• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

IronCretinLady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommendations thread .. (Ask or Advice) 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

WE…
mostly depend/seek our choices upon several common references/keys that help us deciding/choosing the Adventures we get at the end,
there are of course several methods we all almost depend on   Such; Ratings/Reviews , awaited projects, sequels or those made by our Fav Designers/Developers until maybe reading someone post that praises one and encourages us .....or even maybe we could be those hardcore’s who just get any adventure they can put their hands on, no matter what/how or why!! Wink.

there is a saying in all languages “asking the patient is better than asking a doctor” and i had been disappointed lately with a number (not small) of adventures with relatively good ratings ,that i passed on after 5 mins of playing and forgotten about them for good.

at the classic age all were good and guaranteed ..at least you had to see that LucasArts logo on a the game’s box and that was it.

seriously reading about a game which claims to have great graphics ,story or rated well had not become so reliable for me, lately (some games i neglected because they didn’t haven’t got those great ranks but turned out to be great ... and of course vice versa) 

There are also many Adventures that i had finished and i feel the love to share this great feeling about them and start recommending them for others and also may happily answer all (why) questions (at least from my point of view) ....
i guess we all had the urge sometimes or lets say just the feeling to say “Guys you gotta try/love this ..you don’t know what are you missing!, this game something .......etc”

so
if i would take my chance (just for instance/a start) i would ask about Cognition ..really i played like a little bit of the hangman and then i quitted it and deleted; too many nontraditional adventure features i encountered using that precognition power all the time, using too much interfaces ;computers ,phones, database and internet plus those mini games with deaths and lets start again until you find out what you missed and caused your death. and what is strange that almost everyone here praises it BIG TIME, did i need patience and maybe then it would get better and enjoyable ..i am not sure?

on the other hand (for instance also) i had just finished Haunted and as much it turned me off SO MUCH at the beginning but then it turned out to be good and not as it always mentioned that its the worst of deck 13 or the least its better than Ankh III(the worst of the series). the game (Haunted ) is quite long and offering a new kind of (crew) inventory feature, which is totally original and fun as everyone of that crew inventory has especial ability/power .. something reminded me of (just a little bit) of gobliiins ,it has also (Above ALL) an amazing 3D representation.. which all made me think how the hell that Haunted got that underrated and had not get anything at the Aggies.

at last i thought we can ask here for recommendations about some certain titles which might feel uncertain for us or even to offer our advices/experiences about another , to help each other out (here) with our taste and reach for others taste whom have the same compatible or similar kind of choice   ....

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im also curious about cognition. I had a bad experience trying to buy it around launch. The demo seemed pretty good… but i will absolutely agree that interface for the powers really needs to be simplified.
Iv got too many adventures on my backlog though… Right now im trying to decide between starting deponia or the testament of sherlock holmes.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

zane - 20 March 2013 11:01 PM

Right now im trying to decide between starting deponia or the testament of sherlock holmes.

it like you are saying should i watch Hotel Transylvania or Prometheus 1st ..
both are great

but i think you should start with Deponia and take a break with TToSH in between and then Deponia2

Deponia is a great game if you are a fan of the Simon or Guybrush Nature ... it has the greatest interface IMHO as you can use your Mouse Right and Left Click and scrolling button too for showing all the hotspots which was in a funny way a disaster for me as i played them part 1,2 one after the other and when i started any new game i always spontaneously start clicking the Scrolling button to Show the Hotpot ,LOL  it took me a while to forget about it .

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Dear Advie,
Can you recommend me a third person comedy fantasy adventure with the humor style of Zork Grand Inquisitor and with puzzles easier than Sherlock Holmes vs Arsene Lupin but harder than Secret Files 3?
Yours truly,
Zifnab.

(ps you should have named the thread “Dear Advie…” Wink)

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

try one of those Zifnab if you havent played them all already Wink

Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
Everlight: Of Magic & Power
Metal Dead

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Cognitation is actually in many ways a very traditional adventure game.
Think of it as a non-humorous version of Sam & Max The Devils Playhouse.

The “mini games with deaths and lets start again” is only at the beginning, or once per episode. The cognition power is esential to solving many of the puzzles, and there are some that are (almost) all about using this power, but it is actually pretty cleverly made, and later in the game you will get some training in using it properly.

There are also traditional inventory puzzles though this is not the strongest part of the game, and there is not more use of computers and phones than in many other games, though you somtimes have to look up information

The only two complains i have myself about this game, is that it is very linear and there are a couple of arbitrary obstacles, but these are inventory based.

I would recomend that you give it a second try.

BTW I was thinking about buying Haunted myself, based on your description I asume you can recomend it?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Iznogood - 21 March 2013 09:29 AM

BTW I was thinking about buying Haunted myself, based on your description I asume you can recomend it?

yes go for it ,with no doubt certainly

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

Zifnab, try Stupid Invaders or Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity, if you can find them.  Both a lot less stupid than the titles would indicate and very amusing, although probably less droll than ZGI, but isn’t everything?

