• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommendations thread .. (Ask or Advice) 

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Advie - 01 April 2013 12:18 PM
Shimrod - 31 March 2013 10:48 AM

Perry Rhodan is a good hit, despite a lack of I-don’t-know-what.

Grin
but this one certainly does not lack anything!!
maybe just a 5-stars review

Nah - 5 stars would be overrating it.
Perry Rhodan is not a bad game, but when i played it, it completely failed to “drag me in” and excite me, i found the characters and the whole story too dull. It simply lacks that x-factor that separates great games from mere good games.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

come on Izno ! ... we all are talking (all the talk) these days about how moebius or Broken Age will be represented does Phoenix Online is up to it ?, will double Fine surprise us with the last better outlook at the end ... and more blah blah ...etc,... and with all that if you look at Perry Rhodan which is like 6 years OLD is way better than those two kickstarted project so far (only it does not have the Tim nor Jane name attached to it)
i would be totally satisfied if they could reach half the quality that perry rhodan gave… and if you have any doubts then i am sure is been a while since you had finished/played Perry Rhodan .

and if you will talk about elements such the Story, Dialogues, Graphics,Animation, Game Playing, Interface,Puzzle Design ...etc perry Rhodan had them ALL, and that doesn’t mean that moebius or Broken Age will not have them all the same (we dont know but i will be positive here) then i guess the 6 years older with a better or even equal representation is with the old one side.. or not?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sorry Advie, but i just don’t think it is a great game, it is not a bad game just not great.

Come to think of it, it should have been a great game, all the individual parts i normally love were there, i just didn’t felt it all came together to from a great game.

And you are right there is a lot of babble about Moebius and Broken Age, and neither will properly have some of the qualities Perry Rhodan had, but they might have other qualities and be overall better.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 01 April 2013 09:13 PM

And you are right there is a lot of babble about Moebius and Broken Age, and neither will properly have some of the qualities Perry Rhodan had, but they might have other qualities and be overall better.

Advie, why are you comparing a 6-year-old game with two games that are still in the middle of development???
At least wait until Broken Age and Moebius are released before comparing them with another game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

Iznogood - 01 April 2013 03:29 PM

Nah - 5 stars would be overrating it.
Perry Rhodan is not a bad game, but when i played it, it completely failed to “drag me in” and excite me, i found the characters and the whole story too dull. It simply lacks that x-factor that separates great games from mere good games.

Advie - 01 April 2013 04:43 PM

and if you will talk about elements such the Story, Dialogues, Graphics,Animation, Game Playing, Interface,Puzzle Design ...etc perry Rhodan had them ALL

I totally agree with you both.  Grin

I guess that what I missed was a kind of empathy with the main character, a bit “dull” as said Iznogood and letting you outside of the game. A lack of immersion, so.

As a huge reader of science-fiction, I might be very picky when it comes to visuals, and on this point Perry Rhodan is very good. Nice scifi designs, strong universe, and I guess a great story background (before playing, I had never heard of the incredibly large novels serie from our crazy german neighboors).
And the technical work on the real-time 3d is really really good, even 6 years later.

But I really missed in this 4 stars game (bam! ^^) that Perry Rhodan was not as cool as the Lt. Ripley or Roger Wilco.  Grin (“cool” doesn’t mean “humourous” in this sentence, I just mean cool.)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

TimovieMan - 02 April 2013 06:34 AM
Iznogood - 01 April 2013 09:13 PM

Advie, why are you comparing a 6-year-old game with two games that are still in the middle of development???
At least wait until Broken Age and Moebius are released before comparing them with another game…

but off course the 6 years old game should be a lost case in that comparison..
but anyways
Timo, that might sound wayyyy off-topic .. but just listen;
sometimes i feel we’re all being fooled and used now with the great budgeted games and high Quality output all around !
we are the only gamers who still accept even love the old retro output .. and that had been alway great for us but what if other to take advantage of…

so (bear with me here please) their come those devs who are using this taste (just imagine) of us to their profit (on their behalf) making us thinking they are doing us and the genre (hypothetically) a favour while they are (could be) thinking if those AGers whom are dying for the old Designers to get back and they actually do not mind if what they will give is the quality (i am talking about the Quality that requires money)  of the mid 90’s at the end ,so Tim (JUST for INSTANCE)  can start were he left ‘98 and give a game at this year 2013 with the same budget that would had been spent back then ...

