• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

New Tomb Raider

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 27 February 2013 03:59 PM

I don’t care, I like beating my games. I have a life.

Whats the psychology of beating games that are dumbed down and plays itself,for me its false sense of satisfaction. Yeah i like to sit back and enjoy moderate levels but one after another famous franchises famous for challenging factors are falling victim to this. Busy married life, nongamers, new gamers segment etc market shaping and altering the original theme and product to what extent?? Ofcourse its business now.

BTW, pressing button to show path in DS series versus Exploring the isolated environment in REmake, Deadrising1, Okami etc = world of difference. Coop killed any tension too, not to mention action focus and removing horror feel thanks to marketing.

Thats the reason why i used Lastofus in last line, one hit kills, thats horror,
its developers vision not altered by business, NEW IP with bold moves which will
shape things, like Demonsouls. BioshockInfinite is another good example of actually caring and including 1999 mode for people like me Smile. So that after watching movie and story experience with epic setpieces i can use some skills.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Because its all about the math involved with game design, and not the experience. Yeah, good for you.

This is how you sound. Someone wants to be cop for a day, you say its not possible and force them to serve 10 years on the force. Thats how idiotic its sounds. People want to fulfill a fantasy, have an experience, not change there lives to make it happen.

I’m not going to change my life for a game. I’m going to change my life for myself.

The more difficult a game is, the less people that play it and beat it, and the more obsessed people get over it. gaming hipsters. No body likes or cares for them.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Monolith - 27 February 2013 04:56 PM

Because its all about the math involved with game design, and not the experience. Yeah, good for you.

This is how you sound. Someone wants to be cop for a day, you say its not possible and force them to serve 10 years on the force. Thats how idiotic its sounds. People want to fulfill a fantasy, have an experience, not change there lives to make it happen.

I’m not going to change my life for a game. I’m going to change my life for myself.

The more difficult a game is, the less people that play it and beat it, and the more obsessed people get over it. gaming hipsters. No body likes or cares for them.

So if your advenure games like Monkey Island and Brokensword will turn into FPS and shooter to cater larger segment, and some new gamer will love it and throw this cop argument towards you , how will you respond?? Or have all those cool puzzles removed
so that people with hard life could end the game without any cerebral mind bending
puzzles???  I think it won’t have same soul in it, i remember Plaster of Paris puzzle in BS as profoundly as i do making hard long jumps in TR on PS1.

Having said that , TR campaign is amazing, the things that it did right not only made it better game than UC 1, Vita and 3, but infact next UC should be implementing new things to evolve the genre and take some cues from this game.

On PS3 graphics were really sharp, better than Skyrim , props to the
sound design guy who nailed the sound, i guess he is same guy who did Deadspace.
Story is B movie category in a good sense, and gameplay was great , wish they could have made platforming a little challenging, there is one new climbing mechanic that could have been exploited more. The island , plantation, waterfalls, CAVES, mountains,the scenery, the personality of it, is exactly what i like to have in Island, and what i think was missing in Farcry3 island.

My verdict 9/10.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

If the Steam clock is right, 3 hours to unlock, finally going to try it!

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

nomadsoul - 04 March 2013 04:34 PM
Monolith - 27 February 2013 04:56 PM

So if your advenure games like Monkey Island and Brokensword will turn into FPS and shooter to cater larger segment, and some new gamer will love it and throw this cop argument towards you , how will you respond?? Or have all those cool puzzles removed
so that people with hard life could end the game without any cerebral mind bending
puzzles???  I think it won’t have same soul in it, i remember Plaster of Paris puzzle in BS as profoundly as i do making hard long jumps in TR on PS1.

Having said that , TR campaign is amazing, the things that it did right not only made it better game than UC 1, Vita and 3, but infact next UC should be implementing new things to evolve the genre and take some cues from this game.

On PS3 graphics were really sharp, better than Skyrim , props to the
sound design guy who nailed the sound, i guess he is same guy who did Deadspace.
Story is B movie category in a good sense, and gameplay was great , wish they could have made platforming a little challenging, there is one new climbing mechanic that could have been exploited more. The island , plantation, waterfalls, CAVES, mountains,the scenery, the personality of it, is exactly what i like to have in Island, and what i think was missing in Farcry3 island.

