• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Beckyskeeter_93

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Text based adventure games for kids recommendations?

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2012-02-26

PM

My kids are growing up and are getting to the age where they are learning to read and write, and I thought that a game with a heavy text component would be an excellent way of encouraging them. Only problem is all of the games I played as a kid are probably too advanced or not… er suitable (yes Leisure Suit Larry, i’m looking at you!)

Simple graphics would be nice, but I do want most of the interaction to be keyboard based.

Can anyone recommend any really simple/easy text based adventure games?

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

Cool idea; I grew up with text adventures myself when I was learning to read.

I found this list of kid-friendly text adventures which might help:
Games suitable for children - an IFDB Poll by msousa

But I haven’t played those so can’t make specific recommendations. You’d have to browse around a bit. The person who started the list has 10-year-olds so you’ll have to look for the games that skew younger than that, but it looks like there’s some nice, simple options to explore.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-05

PM

From that list, I think Mrs Pepper’s Nasty secret was designed to be accessible for novice IF players (and I think kids in particular).

I enjoyed To Hell in a Hamper but it’s pretty difficult.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

This is harder than I thought it would be. There are actually very few text based games for children, with graphics if you exclude the King’s Quest type games which are probably too difficult. I would have suggested Black Cauldron but it doesn’t have typing. You might try the Hugo series, especially the one set in a jungle.

There are a few text adventures you can play online. Here’s one with pictures for each location, designed for grade 2 students: http://www.textadventures.co.uk/review/627/

If you want to stray from pure adventures, there’s an excellent game Spellbound which I know kids love, and there’s also the Dr Brain series from Sierra which is more of an adventure/puzzle game. I think one of them is maths and one of them is writing. Really fun games.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2012-02-26

PM

Thanks all, i’ll check those out!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top