• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Kickstarter Point&Click;: AR-K

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

I’ve seen this project in another forum, and it seems good:

http://kck.st/ZO4Xs5

They have hired a writer, Greg Rucka (Marvel & DC), and a new voice for the main character, Ash Sroka. I investigated on Google, and she dub a character of Mass Effect series… really pro for an indie company, I think.

I’ve pledged 50$ to get the beta test, after playing first chapter (there is a link in the Kickstarter project to download it for free LOL).

God save new Point & Click projects!  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes  Heart Eyes

Total Posts: 358

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I played the first episode on my phone (but still need to finish it), and found an awful lot to like about it. The story so far seems engaging and, overall, the writing is good. I also enjoyed the cinematic feel. Unfortunately, the game isn’t quite as polished as it could be. Specifically, there are spelling and grammatical errors in the on-screen text, which is often WAY too small and in a color that blends in with the backgrounds. This becomes quite a problem when you are selecting dialogue options from a list. The game is also not optimized for iPhone 5. The main character is also crass, trashy and unlikable. Maybe this is going to sound old-fashioned or sexist, but I don’t really like playing as constantly sardonic, floozy female characters who drop the F-bomb often. Why do so many adventure games have such nasty, overly cynical female characters? It is becoming cliché. Actually, I would dislike these qualities just as much in male characters. I feel like Jane Jensen uses them a bit too often. Whatever happened to sweet, innocent, lovable, playful and optimistic? Guybrush was a guy you could like. So were the characters from DOTT. And I certainly never felt any ill will towards the classy and brave Rosella. So, my message to adventure game developers is this: please, enough with the bitchy, sexed up Daria types who think they know everything.

But back to the game. It could benefit from labeled hotspots. On the iPhone it is hard sometimes to tap the correct place or even to know where to tap. Games like MI special edition let you drag your finger over the screen to see all of the hotspots. If you are against having hotspots labeled, then at least have some kind of crosshairs that are visible when we drag our finger across the screen in order to pinpoint exactly what we want to select to interact with. Unfortunately, I felt like there wasn’t much in each scene to examine or interact with.

Anyway, despite the problems, this is a great effort with superb background art, animation and sound. In a hurry right now and can’t say too much more.

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

Well, it’s your point of view… First chapter has a lot of problems (specially in iPhone 5…).

But, I really like the main character. Acid humor, rough personality, good charisma… no, that’s not a ‘cliché’ like you said. And the story seems really original and captivating. At least, that’s my opinion.

Moreover, I want to support and encourage indie developers to create new point & click adventures. I wish there were more companies that work in this kind of video games…

Oh, and they’ve updated the project. I really like the Floppy version of the game!
GEEEEEEEEEEK!!!  Nerd

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Laldridge - 26 April 2013 07:36 AM

and a new voice for the main character, Ash Sroka.

*gasp* Tali’zorah!
*swoons*

Laldridge - 26 April 2013 04:21 PM

LOL! That’s cute… Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2009-08-31

PM

I actually quite liked Chapter 1 of this. The gameplay was the usual point and click fare but I liked the artwork and the voice for the main character… which has apparently been changed Tongue

I’d want them to get sexier for me to back it though. Well, I don’t back computer game Kickstarters so I wouldn’t anyway… but for me to get it at retail Tongue

Total Posts: 278

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Can’t say the pitch video did anything to entice me, unfortunately. The graphics remind me of a kid’s TV show, and the jiggly boobs and cleavage seemed a bit unnecessary.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Heeeyyy! This guys are back!
And the project looks AWESOME! Much better than the last one.
Greg Rucka, and, mmmm, Tali´Zorah….
It´s good to see more adventure games around…

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

orient - 27 April 2013 05:11 AM

The graphics remind me of a kid’s TV show

Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Larry… all of them had child-like style. What’s the problem?

heheh…  Crazy

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Looks like this time they can get it.
Hope so. I would love to hear Tali’s voice again

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

Laldridge - 27 April 2013 07:07 AM

Monkey Island, Broken Sword, Larry… all of them had child-like style. What’s the problem?

Sorry, I should have said “cheap kid’s TV show”. There’s a difference between great 2D animation (e.g. Broken Sword) and rubber-looking 3D animation. The video reminded me of Cubix.

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Hi Orient, may be you´re right. I can be wrong, but I think these guys haven´t spent US 1.000.000 $ (or more) developing the game.
Broken Sword is a big game compared to them…

Joined 2013-04-26

PM

AR-K is developed by Gato Salvaje Studio. I’ve read in the official website that they are indie developers… Graphics aren’t the best in video games history, but… I think they are making a great effort to create a good game.

Orient, maybe you want to say that you don’t like AR-K graphic-style. BUT, that statement doesn’t mean graphics are bad. The game has a great definition and quality, specially for an indie game.

Also, they want to improve the project with strong human resources: they’ve hired talented writer Greg Rucka and pro dubber Ash Sroka… most of big videogames companies should be envious, for sure!

Bad graphics? (I don’t think so) Doesn’t matter: An indie game with great story, great audio features, an episode for free… I really NEED support the Kickstarter project!  Heart

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

So how is this different from Runaway, the Last Express, the NExt Big Thing, or Yesterday Mr. Orient? If something was more ‘cheap Kid’s TV Show’, its these games. Maybe your understanding of anything are just way too mixed up.

If you think its terrible, then all of the above games are just as terrible.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2008-07-11

PM

diabolini - 28 April 2013 11:23 AM

Hi Orient, may be you’re right. I can be wrong, but I think these guys haven´t spent US 1.000.000 $ (or more) developing the game.

I totally understand. I don’t expect small indie developers to compete with the likes of Revolution, but there are much better looking indie adventures out there in my opinion—The Journey Down, for example.

Laldridge - 28 April 2013 12:31 PM

Orient, maybe you want to say that you don’t like AR-K graphic-style.

That’s exactly what I’m trying to say. Other people are entitled to their opinion, and those people should definitely back the project because these guys have clearly put a lot of work into it. Even though it’s not my cup of tea, I completely respect their efforts. It takes a lot of hard work to make a game. It doesn’t mean that everyone’s going to like it, however.

Monolith - 28 April 2013 02:22 PM

So how is this different from Runaway, the Last Express, the NExt Big Thing, or Yesterday Mr. Orient? If something was more ‘cheap Kid’s TV Show’, its these games. Maybe your understanding of anything are just way too mixed up.

If you think its terrible, then all of the above games are just as terrible.

The Last Express looks a hundred times better than those other games you listed, but yes—I do not like the style of Runaway, The Next Big Thing etc. They’re definitely more vibrant and detailed than AR-K seems to be (an unfair comparison, I know). I wouldn’t say they’re exactly the same style, but I dislike both of them.

The graphics weren’t even my main concern. It was the weird sexualisation of the female characters—the unnecessary boob jiggling of the main character and the blatant bent-over cleavage shot of the girl in black. If that’s what the audience is after then so be it, but to me it’s just weird.

Joined 2011-12-13

PM

Hi Orient, I understand that you don´t like the bouncing tits (you sure???), and the style, but I don´t think that is cheap looking.
Anyway, I think the story is funny, and Alicia, even though the tits, looks a kick-ass-girl…

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

orient - 28 April 2013 09:01 PM

It was the weird sexualisation of the female characters—the unnecessary boob jiggling of the main character and the blatant bent-over cleavage shot of the girl in black. If that’s what the audience is after then so be it, but to me it’s just weird.

I couldn’t agree more.  Just a horribly cliche design.  Awful.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top