• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

first unread post

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

Am I too stupid or does it not work?
I can’t figure out how i am automatically directed to the first (by me) unread post of a thread.
What do i have to do?

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

It can’t be done. The forum software they picked when they revamped the site a year ago is a joke—a very bad joke.

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

Ok, thanks for the answer. Could not believe this was possible.

Total Posts: 13

Joined 2010-06-18

PM

That is a shame. That’s the one feature I greatly miss here. Frown

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

The forum is perfect other than this feature being missing.

Any chance of it being incorporated at some point?

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Hmm interesting, let me think about this one. The forum software doesn’t support this by itself, but I might be able to change it so it does.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Cool, cheers. Smile

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Any luck with this or is it just beyond the software’s capability?

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

It’s far beyond it, I looked into it a bit and it currently doesn’t really store the state of the exact post you haven’t read yet (just the thread), adding this is really big for changing the forums behavior.

Goal is still to move to another forum actually, Invision Power so far seems the best choice but open to ideas

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Invision is fantastic, in my experience (just as a member), as long as the price is ok.

Total Posts: 77

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Perfect! It’s so annoying not being able to follow discussions properly. It’s one of the reasons I stopped frequenting the forum, actually Meh

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

Erwin_Br - 27 September 2017 05:16 PM

Perfect! It’s so annoying not being able to follow discussions properly. It’s one of the reasons I stopped frequenting the forum, actually Meh

Same here.

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

So to understand correctly, the current feature that’s really lacking/broken is going immediately to the last read post of a thread? So not last _posted_ post but really last read, correct?

I’ve been diving into the codebase of the forum and the site a lot recently and feel pretty confident I can create that. How would that functionality typically work? Clicking on the thread would immediately do that, or a separate link that would do that?

I’ll look into this the coming week

Ivo

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

The way I’ve seen it work on other forums, clicking on the thread title would take you to the start of the thread but clicking on the “unread posts folder” icon to the left of it would take you to the last unread post.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2003-11-15

PM

CaliMonk - 02 November 2018 08:09 AM

So to understand correctly, the current feature that’s really lacking/broken is going immediately to the last read post of a thread? So not last _posted_ post but really last read, correct?

Yes, that’s it. If you could manage that, it would be a great addition.

And I’m guessing that you don’t want to store the last read post of every thread for every user, so that you’ll mark everything as read after a period of time. I request that you choose a generous amount of time, at least a month. Some forums mark everything posted before the last visit as old, and I find that unhelpful.

You can play my game Frasse and the Peas of Kejick for free! (AG review here.)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

dumbeur - 02 November 2018 10:04 AM

The way I’ve seen it work on other forums, clicking on the thread title would take you to the start of the thread but clicking on the “unread posts folder” icon to the left of it would take you to the last unread post.

^ This.

Clicking the thread title takes you to its first page, clicking the yellow folder icon next to the thread title (that indicates there are unread posts), takes you to the first unread post.

Allows you to jump right in where you last left off, without needing to go to the very last post and scrolling back to where you were.

Would be a big improvement to the forum software if we had that functionality!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Site → Site & Forum Feedback → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top