An imaginary EVIL executive PRODUCER TALK (HAHAHA an Evil Laugh)  Foot in mouththese Players do not mind Voice Acting or at least the Description’s , didn’t you see how they praised Resonance .. they do not mind Graphics that are even less than the standard Retro’s didn’t you see how they praised the CatLady ,they do not mind bad animation did you see how Daedalic Games(Edna for example) where the characters do not walk but their movement is more like hopping ...etc and even if we didn’t make big money we will never lose, its a 0% risk guaranteed

that all sound Crazy way crazy kinda of those with/about those conspiracy Theories stuff but if you want to hear something not that crazy Content about what i meant still ;Perry Rhodan with those 6-years old it can beat any new adventure that came out through a while (and you don’t need o remind me of The testament of SH or the walking dead or even to start talking about the story and the puzzle design ) when the standard at 2002 until 2009 were the standard of Syberia and Perry Rhodan and suddenly not anymore..
and then later this standard became the exception.

speaking of Syberia3 how would anyone would expected it back at the 2004 after the 2nd part and how would she/he expect it now, or what are our high hopes between back then and now .. what would you had NOT accept at 2004-‘06 if it was released back then and now you might at its upcoming release of 2015!!

many Question and surely they do not need an answer but i hope at least those question can make you understand this point afterall ... which is nothing but a feeling the this phase of crowdfunding games can be a deep breath before sinking ....
i am only afraid about the genre , and another question always comes to my mind, is there an end to these kickstarters and crowdfunding projects and what do we expect later on, what would it/you feel if one of those kickstartered projects after its game were to be released and did not really succeed that much is to ask for another one (another chance) instead of taking the profit (whoever it will be) and turn it into another and another project. i am myself decided that i will never back anyone/campaign twice.
at last to say it straight that my greatest fear that if this crowdfunded projects Phase did not rise up with the genre , that the genre will not even return to its previous state before the day Tim launched his Kickstarter , we need to be careful at this point and remember that we (fans) are the ones who made this happen and we shouldn’t just be happy with any results and give excuses , the curve must take its way up , and there nothing bad or wrong with being demanding at this point !

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-01-11

PM

Could anyone recommend me some point and click adventure games that run along the same styles such as Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting, Dark Fall: The Lost Journal, Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches, Barrow Hill, etc. I like being on my own at least 90% of the time or more. In general I just like to explore, find clues to read (notes, journals, etc.) and put things together.

I tried Anna the other night but I hated how the controls were, so just straight point and click please. Meh

I’ve tried all Jonathan Boakes games, and I’m very excited for his sequel to The Lost Crown! I’m also excited for the upcoming game Gone Home, it seems to have a lot of what I’m looking for.

I enjoyed The Cat Lady very much but haven’t been able to find another game similar to that.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Morgen - 03 April 2013 10:15 AM

Could anyone recommend me some point and click adventure games that run along the same styles such as Corrosion: Cold Winter Waiting, Dark Fall: The Lost Journal, Rhiannon: Curse of the Four Branches, Barrow Hill, etc. I like being on my own at least 90% of the time or more. In general I just like to explore, find clues to read (notes, journals, etc.) and put things together.

You must play Amber: Journeys Beyond if you haven’t yet. It’s exactly what you describe and a great game Smile
Another good one is Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-01-11

PM

I actually bought Amber awhile back but it won’t run on my computer, I do have a newer computer though.  Meh It does look like an amazing game from what I’ve seen of it!

I’ll check out Nemesis of Ragnarok too!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Advie - 02 April 2013 08:37 PM

...long post…

I’m not really following you.
Who are these evil producers that just want to release a game with bad graphics because “adventure gamers will play any adventure game”??? It’s clear to me that we will NOT play just about any adventure game, but rather that we will *overlook* a lot of shortcomings if the game itself is great.
I mean, if the story is well-written and compelling, most of us won’t mind sub-par retro graphics and a lack of voices, but on the other hand, if the game looks like Crysis (for instance) yet the writing is bad, it’ll get thrown aside by the AG community. No matter how you look at it, just because we will overlook some budgetary graphical shortcomings, doesn’t mean we won’t demand a quality game…

You can’t forget that we’re a niche market. Spending millions of dollars on the budget of an adventure game (that won’t necessarily appeal to mainstream gamers) is a waste of money, because sales numbers will never be that big. Tim Schafer’s Kickstarter may have put adventure games back in the spotlight, and we may (hopefully) become a bigger niche because of it, our days of mainstream popularity and millions of copies sold are gone. And with it went the big budgets, because the games won’t be profitable if they’re too expensive.

