• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinLady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 17 April 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

In the future, Google looks like a creepy fake woman and tries to kill you. At least that’s what I want to believe. It’s less scary than the real thing.

(from The Moment of Silence)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Moment of Silence could have been an excellent game, if it wasn’t for some extremely elongated dialogs. I recently played it and i timed one of the conversations, it took no less then 15 minutes (read: one freaking quarter of an hour listening to two people’s blabber), with very few actual information being revealed.

To anyone who has ever complained about long dialogs in TLJ i can only say, you ain’t seen nothing yet, not until you play TMoS. I can’t think of any other game that has put so much stress on my patience as TMoS did

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And it is not Google that is trying to kill you, she is more like Facebook!

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

It is an excellent game Izno ! and that is not something argue about Tongue , maybe for the controls yes , which were adjusted with overclocked later on but still, what game else you have your avatar walking distances like that Grin , take it for a change ..
and the dialogues were fun. come on!

i had a adventurer block for 2 months after MoS as any game else i tried i just quitted for not matching the fun i had with MoS Smile

Total Posts: 132

Joined 2007-02-10

PM

Iznogood - 17 April 2013 01:45 PM

To anyone who has ever complained about long dialogs in TLJ i can only say, you ain’t seen nothing yet, not until you play TMoS. I can’t think of any other game that has put so much stress on my patience as TMoS did

I thought the long dialogues were the best thing about MoS - I can’t remember anything about the game except the great relationship between the main character and killerGoogle. 
Overclocked was a lot worse for me because they lacked that amount of text.  The game had plenty of problems (heavyhandedness, clunky puzzles, major shifts).

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I really loved Moment of Silence - I don’t remember it as being dialogue heavy so I must have enjoyed it! Overclocked was an interesting game, which I also really liked, but I did find that listening to tapes in a section of the game quite heavy & bordering on the tedious - apart from that I thought it was a great story!

As for the screenshot - it’s always sad when someone has no-one else to talk to - it’s a while since I played the game but it portrayed the protagonist as feeling quite lonely?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 17 April 2013 02:58 PM

It is an excellent game Izno ! and that is not something argue about Tongue

Everything can be argued about, i thought you would have learned that by now

Advie - 17 April 2013 02:58 PM

and the dialogues were fun. come on!

Yes… and No, the 5 fist minutes were usually fun, but then they just continued and continued.

Take that conversion with Linda were you ask her about how she got the job. The punch line is delivered in about the middle of the dialog, that she had to score low in an IQ test to get the job, but then they just keep on dragging it on and on and… telling the punchline about 7 times in slightly different version, like they were afraid not everybody understood the joke the first time.

On average the dialogs could easily have been trimmed to about a third in length, without actually loosing anything from them.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

chrissie - 17 April 2013 03:06 PM

Overclocked was an interesting game, which I also really liked, but I did find that listening to tapes in a section of the game quite heavy & bordering on the tedious - apart from that I thought it was a great story!

Oddly enough, the tapes in Overclocked didn’t bother me one bit.
Perhaps it is because it is not just dialog, but you are actually watching something happening, and the tapes does contain important clues.
There is a say regarding movies “Don’t tell, show it!”, and i think that is the major difference between Overclocked and TMoS.

chrissie - 17 April 2013 03:06 PM

As for the screenshot - it’s always sad when someone has no-one else to talk to - it’s a while since I played the game but it portrayed the protagonist as feeling quite lonely?

I wouldn’t say lonely, it is more about that he recently lost his wife and child and is grieving.

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I did find that The Moment of Silence talked too much. I remember being bored to death by some never-ending, multi-level conversation trees for irrelevant minor characters, like some attendant at the airport that you ended up talking to for hours.

(I strongly believe that multi-level conversation trees should die a horrible death.)

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Iznogood - 17 April 2013 03:27 PM

I wouldn’t say lonely, it is more about that he recently lost his wife and child and is grieving.

Iznogood, it’s a few years since I played the game & had forgotten that so yes….I can’t disagree.

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Iznogood - 17 April 2013 03:15 PM

Take that conversion with Linda were you ask her about how she got the job. The punch line is delivered in about the middle of the dialog, that she had to score low in an IQ test to get the job, but then they just keep on dragging it on and on and… telling the punchline about 7 times in slightly different version, like they were afraid not everybody understood the joke the first time.

The voice actor for that orbital station attendant was execrable! One of the worst in any game ever. They must have told her to act “stupid” and she decided to act as if she had difficulties reading the script. So we get an emotionless delivery from someone with a learning disability. Yikes!

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

Iznogood - 17 April 2013 01:45 PM

The Moment of Silence could have been an excellent game, if it wasn’t for some extremely elongated dialogs. I recently played it and i timed one of the conversations, it took no less then 15 minutes (read: one freaking quarter of an hour listening to two people’s blabber), with very few actual information being revealed.

It’s been close to ten years now since I wrote the dialogue for the game—but for the statistics buffs among you I can say that TMOS had 8,000 lines of dialogue (45 percent of which were Peter Wright’s part). TLJ, as far as I know, has 12,000 lines.

A good chunk of TMOS’s dialogue served to reveal the back stories of the 40 talking characters. (TMOS isn’t a small game.). Anyways, if people remember the dialogue as boring, or don’t remember it at all, then that may indeed point to quality issues, but alas, I can’t rewrite the game, nor would I want to. Wink

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I won’t discuss with you, Izno. But Moment of Silence is, to my point of view, one of the best games ever. With or without “15” minutes dialogues. The dialogues are the essence of the game, in this case. Right Martin?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

as I am Sure that Matrin wont go through this useless discussion which targets a game that considered on of the turning points at adventure gaming (i can tell why if anyone would ask) to look at and split it into small pieces like dialogues and controls and not to look at it as one whole subject .. it might not be the at the level of Syberia at that time but then try to play the game again nowdays or even look at it’s videos and tell where had this beautiful graphics and animation (put aside the story and seriousness) gone! that they seem like a dream these days where we praise (with all respect) retro games as kicksterers that we all still have our doubt upon them .. even if a title or too are kinda guaranteed ..

P.S:this post is my point of view and i will not go into it more than this .

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

No worries. Books have been closed on the project for a long, long time now. Just thought I’d mention that the actual amount of TMOS’s dialogue was a lot less than what many players perceived. (The reason being multiple design issues on our part, of course.)

Still, it’s fun seeing a scene from the game, and I giggled at the Google/Facebook killer joke. When we designed the game, altavista was still a reputable search engine, and Facebook didn’t exist. Smile

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Martin Gantefoehr - 18 April 2013 04:56 AM

It’s been close to ten years now since I wrote the dialogue for the game—but for the statistics buffs among you I can say that TMOS had 8,000 lines of dialogue (45 percent of which were Peter Wright’s part). TLJ, as far as I know, has 12,000 lines.

A good chunk of TMOS’s dialogue served to reveal the back stories of the 40 talking characters. (TMOS isn’t a small game.). Anyways, if people remember the dialogue as boring, or don’t remember it at all, then that may indeed point to quality issues, but alas, I can’t rewrite the game, nor would I want to. Wink

Perhaps i simply had more patience for long dialogs when I played TLJ many years ago compared to when i recently played TMoS, or perhaps it is a quality issue. All I can say is that the long dialogs was wearing down my patience, and that i felt like they could have been cut in length without loosing any information or quality.

Despite of this I don’t think it is a bad game, it had a good story, interesting characters and some well designed puzzles, and as you said it is a quite long game. I did enjoy playing it, it just took some patience.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top