• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 27 April 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Even though I really liked Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor, I’ve never played Return to Zork, because everything I’ve read about it has made it seem awfully outdated design-wise, with dead-ends and mazes and stuff. Am I missing anything?

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Graphicwise you certainly aren’t. This is god awful to look at - and I like pixel graphics in general!

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

It was a reasonable first stab at non-text Zork, but it did have some bugs and like the Text adventures you could misuse some objects leading to a unwinnable game.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

It’s a great game, you should give it chance, but yes, it has dead-ends

sniff,sniff You stink!” - damn it, must have heard it a hundred times before I found out why I stank

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve recently had a bash at Zork Grand Inquisitor but it hasn’t grabbed me too much so far - can anyone tell me why I should keep playing?

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

chrissie - 27 April 2013 03:15 PM

I’ve recently had a bash at Zork Grand Inquisitor but it hasn’t grabbed me too much so far - can anyone tell me why I should keep playing?

I haven’t played Return to Zork yet, but I love ZGI.  The puzzles are quirky and different, the characters are likeable, and there are many laugh-out-loud moments in the game, especially when you do something you know you shouldn’t do, such as jumping into the bottomless pit or becoming totemized.  I would give it more of a chance, if I were you.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

chrissie - 27 April 2013 03:15 PM

I was just going to rave about how great and bizarre the game is, but then remembered that Jack has already done that. I’d say give it another chance. It’ll (hopefully) be worth it for the phone service in Hell alone.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 27 April 2013 12:52 PM

Graphicwise you certainly aren’t. This is god awful to look at - and I like pixel graphics in general!

Return to Zork is heavily pixellated, no doubt about it, but the upside of the rather primitive graphics and their attendant small files is that a phenomenal amount of game play and puzzles fits on one CD.  While the graphics in RtZ are by no means photorealistic or even pretty, you can at least tell what it is you’re looking at.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think this scene being from the intro video looks worse than the actual game.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Watching a game trailer for Return to Zork now - man, that’s not how I remember that game. Very dated for ‘93, 7th Guest looks better than this.

Meanwhile, the Grand Inquisitor trailer is still pure class:

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

Kurufinwe - 27 April 2013 12:21 PM

Even though I really liked Zork Nemesis and Zork Grand Inquisitor, I’ve never played Return to Zork, because everything I’ve read about it has made it seem awfully outdated design-wise, with dead-ends and mazes and stuff. Am I missing anything?

You are indeed missing something: Return to Zork is a great game, dense with puzzles and different settings.  While it’s graphics might suffer in comparison with it’s contemporaries, Myst and The 7th Guest, I would rate it’s gameplay as excellent.  It does have mazes, yes, but they are relatively easily mapped out and conquered with the use of graph paper and pen.  It’s been a while since I’ve played it, but I don’t recall any inescapable dead-ends for a well-provisioned explorer familiar with Zork lore, e.g. don’t go poking around in dark holes without a good light lest you encounter a hungry grue. 

wilco - 27 April 2013 09:31 PM

I think this scene being from the intro video looks worse than the actual game.

Agreed.  Once past the intro video the graphics do get noticeably better.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Want some Rye? Course you do.

I’m too drive to drunk!

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 April 2013 03:47 PM

I haven’t played Return to Zork yet, but I love ZGI.  The puzzles are quirky and different, the characters are likeable, and there are many laugh-out-loud moments in the game, especially when you do something you know you shouldn’t do, such as jumping into the bottomless pit or becoming totemized.  I would give it more of a chance, if I were you.

Thank you Lady Kestrel for the encouragement - along with your post Martin Gantefoehr:

I was just going to rave about how great and bizarre the game is, but then remembered that Jack has already done that. I’d say give it another chance. It’ll (hopefully) be worth it for the phone service in Hell alone.

- I think between you you’ve given me the will to persist!!!!! - Thank you!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top