My verdict 9/10.

As much as I appreciate your mini-review, your former example wasn’t exactly fitting as Tomb Raider didn’t change from one genre to another. It was just redesigned. lol Thats all, just felt I need to say that.

Glad you liked the game…..I just wish I got my tax money sooner. lol Whatev, will get it this week sometime.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

wilco - 04 March 2013 04:51 PM

If the Steam clock is right, 3 hours to unlock, finally going to try it!

This is why it sucks to be a real adult.  I am very tempted to stay up until the game unlocks on Steam at midnight (had it preloaded all weekend), but I know I will have to pay for it at work tomorrow.  So, I guess I’ll get it try it out tomorrow night.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Interplay - 04 March 2013 09:16 PM

This is why it sucks to be a real adult.  I am very tempted to stay up until the game unlocks on Steam at midnight (had it preloaded all weekend), but I know I will have to pay for it at work tomorrow.  So, I guess I’ll get it try it out tomorrow night.

I know what you mean, stayed up last night and played it for 3 hours, now I’m stuck at work with a headache. I’m getting too old for this…

Anyway, first impressions are positive. And after Farcry 3 I was a bit worried about my PC perfomance (2-3 year old PC) but it works great with decent graphics. Looks like a great port for PC.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

wilco - 05 March 2013 07:02 AM
Interplay - 04 March 2013 09:16 PM

I know what you mean, stayed up last night and played it for 3 hours, now I’m stuck at work with a headache. I’m getting too old for this…

Anyway, first impressions are positive. And after Farcry 3 I was a bit worried about my PC perfomance (2-3 year old PC) but it works great with decent graphics. Looks like a great port for PC.

Well, I actually broke down and stayed up just to see what it looked like.  I played about half an hour and then went to bed.  So far it seems really awesome.  The PC graphics are really amazing.  I was a little (a lot) skeptical, but the touted hair physics are pretty incredible.  My computer’s a little older, but I have a decent GPU (GTX 480).  The game was almost playable on the highest Ultimate settings (frames in the high 20’s), but it’s running well on Ultra settings (40’s to 50’s).  I guess I’ll have to do without the hair effects until I upgrade.  Can’t wait to get more into the game after the kids go to bed tonight.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

So, I think I’m about half way through, I’m guessing, and this game is great.  It’s like a unique mix of Uncharted, Arkham Asylum, and traditional Tomb Raider.  The gunfights are very Uncharted; there are lots of environmental puzzles in the tombs a la regular Tomb Raider, and the constant upgrading of your gear and being able to access new parts of old areas is very Batman.  I say, borrow from the best.  But the mix makes the game feel very fresh and unique.  Looking forward to scouring around and finding all the items later.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I can’t really say the original Tomb Raider or Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine had proper gunfights. They sucked soooooo bad. Glad it its turning out great.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Looks like an exceptional tps but i wonder sneak pass is avaliable throughout the game or kill pass mandatory?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Gabe - 07 March 2013 12:34 PM

Looks like an exceptional tps but i wonder sneak pass is avaliable throughout the game or kill pass mandatory?

There are areas that you could theoretically get through sneaking up behind people and stealth killing them or silently killing them with a bow, but no, you can’t just sneak past.  They all have to die, unfortunately.  Cry

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Interplay - 07 March 2013 12:54 PM
Gabe - 07 March 2013 12:34 PM

There are areas that you could theoretically get through sneaking up behind people and stealth killing them or silently killing them with a bow, but no, you can’t just sneak past.  They all have to die, unfortunately.  Cry

This!

And in one of the more epic final showdowns , Lara becomes one hell of a killing machine.

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

If sneaking is a must, then Tomb Raider in general isn’t your game. lol I hope people aren’t using that as an excuse to hate the game.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Combat is good, very Uncharted-like (even the sneaking and shield enemies!!), really like the cover system, feels very natural. But I could live without the waves and waves of killing enemies (and health regen!!! Smile )

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top