• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dear Esther

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Seeing as we can’t post to the old thread:

http://archive.adventuregamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30387&highlight=esther

I thought I’d start a new one for this wonderful game. Smile

Also worth mentioning that the Mac version has just been released and the Linux version is in development. Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I think the word Game is stretching the truch somewhat.

It’s georgous, but there ain’t no gameplay.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

let’s not open that up again….

i will agree that it’s gorgeous and it definitely has interesting elements other game developers should really check and use in upcoming games.afterall thechineseroom studio is lead by a guy with more than 15 papers published.in fact anyone can read those papers in a link inside their homepage.

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I bought this off Steam for $4.99 when that was available, quite keen to check it out. I think the interactive movie thing really attracted me, along with the multiple endings (?)

Currently playing: Starcraft II
Recently finished: Resonance, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Diablo 3

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Jubilee - 21 May 2012 07:50 PM

I bought this off Steam for $4.99 when that was available, quite keen to check it out. I think the interactive movie thing really attracted me, along with the multiple endings (?)

No multiple endings. But each time you play the game, some details change. Some of the narrator’s lines are different, there may be new objects in the environment, stuff like that.

I love Dear Esther. So far the best and most meaningful game experience I had this year.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

Fien - 21 May 2012 11:59 PM

I love Dear Esther. So far the best and most meaningful game experience I had this year.

Can’t argue with that. Grin

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

To me Dear Esther was like playing an interactive painting. In no way a “game”, but unquestionably art.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I went through it once and while it was beautiful and interesting I don’t really think it as a game either. If I go again someday I will be sure to pick a time when I’m not in a hurry or otherwise restless. At least the first time through I didn’t find it a life changing experience so I guess I missed something Wink.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2006-09-08

PM

I think that many people are getting too hung up on whether to define it as a ‘game’ or not.

It doesn’t really matter - it’s an experience, and to some, a wonderful one.

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

I just bought and started this on a whim. It certainly is beautiful so far, but no one is arguing that point!

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Er, ten minutes into the game and already pretty bored. I’m still hopeful, though. But I don’t see any save option. Is there anyway to save your progress into each chapter?

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Quicksave F6, load F7. Hopeful of what, exactly? If you’re already bored after ten minutes, the best thing you can do is stop playing.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Fien - 07 June 2012 05:28 PM

Quicksave F6, load F7. Hopeful of what, exactly? If you’re already bored after ten minutes, the best thing you can do is stop playing.

That might be true, but I hate to not finish a game once I’ve started. Since I’m not too impressed with the first ten minutes, all I can hang on to now is hope that it hooks me if I keep playing longer.

ETA: Overall I am enjoying it; it just seems at times to be an awful lot of walking before you are rewarded with an audio clip to keep your interest. I realize that exploration is the point, and the environments to exquisitely detailed, but sometimes I get a bit bored with looking at everything while I continue to wait for the narrator to pipe up again.

And although I enjoy the narrator’s voice, I’m afraid I am not terribly familiar with some of his vernacular. There seem to be some turns of phrase that are not used in american english, and so his meaning is lost on me. But only with pretty minor things, so it certainly hasn’t ruined my experience.

But again, for the most part I really am enjoying myself. It is absolutley gorgeous to look at, and the hauntingly beautiful music sets the tone so perfectly.

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

Oh, and thanks for the info about saving and loading

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I did heed all the warnings about it being an ‘interactive movie’ and everything but really, it wasn’t even interactive. It was just a big ambiguous and symbolic poem for me. Beautiful game but personally I think there should have been at least a little bit of interaction. With the $10 price tag I think it is definitely overpriced, seeing as it only takes 1 hour to go through the journey.

Currently playing: Starcraft II
Recently finished: Resonance, Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Diablo 3

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Jubilee - 07 June 2012 11:52 PM

I did heed all the warnings about it being an ‘interactive movie’ and everything but really, it wasn’t even interactive. It was just a big ambiguous and symbolic poem for me. Beautiful game but personally I think there should have been at least a little bit of interaction. With the $10 price tag I think it is definitely overpriced, seeing as it only takes 1 hour to go through the journey.

If it wasn’t interactive like you said, you could just sit back and watch. Else, its interactive.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top