• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieGabrielwalas74zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Friday 3 May 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I guess that’s what happens to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when they get old…  Cry

(from Captain Morgane)

(Also, why aren’t the characters cel-shaded? They were is So Blonde, and looked much better as a result.)

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Captain Morgane sure was a letdown from So Blonde, which I quite liked.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

This game is an example of how the smallest things that developers might not consider well can ruin the whole game, and here they exist badly
1st; clicking the mouse to bypass every single dialogue! how irritating ,

and 2nd one slot for saves is all you can use nothing but to continue and if anything goes wrong there is no way to restore an old game and i read about this instances at many different forums so i had to take care by using the others 2 available (player’s) slots in case/order that happened which is was tribble i had to save my game twice each time before quitting ,

plus the fact it has the worst drag n’ drop Inventory interface you can see !

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Another thing I disliked about Captain Morgane was the incredible lack of responses to actions, the game felt a bit half-finished in that respect and I agree that the characters looked better in So Blonde. Though So Blonde may have been a better game overall, atleast Cpt. Morgane removed those insane loading times when you leave a screen. The excessive loading kinda ruined my enjoyment of So Blonde, even though the game itself wasn’t all that bad.

The background art in both games is amazing, especially in Cpt. Morgane, and I thoroughly enjoyed visually exploring the 5 islands. A real shame that the rest of the game wasn’t on the same level of quality. It may have helped if I hadn’t known about Steve Ince’s involvement because I expected a story of Broken Sword-caliber, and if you play the game expecting that, you’ll surely be let down Wink

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Apart from the interface problems Advie already mentioned, the subtitles were in 10cm high letters on a pc, only allowing a few words to be shown at the same time, so you constantly had to click to keep the dialogs going.

Captain Morgane is a perfect example of a game that was clearly designed for one platform (tablets), and then they thought they could just port it to other platforms (pc) without making any changes in the interfaces. I think it is quite shameless and disrespectful when developers do this!

I could probably accept the clunky interface if the game is otherwise excellent, but it isn’t and i can’t. It was at best mediocre and at worst quite terrible, and not even close to being half as good as something that is a quarter as good as So Blonde.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I have this on PS3. Played for about an hour and then forgot about it. I should really finish it but I suspect the rest of the experience will be ho-hum.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Atrocious game, and so was So Blonde. I wouldn’t blame anyone who plays these games to never want to touch an adventure game again.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Zifnab - 03 May 2013 11:14 PM

Atrocious game, and so was So Blonde. I wouldn’t blame anyone who plays these games to never want to touch an adventure game again.

What’s so bad about So Blonde?

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 03 May 2013 11:36 PM
Zifnab - 03 May 2013 11:14 PM

It depends on who’s asking. It wouldn’t feel right to attack a game designed for teenage girls for being exactly that. So I wouldn’t do that unless you’re looking for an adventure game with quality, depth and challenge…which just happens to be what I look for.

(this is why I have so much trouble writing reviews)  Meh

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

Hey guys, is it worth playing at least for the island scenary ?

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

kate me - 04 May 2013 08:01 PM

No!

There might be other reasons to play it, like there is a few good puzzles, and if you are playing it on a tablet the interface won’t be so extremely annoying. But for the scenery, no!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

kate me - 04 May 2013 08:01 PM

That’s what I did, and though other aspects of the game will be frustrating at times, the game looks beautiful all the way through. Visually astonishing, but otherwise below mediocre Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Zifnab - 04 May 2013 12:23 AM

It depends on who’s asking. It wouldn’t feel right to attack a game designed for teenage girls for being exactly that. So I wouldn’t do that unless you’re looking for an adventure game with quality, depth and challenge…which just happens to be what I look for.

(this is why I have so much trouble writing reviews)  Meh

Zifnab, I would disagree that the game is designed for teenage girls unless you base your target audience on the gender & age of the protagonist! I thought So Blonde did a reasonable job of having a young spoilt woman going on a learning curve to think about other people to survive & eventually actually care enough to help the island! With a choice of different endings depending on a few choices within the game it was far more interesting than Captain Morgane which was okay but didn’t really have so much to offer as So Blonde IMO! 

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

chrissie - 05 May 2013 10:57 AM

Zifnab, I would disagree that the game is designed for teenage girls unless you base your target audience on the gender & age of the protagonist! I thought So Blonde did a reasonable job of having a young spoilt woman going on a learning curve to think about other people to survive & eventually actually care enough to help the island! With a choice of different endings depending on a few choices within the game it was far more interesting than Captain Morgane which was okay but didn’t really have so much to offer as So Blonde IMO! 

Well I didn’t see all the endings but it’s not exactly Shakespeare, is it? In the end she only does what she does for her own sake, like you said, and the overused theme of the trials of growing up is the bread-and-butter of adolescent fiction, predictable and simplistic. It’s not that it was badly written and of course I don’t require my games to rival Shakespeare, it’s the lack of ambition and challenge I despise and in an interview I read a while ago it appears Wizarbox intended that, intentionally “playing it safe” with their first game. Now they are bankrupt so I don’t know what to make of that.

Total Posts: 783

Joined 2010-10-26

PM

Thanks for the info, guys! Smile

Oh, and I’ve played So blonde ( I couldn’t miss a Steve Ince game! Crazy ), and I agree with some of the things Chrissie said about it.
Unfortunately, I’ve also heard about the bankruptcy , in december, last year Frown

I am baaaaaaaack!

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

a

Zifnab - 05 May 2013 12:44 PM

Well I didn’t see all the endings but it’s not exactly Shakespeare, is it? In the end she only does what she does for her own sake, like you said, and the overused theme of the trials of growing up is the bread-and-butter of adolescent fiction, predictable and simplistic. It’s not that it was badly written and of course I don’t require my games to rival Shakespeare, it’s the lack of ambition and challenge I despise and in an interview I read a while ago it appears Wizarbox intended that, intentionally “playing it safe” with their first game. Now they are bankrupt so I don’t know what to make of that.

My response to that is that a game is entertainment - I play casual games which have got a lot better but don’t just hit the spot that true AGs do. So Blonde for me hit that spot - I didn’t think it was a bad game & don’t play games expecting intellectual stimulation (although it’s great if it turns up!) but I do like other challenges which the game provided (I wasn’t crazy about some of the in-game puzzles but there was an option to skip!)

As for Wizarbox being bankrupt - they completely mullered Gray Matter so perhaps we didn’t get the best from them!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top