• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I’ve never read Stephanie Meyer but I’m 99% sure if Twilight were an adventure game series we’d praise it as much as Gabe Knight.

One of the most ridiculous, offensive things I’ve read on this website. Bravo.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oh come on, it’s not like Gabriel Knight is a masterpiece of modern English literature. It’s not Stephanie Meyer-level bad, but it’s still about a guy searching for meaning in his life while finding out that vampires, werewolves and ghosts are real.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I think Stephanie Meyer is bashed way too much, she’s not all that bad people make her out to be. I haven’t read more than the first novel and don’t really like the movies (I managed to finish the first one and half of the second one). Her writing is fluff as it’s meant to be. It’s also aimed for teen audience. Personally I would think that from teen targeted books Harry Potter would make a lot better adventure game but Twilight series could be good too, it all depends on the implementation. Adventure games can surely have a supernatural romance theme and I guess there are some kind of greater struggles involved in the story.

But GK is basically supernatural noir, Twilight is paranormal teen romance - I don’t think they can really be compared.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do agree, I wouldn’t compare Janes writing to Twilight. I usually don’t have an issue with the names she uses, like Gabriel Knight for an example, as it is pretty plausible name in real life as well.

But the name Malachi Rector just rings like a fake name. It’s something Terry Pratchett would use as a parody name for a villain, while his hero would be Bertie Beaneater (because he likes beans).

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

millenia - 13 May 2013 08:08 AM

Personally I would think that from teen targeted books Harry Potter would make a lot better adventure game

Might I throw in, both as a name and a series of books that would/could make a good game:

Skullduggery Pleasant.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

zane - 12 May 2013 10:39 PM

are there any options to purchase the episodes drm free yet?

Yes—the game’s been DRM for a while now, actually. You can get it at our online store (store.postudios.com) in fact. Smile

LOL, yeah, making claims that something is as badly written as Twilight without knowing anything other than the name of a character is a bit of a stretch, Lamb. Also, have you even read Twilight? If so, I’m gonna have myself a good long laugh over that one. Smile

I agree about names—they’re important in a story! They’re one way you convey a sense of a person to the reader, or player. I also generally put a lot of thought into character names myself. You also need to like the name of your main character—even if some other people might not be big fans.

And thanks for the comments & support everyone! We’re really excited—can’t wait for Thursday! Grin

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

KatieHal - 13 May 2013 09:28 AM

LOL, yeah, making claims that something is as badly written as Twilight without knowing anything other than the name of a character is a bit of a stretch, Lamb. Also, have you even read Twilight? If so, I’m gonna have myself a good long laugh over that one. Smile

Heh…no, I haven’t read it.  My knowledge of Twilight comes from my wife reading the first book and a half and then putting the series down in disgust after ranting about the writing sounding like something a teenage girl would write in her high school creative writing class.  I think she may have read me a few passages to demonstrate this, as well.  Wink  I have seen bits of the first movie on TV though.  Never sat down and watched it at length though. 

When I made the Stephanie Meyer comparison, I was really just referring to naming conventions.  Bella Swan anyone??

Actually, looking at the list of character names on wikipedia—Bella Swan aside—I’d say that Stephanie Meyer’s names are BETTER than Jensen’s, for the most part.  Tsk tsk tsk.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Twilight_characters

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Just a reminder that the launch stream is tomorrow at 11 AM PST/2 PM EST at http://www.youtube.com/postudios Smile We’ll be doing some giveaways during the stream as well!

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Gabriel Knight is a lovely name and at the same time not so horribly rare. I personally have also liked Malachi but I agree that it is a rather distinctive name. One might consider though that certain families use certain names, especially if they have a long history in some religious or cultural areas, it’s really not that far fetched then. I’m not really sure how it is in Moebius but basically parents tend to name their kids with the names they like, and if those parents happen to be anthropologists or archaeologists…

Personally I think John Smith would be a rather sucky name. Not because a protagonist name should have a deeper meaning, but I’d like to remember the name and distinguish it from all the other thousands of characters. Besides, I meet people with funny or weird names every day in my real life too. Way too often I see people going on how fiction is unrealistic because the events or people are or act too abnormally, when in reality all the things that happen aren’t exactly all logical and normal. And if an author wishes to add some symbolism to his/her story with certain types of names, it’s his/her vision and I don’t consider it ridiculous.

