• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelluckyloserTheTMD

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Official LSL Box Art Contest (e-tailers)!

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Please help spread the word (on Twitter, online forums, etc.) to all the talented artists out there. This is your chance to maybe contribute to some of the official online promotion for the awesome new Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded game. Let’s give Larry’s comeback the kind of epic, slick or otherwise memorable cover art it deserves. I know there are some excellent artists out there in the adventure game community.

DEADLINE: MAY 8, 2013

from Josh Mandel’s latest game update:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/leisuresuitlarry/make-leisure-suit-larry-come-again/posts/467281

We’ve been sending the Collector’s Box art to various e-tailers who, although selling only a non-boxed digital version of the game, like to – or insist on – a mocked-up box for their websites. Since a lot of people have seen the Collector’s Box art and thought we shouldn’t be using it for marketing purposes, we’re going to start a contest (today or tomorrow) for all aspiring commercial artists. Details for the contest can – or shortly will be – available on the Replay forums, https://forums.replaygamesinc.com/  There will be a separate subforum just for this contest; there, you’ll be able to find the exact rules, and you’re free to post your submissions on the forum for critique (although official entries will need to be sent directly to Replay per the rules you’ll find on the Contest subforum).

Official rules:
https://forums.replaygamesinc.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=900

1. The dimensions of the front of the mock box should be 10.25 x 8.75. The top and left side should also be visible. Four separate files should be sent in PSD or other high-res format:
a. Complete 3-D Box mock-up;
b. Front of the box;
c. Side of the box;
d. Top flap of the box
2. Please include contact information with each entry.
3. All submissions must be sent to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) by midnight on 5/8/2013 to qualify.
4. The decisions of the judges are final.
5. The winner will be awarded a special credit in the game AND will have a choice of having either Al Lowe or Josh Mandel record the greeting on the winner’s answering machine or voicemail. No further prizes will be awarded.
6. We can not guarantee that the winning entry will be used on any/all particular e-tailer websites. However, the prizes will be awarded independent of whether and how much the winning entry is used.
7. All entries become the sole property of Replay Games, Inc.
8. All artists are encouraged to sign their work!

SOME BACKGROUND: A Replay Games forum thread discussing the collector’s edition box art, where some people express concerns about that art and other art being used to promote Larry Reloaded online:
https://forums.replaygamesinc.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=881
(a good read)

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

lol. IMO they shouldnt call this a contest, but a donation request.
Though, i dont really see the problem with the box art they planned on using.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 30 April 2013 06:05 AM

Though, i dont really see the problem with the box art they planned on using.

I think this excellent game deserves a lot better promotional art than that. Hopefully this contest will produce something much better. I think the opportunity to contribute online promotional art for a new Leisure Suit Larry is quite a prize in itself. There are many adventure gamers (like me, though I have no artistic talent) who very much want to see the game succeed, so I think it’s great that such people are given the opportunity to contribute using their artistic talent.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

They got some really great entries!

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

For those interested, the winner of the box cover art contest was announced.

Here it is, by artist Tom King:

I have to be honest. I think it looks cheap and babyish. Like a “Muppet Babies” version of the Larry character. Apparently this artist worked on some of the collector’s box that many hated and thought wasn’t up to the standard of being able to be used for online marketing, which apparently led in part to the creation of the contest. Hmmm.

Here is another entry posted on their forum, from someone with screen name TAHR:

This one looks so much more professional to me. But perhaps they felt bad for the other artist getting his other work so badly rejected the first time. Still, seems like they ended up not choosing the best box art.

Nevertheless, the game itself is looking great!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

the original piece they intented to use was indeed pretty bad. It had good elements in it, but it was a mash of styles, that just didn’t work well together. This one is better, but it’s not setting the world in fire either.

The second piece is nice as well, but the anatomy and the pose of the woman in background kills it.

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I think they should have chosen the second one, since it was done by an obviously superior artist, and then if they had concerns about the girl’s pose they could have requested an edit. As it is they chose a cover (presumably to market the game online) that looks cheap and not reflective of the game’s quality. Oh, well.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I agree, the second looks better.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

Wow. I know it sounds really mean, but I’m glad I didn’t pledge for a boxed copy, that art is just awful. Second one is better, but I’m not particularly thrilled by it either.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The second one is much more appropriate for a box cover even though the girl and the man in the background would need a little bit work to resemble the style of Larry even more. The first artwork is not that bad, but it’s definitely more “casual” version, or something you’d see rather on the back or inside cover.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 15 May 2013 11:56 AM

The second one is much more appropriate for a box cover even though the girl and the man in the background would need a little bit work to resemble the style of Larry even more. The first artwork is not that bad, but it’s definitely more “casual” version, or something you’d see rather on the back or inside cover.

^ This.

The first one is “backup” art (for the back of the box or on the booklet), and the second one (while better) still needs a lot of work on the two people in the background.

Neither are really good enough, though. Surely there were better submissions than these?

Oh well, it’s not like the box art is going to be a decisive factor for the sales of this game anyway, so this is all moot… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

I really like the second one. Has that classic 90’s look.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 15 May 2013 01:23 PM

On the bright side, the art could be much worse.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/space-quest-6-roger-wilco-in-the-spinal-frontier/cover-art/gameCoverId,221/

If you think that Roger Wilco one is bad, then you forgot about *this* monstrosity… Wink

Both Larry box covers are great compared to that one…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I actually quite like the babe on the car in the second picture Smile, though i have to agree
that she doesn’t quite look like the art style we are use too from the Larry games. (bigger boobs perhaps?)

Still i quite like the second one and it certainly the best the best of the two, not that it matters much for me personally as i only buy download games nowadays.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 114

Joined 2007-08-24

PM

Gonchi - 15 May 2013 10:16 AM

Wow. I know it sounds really mean, but I’m glad I didn’t pledge for a boxed copy, that art is just awful. Second one is better, but I’m not particularly thrilled by it either.

Wait, I thought this was just for the e-tailers? Oy, if that’s indeed going to be it… I’m gonna have to hide this ugly duck in a dark, lonely corner somewhere. Not exactly what I had in mind.  Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top