• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Riddle Me This! (Quiz)

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Adventurere No.1 - 04 June 2012 08:14 PM

i would say “this is the best quiz i witnessed since i joined”

Only ten participants. I rest my case.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Fien - 04 June 2012 08:20 PM

i would say “this is the best quiz i witnessed since i joined”

well that prove nothing wrong with the quiz , instead it shows something wrong (with what i really can not put my hands on!)but it makes me wonder! ; where were you? , where is Gabe (he didn’t miss a quiz) where Trunkyo also! .... Oscar, Diego! and many others, whom always were into Quizzes !

cuz people didnt participate (for some reason) it doesn’t take any credits out of IT.

P.S: i made quiz before with 16 members participation , and i admit Fien ,it Sucked!

Total Posts: 5588

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I love all kinds of quizzes and participate whenever I can because they’re fun.  Yes, many of the riddles and screenshots in this one were tough, but there were enough easier ones that could be identified with a little effort.  I don’t do well with the quick post ones, the quotes, and music, but that doesn’t mean I won’t participate in them.  I enjoy the challenge and always find I learn something.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

zobraks - 04 June 2012 10:12 AM

I’ll say to my credit that I did think about “jimmy” as a synonym for “crowbar” (although I couldn’t remember/find a single famo(u)s AG character/developer/publisher by the name of Jim or James)

The Jim Pearson riddle was the hardest riddle to me. Guybrush, Glottis and Gage are all pretty unique names that one is likely to remember, but Jim Pearson is about as bland as can be. The only way his name could be any more forgettable would be if they had named him:

Sorry about that, but my doctor said I needed more Ritalin! Ba dum tssshhh! I’m here all week!!! Wink

The screenshots were also very clever and picked with great skill

I would love to take credit for picking tricky screenshots, but the fact is that I gave them no thought whatsoever. This quiz was originally supposed to just be riddles so the screenshots didn’t matter and I just chose whatever fit, but I didn’t know how interested anyone would be in riddles, so I added the screenshot guessing portion as insurance afterward. In fact, there were originally only 10 riddles but the forum software upgrade kept getting delayed and as I waited, I just kept making more until I ran out of alphabet.

I don’t mind not getting the likes of Circuit’s Edge or Twilight’s Ransom or Devo Presents, but I’ll keep kicking my ass for a while for not guessing Discworld, Myst, Blade Runner, TLE… (I nearly missed Sanitarium and Runaway 1 too!).

I would say it had more to do with information overload than anything. 100 screenshots is insane, even in 2 weeks. I personally wouldn’t make another quiz this large again. It was a bit too much for me as well.

Great work Bastich, just keep them quizzes coming!

I’ll make more eventually, but they’ll be much smaller affairs.

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

chrissie - 04 June 2012 06:50 AM

That was one very deviously clever & tough quiz Bastich but I really enjoyed the challenge! Thank you for the tremendous amount of time it must have taken you to put together & also score!

I admit it. Maintaining the scoreboard sucked. I enjoyed the many hours that it took me to make the riddles though. In fact, I would have made them even if I had never thought to make a forum quiz out of them. I’m glad you enjoyed solving them though. Thanks for playing!

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 04 June 2012 01:36 PM

Like Zobraks, I found so many of the screenshots frustratingly familiar but hard to place, and then there were those that came as a complete surprise, like “sexy” #5.

Funnily enough, imageshack deleted that picture only a few minutes after I uploaded it for violating their terms of service. They must have ass-crack detecting software or something. I had to host it on my ISP instead. There IS something really disturbing about that scene in that game though… I don’t think I’ll ever forget it. They didn’t catch Al Lowe’s “Black Wood” though…

Thank you for all the time and effort you put into making this excellent challenge, Bastich!  I’m now nearly bald, but I loved every minute of it.  Thumbs Up  Heart

I’m glad you enjoyed it and good luck with the hair. Wink

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Adventurere No.1 - 04 June 2012 07:09 PM

I really thank you bastich for the effort you took to replay on every PM not to mention the well crafted Quiz ... as me only had sent you more than 20 PMs ..  i think i lost points in this Quiz more than i won !

one thing i would want to mention ; when i joined AG, Quizzes were not really up to this Quality , i give this to chirisse with her start with the PMing answers idea at (dont let the sun…Quiz)  ...

i guess now it will be hard to ignore the quality of representing the Quiz and administrating it for the idea itself…

wonder what and who is cooking now Grin

cheers all.

Thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it. Thanks for playing!

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

By the way, Bastich, I just discovered what game your avatar came from.  It has a rep for being pretty awful.  Have you played it?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Congratulations, Zobraks!

Thanks Lady K Smile, you and the rest of the bunch made me do my best for the moment (I mean with RG going on simultaneously).

The Legend of Lotus Spring stumped me because I didn’t know what that middle picture was and kept thinking key/quay/map instead of legend.

Yeah, “legend” was the key word for that riddle (for me) and luckily I figured it out at the start. In fact I decyphered “spring” first and then “legend” became a viable option. Only after getting the game’s name I realised what the middle picture represented.
That possibility of guessing the full game name by only getting the meaning of one or two of the pictures made the riddle part of the quiz less difficult in my opinion.
At least for those who know their English well and are familiar with AG titles.

