• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 9 May 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve been putting this off for as long as I could, but I guess we have to get around to it at some point. So, do we want to discuss this scene?

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

It’s not a master piece but worth playing it. At the time they made Phantasmagoria, games were “lite”. This one was the first, I guess, to put games into “adult” universe (except, of course, LSL series).

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Its icon still sits idle on my desktop:

One of these days (if not before) I am going to double-click it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

In my opinion it was bad at the the time of release and it has aged worse. Really disappointing after muck talk.
Concerning the weird violent dry humping in the scene - it looks horrible - but that’s the problem with the low production values of most FMVs game at the time.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Like most of those FMV games the acting in that scene is hilariously bad.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I quite liked it when i played it many years ago, but i’m not sure how i would fell about it if i replayed it now.

Despite its many flaws, it succeeded where so many horror movies fail, and actually managed to be scary. At least i found it scary back then.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interesting that there is another active thread titled “In love of Roberta Williams.”

This one might be titled “What in the love of Roberta was she thinking?”

This game got a lot of flack for the rape scene, the killing of animals and other violent scenes.

I think I liked the game when I first played it. But in retrospect I’m not sure I would ever play it again.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

rtrooney - 09 May 2013 09:03 PM

Interesting that there is another active thread titled “In love of Roberta Williams.”

This one might be titled “What in the love of Roberta was she thinking?”

This game got a lot of flack for the rape scene, the killing of animals and other violent scenes.

I don’t know why. You buy horror, expect a horror game.

I think it was a brave game to make and I’m not surprised it was her own favourite title. It wasn’t just ghosts and cheap gore like we were used to. (Well, okay it was) Unfortunately it didn’t really set much of a precedent because we’ve gone back to zombies and serial killers.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-04-15

PM

I enjoyed this game a bit, despite its flaws. There are some cringe worthy graphical moments, but I think it was a creepy good time. I enjoyed the sequel even more.

Click here to support the best independent developer mentioned in this signature footer:
http://www.shadesofsanity.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sword-Spirit-Software-LLC/346697060329

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i see some ugly desktop pic around .. 
anyways
if any hadn’t tried it already ...don’t bother , that was an FMV breakthrough so however your fairness ,nowadays, you will never appreciate phantasmagoria for what it really is/was.

Total Posts: 5034

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Oscar - 09 May 2013 09:15 PM

I think there is a difference between horror and violence. Think of the difference between the Hostel movies and The Shining. This wasn’t a horror game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

rtrooney - 10 May 2013 07:22 PM
Oscar - 09 May 2013 09:15 PM

I think there is a difference between horror and violence. Think of the difference between the Hostel movies and The Shining. This wasn’t a horror game.

I beg to differ, as i see it Phantasmagoria was a horror game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I see this game as a horror game as well. And a good one. I think a lot of people are too harsh when it comes to FMV. Back then, they spent a lot of money making FMV, that almost “killed” every company, ‘cause reviewers were very hard on them, desincouraged people to buy the games. What do they expect? 100 millions budgeds as a Hollywood film, expecting to sell 10 millions copies? I give a lot of credit to those who can even think of making FMV this days, like Yoomurjack’s Ring, Conspiracies (1 and 2)and DarkStar, for example. And don’t forget that a new one is coming: Tex Murphy’s Project Fedora.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

UruBoo - 11 May 2013 11:46 AM

I see this game as a horror game as well. And a good one. I think a lot of people are too harsh when it comes to FMV. Back then, they spent a lot of money making FMV, that almost “killed” every company, ‘cause reviewers were very hard on them, desincouraged people to buy the games. What do they expect? 100 millions budgeds as a Hollywood film, expecting to sell 10 millions copies? I give a lot of credit to those who can even think of making FMV this days, like Yoomurjack’s Ring, Conspiracies (1 and 2)and DarkStar, for example. And don’t forget that a new one is coming: Tex Murphy’s Project Fedora.

I Also agree with every word you wrote, but just adding that this even was the 1st.

Total Posts: 1782

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Advie - 11 May 2013 11:50 AM

I Also agree with every word you wrote, but just adding that this even was the 1st.

Are you saying Phantasmagoria was the first FMV Adventure Game Advie?

If so you are completely wrong.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I think that Advie was refering to PC games. Phantasmagoria was not the first for PC but was one of the first by a major company. 7th Guest and others came first. Before that, were arcade games in Laserdiscs.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top