky
Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Simon the Sorcerer 1&2
Discworld 1&2
Toonstruck
Broken Sword 1&2

All of these are wonderful 2D hand drawn adventures from the early to mid nineties with great voice acting, clever puzzles and humour.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-05-25

PM

i haven’t played much older games. I’m not especially looking retro styled new games, older games will do the job as well. But as i said i especially look for games that has graphics like Gemini Rue or Blackwell. old,new it doesnt matter. i haven’t played any Lucasarts games or Sierra with that graphics. Can you give me names of nice old (Lucasarts,Sierra or other) or new (except Wadjet Eye games of course) games with that graphic style. Thanks for recommendation Dag and Iznogood by the way, i’ll look to them. anyway I’m looking forward for ur replies

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

For graphics that somewhat matches the style of most Wadjet Eye games, I’d recommend you look up Loom. It uses more colors than the WE ones, but I’d still put it in the same category - however with a completely different type of story.

Edit: Oh, and the perfect bleak adventure is probably I Have No Mouth, And I Must Scream - although it uses a very different art style than WE games.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well if you haven’t played any of the old Lucasarts or Sierra games, then you have a lot to look forward too.

You can pretty much start with the whole Lucasarts Catalog

Personally i would probably start with the Monkey Island series.
(The first 2 also exists in a special edition, if you can tired of the retro style graphics)
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
But don’t forget to also play Grim Fandango at some point, even though it might not be quite what you are looking for, then it is simply a great game.

I can also recommend the first Gabriel Knight game Sins of the Fathers.
And the Broken Sword series, at very least the first one The Shadow of the Templars

Then there is also the whole Kings Quest series, especially King’s Quest VI: Heir Today, Gone Tomorrow and King’s Quest VII: The Princeless Bride

And then there is the Discworld series Iⅈ and Discworld Noir. Noir might not be quite retro enough for you, but it is a great game and the best in the series.

And….

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I would recommend Fester Mudd as well as Al Emmo. To the Moon as well.

This type of question comes up all the time, and, I’ll me honest, it often confuses me.

While not necessarily rocket science, playing “Retro” games such as Grim Fandango on modern equipment does require jumping through a technology hoop or two. Or does the author want to play “Retro-style” games with no hoop jumping involved?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-05-25

PM

thanks for replies folks. much appreciated. i’ll look into the Lucas arts games first and then the other oldie games with similar graphics of my taste. and i think only developer/publisher who makes games with those graphics at nowadays is Wadjet Games. If you know any nowadays games with those graphics apart from Wadjet please let me know. i heard fester mudd. broken sword 2 is the game who made me love adventure games and my all time favorite. anyway thank you all

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Iznogood - 25 May 2013 06:31 PM

Well if you haven’t played any of the old Lucasarts or Sierra games, then you have a lot to look forward too.

Indeed! The Lucasarts adventure games are widely recognized as the very best ever made. You can treat yourself to a wide selection of truly amazing games now. I really envy you Smile

My personal favourite of the Lucasarts catalogue is Curse of Monkey Island (Monkey Island 3), but Monkey Island 1&2 (which are just as good) are probably a bit closer to your graphical preferences, and you’d probably want to play them in order. Like Izno mentioned, there are special editions of the first two where you can switch between the retro graphics and updated HD graphics with the click of a button. I recommend getting the special editions anyway, because there’s no voice acting in the originals.

Of the Sierra catalogue, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and Kings Quest 6 are among my favourites, and should match your visual taste quite well, but they are quite a bit harder than the Wadjet Eye games, with some really tough puzzles, possible deaths (so you’ll need to save often) and even a possible dead-end or two Wink

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2013-05-25

PM

Dag - 25 May 2013 07:36 PM
Iznogood - 25 May 2013 06:31 PM

Indeed! The Lucasarts adventure games are widely recognized as the very best ever made. You can treat yourself to a wide selection of truly amazing games now. I really envy you Smile

My personal favourite of the Lucasarts catalogue is Curse of Monkey Island (Monkey Island 3), but Monkey Island 1&2 (which are just as good) are probably a bit closer to your graphical preferences, and you’d probably want to play them in order. Like Izno mentioned, there are special editions of the first two where you can switch between the retro graphics and updated HD graphics with the click of a button. I recommend getting the special editions anyway, because there’s no voice acting in the originals.

Of the Sierra catalogue, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers and Kings Quest 6 are among my favourites, and should match your visual taste quite well, but they are quite a bit harder than the Wadjet Eye games, with some really tough puzzles, possible deaths (so you’ll need to save often) and even a possible dead-end or two Wink

Why envy me my friend Smile i guess when u were really into playing there was no such a wide selection. anyway i played monkey island how can i not:). but will look into sierra as well. you have been most helpful thank you sir. regards to norway:))

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

retro41 - 25 May 2013 07:56 PM

Why envy me my friend Smile

Hehe, as someone who’s very passionate about retro adventure games, I’m extremely happy for you, being in the position that you are with some of the very finest games ahead of you. If you enjoy them half as much as I did, you have some great times to look forward to Smile

i guess when u were really into playing there was no such a wide selection.

You’re right, when I got into adventure games, there was Kings Quest: Quest for the crown. And 4 colors. And that was it. Fortunately, the selection (and the amount of colors) expanded with time Wink

you have been most helpful thank you sir. regards to norway:))

It was my pleasure, I enjoy spreading the word about these games to people who’d enjoy them. I hope you’ll find something to your liking Smile

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Get Dragonsphere and Beneath a Steel Sky free from GOG right now. Both are excellent.

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/dragonsphere
http://www.gog.com/gamecard/beneath_a_steel_sky

Total Posts: 122

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Dag - 25 May 2013 02:52 PM

Assuming that you’ve allready played the adventure games from Lucasarts and Sierra (if not, then I could give no better recommendation), I’d recommend:

Duckman: Legend of the Fall/Adventures of a Private Dick
Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity
Touché: Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer
Beneath a Steel Sky
Bud Tucker in Double Trouble
Flight of the Amazon Queen
Simon the Sorcerer 1&2
Discworld 1&2
Toonstruck
Broken Sword 1&2

All of these are wonderful 2D hand drawn adventures from the early to mid nineties with great voice acting, clever puzzles and humour.

Agreed, all those games are awesome. Don’t forget the second Beavis and Butthead adventure game, “Beavis and Butthead Do U”.

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Sounds like the game you’re looking for is Beneath a Steel Sky. It’s free and it’s awesome.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top