• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommendations

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Okay, I know this gets asked a lot, but…

I’m really struggling to find another adventure game to play. Anyone got any ideas?
I prefer games with solid stories. Not too bothered about the ease of the puzzles though.

I’ve played games like:

Broken Sword
Syberia
Still Life 1
Deponia (meh…)
Gray Matter
The Whispered World

I’ve tried to play Black Mirror too, but the first 1 just won’t work. Can I play the 2nd and 3rd and be okay?

Any other suggestions?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Sanitarium. You will love it.

Failing that, what I always do is go to the top 100 and work my way from #1 upwards, skipping the games I’ve played. My supreme goal is to play every single one by the time I die (except the DS games because I don’t own one) Smile

Total Posts: 179

Joined 2004-01-25

PM

Zifnab - 23 April 2013 07:21 AM

Failing that, what I always do is go to the top 100 and work my way from #1 upwards, skipping the games I’ve played. My supreme goal is to play every single one by the time I die (except the DS games because I don’t own one) Smile

Hey Zin, 2nd hand DS Lites are pretty cheap these days, there’s a few DS games in the top 100, specifically Hotel Dusk and it’s sequel The Last Window. I don’t know where you are, but I can pick up a used DS Lite for about $30 here in Australia and it’s well worth the price for either of those games.

Both of them fall within my pick of best games (not just best adventures) that I’ve played in the last 10 years. It would be a great shame to miss out on such fantastic games!

Strongly recommend them to the original poster as well, if you can get your hands on a DS.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Toefur - 23 April 2013 07:28 AM

Hey Zin, 2nd hand DS Lites are pretty cheap these days, there’s a few DS games in the top 100, specifically Hotel Dusk and it’s sequel The Last Window. I don’t know where you are, but I can pick up a used DS Lite for about $30 here in Australia and it’s well worth the price for either of those games.

Both of them fall within my pick of best games (not just best adventures) that I’ve played in the last 10 years. It would be a great shame to miss out on such fantastic games!

Strongly recommend them to the original poster as well, if you can get your hands on a DS.

Thanks friend. I probably should have mentioned I’m not a huge fan of Anime graphics, which is the other thing stopping me but I will consider it. At least I would find out what all the fuss is about Grin

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Try Gemini Rue and Resonance from WadjetEye games.

Bt

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I’ve played Gemini Rue and Resonance. Smile
I did like them, but as much as I’m not that bothered about amazing graphics, I couldn’t help but feel the bit graphics annoying.

I’ve also played the DS games Hotel Dusk and the Last window. All good Smile

I my have to give Sanitarium I try though… any others?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I noticed that you prefer 3rd person adventure games. Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and Discworld Noir are top on the list.
(I would have recommended Machinarium as well, but between you and me, I felt it was pointless to do so…)

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Sefir - 23 April 2013 08:41 AM

I noticed that you prefer 3rd person adventure games. Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey and Discworld Noir are top on the list.

I like both really. Broken Sword 1, 2 & 3 are up there as my favorite games. The only problem I had with 4 was the puzzles. Some of them were just plain bad and illogical.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2009-12-05

PM

Try Keepsake if you like fantasy settings.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

If you want a solid story, in my opinion Grim Fandango has one of the best and most interesting stories of any adventure game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 23 April 2013 07:45 AM

Thanks friend. I probably should have mentioned I’m not a huge fan of Anime graphics, which is the other thing stopping me but I will consider it. At least I would find out what all the fuss is about Grin

Not all DS games have anime graphics, and Hotel Dusk and Last Window are amongst those that don’t. The Professor Layton games don’t either, but those are more casual…
And the other adventure games / visual novels DO have anime graphics, but the graphics are also more subdued than what you’d see in series like Dragonball or Naruto. They’ve been ‘westernized’ a bit, imo.

On-topic: Lost Horizon is a solid adventure game.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Tad - 23 April 2013 07:01 AM

I’ve tried to play Black Mirror too, but the first 1 just won’t work. Can I play the 2nd and 3rd and be okay?

Absolutely, i could also never get the first to work, i believe there is a bug in the distribution, but i played the 2nd and 3rd without any problems.

The story in BM2 takes place some years after BM1 and has a different protagonist and a different story, so it is in no way a requirement that you have played BM1 first. BM3 however takes place almost immediately after BM2 and is in many ways a continuation of the story in BM2, so you should play BM2 before BM3.

They are also both excellent games.

Sefir - 23 April 2013 08:41 AM

I can second that, these 3 games are simply a must play for anyone who loves 3rd person adventure games. In fact they are respectively no. 1, 2 and 27 on the Top 100 All-Time Adventure Games list on this site, and respectively no. 2, 1 and 3 on my personally favorites list, so i can’t recommend them enough.

If you liked Syberia then you might also like some other games by Benoît Sokal like Paradise or Sinking Island.

If you liked Gray Matter then you might also like other games from Jane Jensen, especially the Gabriel Knight series.

If you liked The Whispered World then you might also like other games from Daedalic Entertainment like The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav. Or perhaps Edna & Harvey: The Breakout even if this is a humorous game and is very different from TWW.

If you liked Still Life 1 then you will properly also like Still Life 2, or perhaps the Art of Murder series, or Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller.

If you liked The Broken Sword series, then you might also like Secret Files 1&2, or Lost Horizon.

Finally i think you would also like Overclocked: A History of Violence and I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-04-15

PM

I’m amazed people are still talking about this title. And to think that is spent more than half its development cycle without a publisher.

Click here to support the best independent developer mentioned in this signature footer:
http://www.shadesofsanity.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sword-Spirit-Software-LLC/346697060329

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I could talk about Sanitarium all day long Smile

Otherwise, I second almost all of the recommended titles depending on the games you’ve played. And if broken sword is on your top then I’ll repeat that gabriel knight is an absolute must (if you haven’t played them already and if you can handle the graphics).

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2012-07-10

PM

Have you played “Beneath a Steel Sky”? It’s a dystopian sci-fi game from the same guys who made Broken Sword and the story is great, the artwork is also drawn by Dave Gibbons, the comics artist who worked of “Watchmen”.

The game is a freeware btw so you could get your copy at the ScummVM site.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You might like Riddle of Master Lu. A fairly straight-laced, very well done swashbuckling adventure with a 1920s setting.

But if the games you listed are the only ones you’ve played then you really need to get around to playing all the Lucasarts and Sierra games.

Black Mirror: You can skip the first game but you’re missing out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top