Like Zobraks, I found so many of the screenshots frustratingly familiar but hard to place, and then there were those that came as a complete surprise, like “sexy” #5. Grin

Hehe. At first I thought it was a BAT game, but then I did a little browsing (I was sure I didn’t have THAT in my (vast) stash of screens, I would have remebered it, THAT’s not a kind of a screenshot one can ever forget) and was flabbergasted that it was from such an unlikely source. Somehow I didn’t expect a naked butt in a cartoony game. I’ve been familiar with “mooning” since the early days of my English learning career though (I remeber a film in which some character showed his naked ass through a car window and people referring to that act as “mooning”), so “moon” was easy to figure out for me.

play my Quizzes so you know that Mr.Zobraks wont participate .Naughty  Sarcastic

I think you’re jumping into conclusion here. You made ONE quiz and I stayed out of it because it was a mess and because I didn’t feel like playing two quizzes at the same time (there was another - ANNOUNCED, unlike yours - quiz going on then). The major reason was that your quiz sucked. Simple as that.
However, I’ll admit that you’re not my favo(u)rite person around here (or anywhere else). Sorry.

Fien - 04 June 2012 07:59 PM

when i joined AG, Quizzes were not really up to this Quality ,

A bold and challenging statement…

Hehe, there’s a (less diplomatic) synonym for that.

when i joined AG, Quizzes were not really up to this Quality

You should restrain from talking about things you don’t know, and I daresay you don’t know much about the quiz history of the AG forums. Trunkyo, Fien, Diego and other wonderful people gave us A LOT of great quizzes before you came here and I would heartily recommend to you to take a look at those.

my scoop is based on maybe 4-5 quizzes (in a small period that does not exceed 6 months) i witnessed since i joined.

There. Now you said it all.
For your information, there were more than forty quizzes before you became a member, so you just can’t judge all of them after observing only a few of them.

i give this to chirisse with her start with the PMing answers idea

Chrissie’s quiz was great, but she didn’t invent PM submitting of the guesses (although it was the first time it has been done at AGFs) and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with direct guessing (it’s more fun but makes a quiz more difficult to win). Both ways have their pros and cons and I like them both. If a quiz is interesting enough its form doesn’t matter.

It seems to me we’re catering again to a small elite.

Not really. Bastich put his quiz in the middle of a tennis tournament The Elite likes to watch.

Fien - 04 June 2012 08:20 PM

I guess a lot of regular participants of the quizzes were put off by the high level of difficulty as far as the screenshots are concerned, but why more people didn’t try to solve the riddles is beyond me.
Besides, some people have their lives to live. I believe & hope that doesn’t make the rest of us (who did take part) a bunch of no-lifers .

IMNVHO, Bastich’s clever quizzes are great, but they should not become the standard.

I think quizzes here were of different level of difficulty and that’s good because I reckon everyone had their fair chance at some time. I agree it should stay that way: something for everyone.
That doesn’t mean I would in any way object to more quizzes like Bastich’s (and Trunkyo’s SuperQuizzes) *drool*.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 4254

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Bastich - 05 June 2012 12:24 AM

Jim Pearson is about as bland as can be. The only way his name could be any more forgettable would be if they had named him:

Beefy Toilet?
Or John Smith?

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5835

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

one thing i would want to mention ; when i joined AG, Quizzes were not really up to this Quality , i give this to chirisse with her start with the PMing answers idea at (dont let the sun…Quiz)

Much as I appreciate your accolade Adventurere, I just don’t agree & feel your comment does a terrible injustice to the time & effort put in by quizmasters before that. I followed every single link to them, kindly provided by zobraks, to look at all the excellent & wonderful quizzes that had been posted previously & was sorry I missed! My quiz was no better - I just chose to use the PM method, an idea I’d seen on JA unaware it hadn’t been used here previously.

I thought Bastich’s riddles were excellent & enjoyed the diversity which there is plenty of room for to cater for different preferences! 

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Bastich - 05 June 2012 12:24 AM

The Jim Pearson riddle was the hardest riddle to me. Guybrush, Glottis and Gage are all pretty unique names that one is likely to remember, but Jim Pearson is about as bland as can be. The only way his name could be any more forgettable would be if they had named him:

My goodness!  Why would anyone name their character Pound S**t?  Grin

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

about
O) Gauge + Black Wood
mentioning my wrong answers that Bastich only knows about;

that one drove me crazy, i remember i gave funny/strange answer about it, that i dont believe it now after the Quiz is finished. Grin

one time i sent Bastich ,the answer is ; Deck 13 , an another was Full Throttle ... loooool

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 June 2012 01:08 AM

By the way, Bastich, I just discovered what game your avatar came from.  It has a rep for being pretty awful.  Have you played it?

Of course I’ve played it. :)

It’s not nearly as bad as a certain JA reviewer would have you think, but it’s not good either. I found it to be pretty average for the time period. I happen to be a big fan of horror though and may be more tolerant of its faults for that reason.

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

Oh, and FYI the toilet picture is from Dark Fall: The Journal and the smith is from Dream Zone.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top