• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieJdawg445nouramrfouad94

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Just finished the 3rd episode, and i loved it.
IMO it is the best episode so far, both in regard to the story and the puzzles.
Well done

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone, so glad you liked it! Haha, I’m afraid Episode 4 won’t be out next week, however. Wink It’s looking like sometime this summer—as always, exact date is TBD.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Well, I just finished Episode 3 and I liked it very much.  This one felt very different from the prior two, with its tight narrative focus.  I really loved the background art in this episode; that and the music which seems to get better with each ep.  It does seem like each episode is a little shorter than the last.  But the story continues to be very involving; this is one of the few adventure games where I have to play it through quickly to find out what happens.  Puzzles were very good.  I especially liked the Erica/Cordelia interaction puzzles, but my favorite was figuring out the safe combination puzzle.  I’m really looking forward to the conclusion; I hope you guys can keep it up and finish strong.  As I’ve said before, just take your time and make it as good as possible.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thanks Interplay! Glad you enjoyed the episode Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

Interplay - 19 May 2013 11:13 PM

... but my favorite was figuring out the safe combination puzzle.

That’s weird, for me that was one of the things that kinda almost ruined the experience since I had to use a walkthrough, I found it very misleading.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

It’s through! Very nice episode, I think I agree it being the best so far. I’ve always liked these kind of puzzles and the whole story was very intense.

There was one glitch in the game for me. For some reason very late in the game the fireplace in the study is lit, even though Erica keeps describing it with “hasn’t been used in years”. With this (or because of this) handling the desk phone got me stuck. The exit button stopped working. This happened twice. Luckily my saves weren’t that far (I actually played like 3 hours straight without saving just before saving 5 mins before this, so yay for good luck!).

Can’t wait for the last episode.

Keregioz - 20 May 2013 02:32 PM

That’s weird, for me that was one of the things that kinda ruined the experience since I had to use a walkthrough, I found it very misleading.

I found the puzzle very good but it took me a while because of my own mental hiccup: for some reason I kept thinking Wise Monkey “suffered” before Sully and just couldn’t get over this misconception until I checked from hints that I was on the right track, and then I just started completely over again and finally it hit me.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

millenia - 20 May 2013 04:38 PM
Keregioz - 20 May 2013 02:32 PM

That’s weird, for me that was one of the things that kinda ruined the experience since I had to use a walkthrough, I found it very misleading.

I found the puzzle very good but it took me a while because of my own mental hiccup: for some reason I kept thinking Wise Monkey “suffered” before Sully and just couldn’t get over this misconception until I checked from hints that I was on the right track, and then I just started completely over again and finally it hit me.

I made the exact same mistake. At first I thought I didn’t connect the colours to the right people or that one of the colours was actually a bit different, but then it hit me as well. I was already considering checking a walkthrough/the hints section, as I felt that I had the right solution and wasn’t doing anything wrong. But I was wrong and didn’t have the right solution. Grin

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I’m a little but surprised that there has not yet been a review here of Episode 3, and also that no one posted a User Review yet (except me). Has anyone played the episode? What are your thoughts? I thought it was AWESOME! Smile I’m usually not a big fan of episodic gaming.

I must say that I really liked the first 2 episodes of Cognition , however I must say that I LOVED the third instalment. It is actually the best adventure gaming I have done in a very long time when playing a newly released adventure game. The developers almost nailed everything with this game and took the good parts from the past episodes and made them even better. Really fun and fair puzzles to solve in this in this episode, and what I particularly liked was that you play as 2 different characters both in the present and past, which is a really nice way to solve puzzles with help from Erica’s cognition powers. This episode alone is worth waiting for even if you did not like the first 2 episodes. Also the story and the character development are both awesome. 2 thumbs up Phoenix Online, you just became one of my favourite contemporary adventure game studios.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

There are few comments on the other thread. There seems to be a consensus that the episode is the best so far. I loved it too. Very impressed how they managed to make such a full and enjoyable game with such a small KS goal. I personally heard about the kickstarter only after it was finished, would have surely backed it up otherwise.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I must say that I really liked the first 2 episodes of Cognition , however I must say that I LOVED the third instalment. It is actually the best adventure gaming I have done in a very long time when playing a newly released adventure game. The developers almost nailed everything with this game and took the good parts from the past episodes and made them even better. Really fun and fair puzzles to solve in this in this episode, and what I particularly liked was that you play as 2 different characters both in the present and past, which is a really nice way to solve puzzles with help from Erica’s cognition powers. This episode alone is worth waiting for even if you did not like the first 2 episodes. Also the story and the character development are both awesome. 2 thumbs up Phoenix Online, you just became one of my favourite contemporary adventure game studios.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 112

Joined 2003-10-18

PM

So, I also want to share my experience playing cognition. I started playing the first episode back when it initially came out and I must say in the beginning I was really put off by the badly designed character models, the stereotypical characters, the unoriginal cliched plot and the average writing. I gave up on it pretty soon but it still remained on my desktop just in case a day came that I was bored enough to give it another try. A couple of weeks later that day came and I decided to give it another chance, and it turns out it was one of the best decisions I’ve made. A little further in to the game its better qualities start to shine through (like the puzzles) and manages to overcome some of the drawbacks I first noticed (the story becomes much more interesting the more you play).

Fast forward to present day, having just finished recently the 3rd episode I can say for sure that, despite some of its shortcomings, this is one of the most enjoyable adventure games I’ve played recently. Just wanted to say good job to everyone involved.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thank you so much guys! Keregioz, I’m glad we were able to change your mind. It’s great seeing people are enjoying this as much as enjoyed making it—or maybe more Wink it’s great motivation to make sure Ep4 comes out just as well, too! Thank you for sharing. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Primate Ryan - 20 May 2013 08:26 PM
millenia - 20 May 2013 04:38 PM

I made the exact same mistake. At first I thought I didn’t connect the colours to the right people or that one of the colours was actually a bit different, but then it hit me as well. I was already considering checking a walkthrough/the hints section, as I felt that I had the right solution and wasn’t doing anything wrong. But I was wrong and didn’t have the right solution. Grin

It’s obviously a slight flaw with the puzzle/script as we also made the same “mistake” - exactly the same thing happening to us all makes it unlikely we were all just being dense Wink.

But in total, like almost everyone else, we definitely found it the best so far. The script/dialogue earlier episodes (especially episode 2) were a weak point, but here there was little which jarred. Pacing was excellent, music top-notch again, and generally logical, well-intergrated puzzles with a sensible difficulty level. Only the necklace puzzle seemed a bit odd/far-fetched, but maybe we didn’t totally click the intention.

Personally I found the length just right - don’t know how the reviewer thinks 3 hours would be typical for an experienced adventure gamer, I think 5-10 as estimated by Niclas sounds more like it to me. Anyway, definitely a pat on the back for Phoenix Online, and really looking forward to the final part…even if I’m not sure what reasonable twists they can still manage…

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I had to come back and post in this thread now that I’m about halfway through episode 3.

I’ve played tons, hundreds, of adventure games. And it’s rare that I am surprised/amazed etc. but I just wanted to say without spoilers that the journals found in episode 3 is one of the coolest adventure game items I’ve ever come across. Just ... Awesome.

Totally agree with the AG review, episode 3 is fantastic and excellent, clever storytelling. Episode 1 and 2 were good but episode 3 makes them even better in retrospect. Episode 3 is the strongest use of episodic gaming I’ve seen and sets the bar on how to do it.

Great job Phoenix.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Wow, thank you Phod! That’s great to hear, so glad you’re enjoying it. And I can’t wait to hear what you think of the rest of the episode, too! Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top