• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordzwalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Control A Real Human Being (and not an in-game character)

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Joining in with a long established tradition here.

For various reasons I’ve not being playing much recently but, due to some good sales, I’ve got a number of games waiting to be played and you, the community, can decide which it’s going to be. All of the games listed, bar 1, poosibly 2, are all well liked here so it will be interesting to see how the voting goes - assuming anyone can be bothered to vote of course Smile . The list, in alphabetical order:

1.  Blackwell Bundle (They’ll be played in order)
2.  Botanicula
3.  Chaos On Deponia*
4.  Dark Eye: The Chains Of Satinav
5.  Gemini Rue
6.  Machinarium
7.  Post Mortem
8.  Primordia
9.  Resonance
10. Sam & Max Beyond Space & Time
11. Samorost 2
12. Scratches - The Directors Cut
13. Still Life 2
14. Tales Of Monkey Island

*I started Chaos On Deponia a while ago but, owing to my HD getting trashed, it wasn’t completed.

I’ll be starting a new game once I’ve finished my (millionth!) playthrough of The Pandara Directive. It’s been waiting to be finished for some time after my PC rebuild as I’m at the fire room maze - the only part of the game I hate and not for the maze type bit nor for the fact that you can die. It’s because it’s physically impossible for such a place to exist!

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

I vote for the Blackwell Bundle. I just recently played through all of them and had such a great time.

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Do not play Machinarium first….....it will set the bar too high for the rest of your list.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

CoyoteAG - 11 May 2013 03:17 PM

I vote for the Blackwell Bundle. I just recently played through all of them and had such a great time.

The privilege of the first vote!

Duly marked up Coyote and thanks.

Bonsai - 11 May 2013 03:36 PM

Do not play Machinarium first….....it will set the bar too high for the rest of your list.

Cheers Bonsai! That’s put the cat amongst the pigeons. A masive positive vote enshrouded within a negative. I shall keep this in mind but if the overall voting goes for Machinarium I’m honourbound to go for it.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

OH MY GOOD this is just like Sophie’s Choice!

Do you seriously expect us to pick out a single game from a list of so many excellent games? Oh - It is only which one you will play next, you will also play the others on the list.

I would start with ... um ... Gemini Rue, why? Because it is the one i am personally most in the mood for right now, it is also neither the best nor the “worst” on the list, so it might be a good place to start, but ask me tomorrow and i will most likely give another answer.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Hi Jabod you had listed such cool Adventures that none of them would be considered bad so we are talking about the good the better and the best ... i am afraid i cant put them in order but as i always rate my games after i finish them , do i just copied my rating form each game folder..

Jabod - 11 May 2013 12:11 PM

1.  Blackwell Bundle (They’ll be played in order) (3.5/5)
2.  Botanicula (5/5)
3.  Chaos On Deponia* (4/5)
4.  Dark Eye: The Chains Of Satinav (4/5)
5.  Gemini Ru (5/5)
6.  Machinarium (5/5)
7.  Post Mortem (2.5/5)
8.  Primordia   (4.5/5)
9.  Resonance (4/5)
10. Sam & Max Beyond Space & Time (4/5)
11. Samorost 2     (4.5/5)
12. Scratches - The Directors Cut (never played)
13. Still Life 2 (3/5) but actually this judgment upon playing half of the game i never finished it.
14. Tales Of Monkey Island (4/5)

i hope that would help

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Not a great list to choose from, from my point of view. The only ones I really like are Sam & Max, Machinarium and Botanicula. If I had to choose one, probably Machinarium.

I haven’t played all of them but I thought the Blackwell series, Chains of Satinav and Scratches were incredibly average. Gemini Rue is decent, if a little dull. Tales of MI is fun but will be a disappointment for any Monkey Island fan.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Cheers folks.

Advie - as Iznogood says it’s only for the next game I’m going to play so I’ve put you down for Machinarium (along with Oscar) as it’s your highest ranked game. I will be playing all the others at some point since I’ve paid for them.

Plus 1 vote via Iznogood for Gemini Rue.

Edited to add:

Advie - I just noted that you gave Gemini Ru and Botanicula 5/5 as well. Care to select just one of them for me?

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

A lot to choose from.

One more vote to Gemini Rue

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’d go for Resonance.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’d mix it up a little. By that I mean not playing all the Wadjet Eye games or the Amanita games back-to-back. My vote would be Gemini Rue first (and then maybe Samorost 2 and then Post Mortem, etc.).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Thanks to Wilco and Dag - votes recorded.

TimovieMan - 12 May 2013 04:24 PM

I’d mix it up a little. By that I mean not playing all the Wadjet Eye games or the Amanita games back-to-back. My vote would be Gemini Rue first (and then maybe Samorost 2 and then Post Mortem, etc.).

The main reason for the request Timo was to get me back into playing something new having been able to buy a good range pretty cheaply hence the request for what to play first. All the games bar 2 have had a good press here broadly speaking (personal taste being what it is as per Oscar’s post) so it seemed a good idea to do this and see what transpired.

All I’ve played new recently are Still Life, Anna’s Quest, J.U.L.I.A. and Deponia (can’t think of anything else) and that’s over the course of a year. Loads of replays though so I think I got stuck in a rut psychologically and was looking for some sort of kick-start.

Not sure if that will make sense to anyone else apart from myself but the people who are bothering to vote are helping, truly.

I’ve added your vote for Gemini Rue which is now looking favourite.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Jabod - 13 May 2013 08:45 AM
TimovieMan - 12 May 2013 04:24 PM

The main reason for the request Timo was to get me back into playing something new having been able to buy a good range pretty cheaply hence the request for what to play first…
...so I think I got stuck in a rut psychologically and was looking for some sort of kick-start.

Well after you have got your kick(start), i will second Tims suggestion of mixing things up a bit. If you play too many similar games in a row it is easy to get feed up, and end up in the need of a new kickstarter Smile Variety is the name of the game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Tough choices, all my fav Wadget Eye and Amanita games are in there! I’m going to pick Gemini Rue

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I haven’t yet played Machinarium, Primordia, S & M, Samorast or Tales of Monkey Island .. yet! I love all of the others listed but would agree with trying at least the 1st game of the Blackwell bundle to start with - after playing that I don’t think it matters which order you play the others in & they are fairly short.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

I knew I hadn’t explained myself very well and, as most of the people who actually know me would agree, I’m an extremely odd person which needs to be taken into consideration.

Thanks first to Siddhi and Chrissie for passing their views on what to play; added to the scores.

Secondly to try to add to what I mean.

I tend to exist outside of mainstream society as it’s something I don’t really understand, accept or can interact easily with. I’ve often thought that that is why I enjoy adventure games as much as I do and also why I read as much as I do.

Having been not playing new games much both because of lack of funds but also because of a lack of interest (btw I’ve just remembered that A Vampire Story can be added to the new games I played in the last year) and pretty much replaying old games (Syberias, TLJ, Tex etc.) I wanted to try to force myself to break into new ground but also to do so in a more mainstream societal way (as per above) just to see if I could.
Now, that’s not to say everyone here fits into that description but it’s the nearest I’ve got to find a one-off baseline.
So. All I’m after is just that. A possible mainstream starting off point for ONE game. All the other games will get played over time, in order where required i.e. The Blackwell Bundle.
I appreciate that what I’m writing may well appear to be off-the-wall to most/all of whom read it (and it quite possibly is Smile ) but I do know what I mean. Honest guv!  Innocent

Life is what it is.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top