So. Malachi is fine for me and so is Erica. Erica Reed was also used in Prison Break or somewhere (didn’t watch that show).

And awaiting episode 3. Won’t have time to play it until next week though, but at least I don’t have to be grinding my teeth in case the dl links get delayed or something.

Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

millenia - 15 May 2013 06:52 PM

Gabriel Knight is a lovely name and at the same time not so horribly rare. I personally have also liked Malachi but I agree that it is a rather distinctive name. One might consider though that certain families use certain names, especially if they have a long history in some religious or cultural areas, it’s really not that far fetched then. I’m not really sure how it is in Moebius but basically parents tend to name their kids with the names they like, and if those parents happen to be anthropologists or archaeologists…

Personally I think John Smith would be a rather sucky name. Not because a protagonist name should have a deeper meaning, but I’d like to remember the name and distinguish it from all the other thousands of characters. Besides, I meet people with funny or weird names every day in my real life too. Way too often I see people going on how fiction is unrealistic because the events or people are or act too abnormally, when in reality all the things that happen aren’t exactly all logical and normal. And if an author wishes to add some symbolism to his/her story with certain types of names, it’s his/her vision and I don’t consider it ridiculous.

So. Malachi is fine for me and so is Erica. Erica Reed was also used in Prison Break or somewhere (didn’t watch that show).

And awaiting episode 3. Won’t have time to play it until next week though, but at least I don’t have to be grinding my teeth in case the dl links get delayed or something.

You’ve missed the point entirely (and judging by some of the other comments, it seems many others probably have, too.)  It has nothing to do with the rarity of the name.  It has to do with the name being prophetic—essentially being clearly designed from the get-go to have some kind of symbolic or double meaning within the context of the story.  That’s the kind of thing we’re saying is cheap and overdone in fiction of all types.  I personally see it as a writer trying too hard to tie everything together. 

It’d be like if you made a sequel to conclude a long-beloved series and tried to suggest that all series protagonists and villains were somehow related in some kind of cheesy over-arching grand prophecy plot-line.  Fail city.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

ahhh cool, i plan to buy the season bundle when episode 3 comes out then Smile

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Lambonius - 15 May 2013 07:26 PM
millenia - 15 May 2013 06:52 PM

You’ve missed the point entirely (and judging by some of the other comments, it seems many others probably have, too.)  It has nothing to do with the rarity of the name.  It has to do with the name being prophetic—essentially being clearly designed from the get-go to have some kind of symbolic or double meaning within the context of the story.  That’s the kind of thing we’re saying is cheap and overdone in fiction of all types.  I personally see it as a writer trying too hard to tie everything together. 

It’d be like if you made a sequel to conclude a long-beloved series and tried to suggest that all series protagonists and villains were somehow related in some kind of cheesy over-arching grand prophecy plot-line.  Fail city.

No, I didn’t miss your point. People here have been talking about the names in general too, not just about your one opinion. If you had read my post through you would have noticed that I had one sentence there directly for your point, bolded now. If you don’t like it, it’s your prerogative, but it’s not automatically crap. To me these are narrative options and no option is clearly cheap or bad, it depends on the ensemble.

I said Gabriel Knight is supernatural noir. Fatalism is very characteristic to noir. You may think it’s overuse when someone else might think it’s paying homage.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Just because it’s part of someone’s “vision” does not exclude it from being ridiculous, just to specify.

Case in point “The Room” was Tommy Wiseau’s “vision”.

Bt

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Yeah, I mean—I realize what someone like Jane Jensen is going for with a name like Malachi Rector (or even Gabriel Knight, with all of its Biblical implications of angels and prophecies), I just think the symbolism is a bit too overt for my tastes.  My opinion, of course—but it just feels like she’s trying too hard, and it puts me off.  Smile

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Yeah, to someone it may feel like it’s been rubbed to their face and that hardly ever is a good feeling. I respect people’s artistic visions quite far, and no artistic vision can be objectively bad. But I have noticed that I generally “forgive” a lot more than the majority, or at least the critical minority Wink. I just experience it and even though I do pick up some deeper meanings in the story, I’m basically just on an atmospheric ride with every piece of fiction.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top