So adventure games are made with smaller budgets, and that means there’s no money for AND a team of writers, AND high-end graphics, AND great art direction, AND great voice actors, AND the ability to make one full-fledged game each year, etc. There will have to be some concessions made.
Because we’re a niche market, games that cater to us are most often made by small teams, sometimes even a single developer. You can’t expect small teams to be able to handle EVERY aspect of a game perfectly.

So we take the small budgets into account, and we overlook certain shortcomings. But we’re still demanding that the games are good.
Take Wadjet Eye for instance. They have specialized in small projects with retro graphics, but all of them have had great stories, and the graphics (while outdated and pixelated) are pretty well designed, and there are some decent voice-overs in them. Their games may look like they were made back in ‘93, but they do a lot of things right and you can’t deny that they have some really good games in their catalogue.

Now, the recent Kickstarter trend has given some of the beloved developers of old a new chance, but as long as none of the BIG adventure game Kickstarters are released, there’s no telling how the entire crowdfunding scene will evolve. Kickstarter was originally designed to help small developers get their products made. For some developers, especially those with a big name or big IP behind them, Kickstarter turned into a beast (with Tim Schafer getting 8x more than he asked, or the Wasteland 2 guys breaking all kinds of records), so now some “evil producers” are smelling easy risk-free money and so you have Warner Brothers raising several million dollars for a friggin’ Veronica Mars movie that the multi-billion dollar company could have afforded with spare pocket change.

And it STILL remains to be seen what an effect this will have on the adventure game market. For all we know, if Larry Reloaded, Broken Age and Dreamfall Chapters turn out to be actually good or great games, and they are successful, then who knows? We might see some influx of mainstream gamers into our niche, we might see some bigger devs making a few bigger-budgeted adventure titles.
The Kickstarter bubble might still burst (especially if people keep returning to Kickstarter for follow-up projects instead of making them with profits from the first project, or if big publishers think they can avoid all risk with big IP sequels), but for adventure games specifically: I think all will depend on the quality and success of the big Kickstarters, with Broken Age at the front and center…

So to return to your point of comparison between 2004-2009 and now: you need to look at the specifics of the games. What kind of budget did Perry Rhodan have? How big was the development team?
And you need to compare it with games that had a similar budget or a similar-sized team.
You can’t compare a game like Perry Rhodan with a game like To the Moon or ASA or even Resonance, and you can’t compare it to games like L.A. Noire or Heavy Rain or even The Testament of Sherlock Holmes. And for now, you can’t really compare it to any of the Kickstarters either, because it’s still too new and we still don’t know how it’ll evolve in the years to come.

Our genre offers more than just no-budget one-man titles, more than just small-team efforts, and more than just big-budget titles. There’s a little bit of everything, and this ALWAYS has a big impact on the end result (and its amount of polish). You need to compare accordingly, imo…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Thank Timo for taking the time to explain your point of view ... though honestly i disagree with several phrases at your post but lets not get drifted here away from this thread idea Smile

i had Finished The Last Chronicles of Zerzura little days ago and i would like to say/advice everyone who had enjoyed Chains of Satinav (take my word on this) Get Zerzura Now if you hadn’t already! you might even after finishing it to consider it better than Satinav .

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura is okay, but not quite as good as Chains of Satinav. I found the the whole story and experience a bit stiff, for a lack of better words, and i didn’t enjoy it half as much as i had expected.

It is not a bad game, there are many good things to say about it, and it is sort of an old-school AG, but it is more like a 3 or 3½ then the 4 stars it got in the review imo.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I recently finished the Blackwell games which i really enjoyed, and would like to recommend.

They mix a bit of humor with an interesting ghost-whisperer psychic, mad murderer, evil megalomaniac and conspiracy theory story, and also has some well designed puzzles. If you liked games like Resonance or other of the Wadjet Eye Games, then i think you will also like Blackwell.

The first The Blackwell Legacy is not the best, but they get better and better for each game.

Oh and if you don’t take my word for it read the review of the 4th game in Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Iznogood - 06 April 2013 04:49 PM

The Lost Chronicles of Zerzura is okay, but not quite as good as Chains of Satinav. I found the the whole story and experience a bit stiff, for a lack of better words, and i didn’t enjoy it half as much as i had expected.

It is not a bad game, there are many good things to say about it, and it is sort of an old-school AG, but it is more like a 3 or 3½ then the 4 stars it got in the review imo.

That’s funny, I though “stiff” was a perfect description of Chains of Satinav. I liked Zerzura more, but I agree they were both not much above average.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

hey Oscar & Izno
WELL whoever thinks Zerzura is better than Satinav or vice versa i guess it doesn’t matter much as long as you guys agree that the two games got the same spirit after all or not? Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top