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Dara100 - 23 March 2013 01:20 PM

Zifnab, try Stupid Invaders or Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity, if you can find them.  Both a lot less stupid than the titles would indicate and very amusing, although probably less droll than ZGI, but isn’t everything?

double that
yes Stupid Invaders is a great game

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Adventurers !  Reversion Episode 1&2 are real Fun

and also for the previously miv’s thread about easy english games this is a good ONE Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

Advie - 20 March 2013 10:36 PM

i had been disappointed with a number (not small) lately of adventures ,that i passed on after 5 min of playing and forgotten about them.

at the classic age all were good and guaranteed ..at least you had to see that LucasArts logo on a the game’s box and that was it.

I agree with you.
I haven’t been playing games for a long time, but I’m back with adventure games since a few months (that’s how I discovered AG.com, awesome reviews and some very interesting threads, like the “No” or the “puzzles”) and I admit that I hardly find the same pleasure than before.
As a lot of people here, I grew up with Guybrush and cie, so my personal tastes make me associate a good adventure game with “appealing” characters (Guybrush one more time, the crazy team of Day of the Tentacle, Roger Wilco, etc.), strong universes (Sam & Max hit the road, Beneath a Steel Sky) and in a reductive way, lot of humour.

I’m actually playing the Chains of Satinav, but I’m considering giving it up. Not that it’s boring, but…
The Deponia serie was ok, with a nice protagonist. I enjoyed too the Book of Unwritten Tales, but I still miss the sparks.
I hardly finished Captain Morgan, due to a lack of interest.

An other point is that I find modern games far easier than the old ones. (I lost some hair with a Spit Contest, but hey, I WANTED to win !  Grin miss that time… )

At the opposite, a important matter is, as confirmed players, to not end up like old grumpy monkeys (even if I’m only 30) and say : “It’s new and modern ? I don’t like. I prefer old. Old was better. Monkey Island was better.”
(I admit, and I guess I’ll take some stones in the head, that I even reacted like this with the cartoonish style of MI3… MI2 rulez!)

Sorry for what might be an off-topic, but I was wondering if I was the only “old monkey”.

As a recommandation, I enjoyed Ceville (not finished because of too much work, but nice universe), The Next Big Thing (because Pendulo knows how to make quality), the already quoted Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, and the too short and weird Kaptain Brawe.
Primordia is a very good one too, but too much hints, and I had some nice time with the creative memories system of Resonance.
If you miss well-done sci-fi designs, Perry Rhodan is a good hit, despite a lack of I-don’t-know-what.

In my case, I’m going to fix a personal shame and play for the first time the Baphomet serie.  Content

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Shimrod - 31 March 2013 10:48 AM

Sorry for what might be an off-topic, but I was wondering if I was the only “old monkey”.

I can see where you’re coming from with this, but I’ve actually embraced the overall “easier” games (as well as in-game ‘help’ like hotspot revealers and such). I have a lot less time to play games than I did when I was a teenager, so I don’t like to spend hours/days/weeks stuck on a same puzzle.
I’m not stuck in easier games, so I prefer those because they allow me to continue faster - story is (and has always been) the most important aspect for me. And if it’s a more difficult game, then I’ll pretty soon grab a walkthrough - I hated not being able to continue some games because I was stuck back in the day before I had internet access.
The better the game, the longer it’ll take me to grab a walkthrough, so quality still matters, but just advancing is still preferable to “wasting my valuable game-time being stuck”. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Well no you aren’t Smile
(If you want proof, just find one of the threads regarding TWD, and see the heated discussions)

And you do have a good point, there are many “modern” games that simply are too easy, and there tends to be to much focus on telling a story, and not enough focus on providing a good gaming “experience”. The two aren’t mutually exclusive and a great game needs to do both, but as i see it the focus has shifted in the resent years towards story telling. Since you haven’t played AG for some years, you properly see this shift more clearly than others. 

I won’t claim that all the old games was better, many of the good old games also had many flaws, and there is still made some excellent AG. In fact i quite enjoy many new games, but with only few exceptions all my favorite games are older.

Another thing you have to consider, is that AG haven’t got the same budget nowadays as they had in the golden age, and even though a big budget doesn’t equal a great game or vice versa, and it has in many was become cheaper to make AG, then they quite often have to cut some corners.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I hardly finished Captain Morgan, due to a lack of interest.

No one can blame you for that, Captain Morgan is a horrible game despite the positive review here on AG.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Perry Rhodan is a good hit, despite a lack of I-don’t-know-what.

Grin
but this one certainly does not lack anything!!
maybe just a 5-stars review

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2009-01-05

PM

Advie - 01 April 2013 12:18 PM

Perry Rhodan is a good hit, despite a lack of I-don’t-know-what.

Grin
but this one certainly does not lack anything!!
maybe just a 5-stars review

That’s a deserved praise for Perry Rhodan Adventure   Thumbs Up

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top