• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckySpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Saturday 23 February 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

The Steel Samurai! And the Pink Princess! And the WahteverThatFakeBabyWasCalled! Clearly Ace Attorney: Investigations’ highest point!

Is anybody sad that the second one was never translated and released outside Japan?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I was. This was my least favourite of the series but I still wanted to play the sequel… At least they could have released it as a digital download or something.

At this point I just want a new Phoenix Wright soon. Either the game with Layton or PW5. I miss them.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Digital download or not, it still takes a lot of money to localize the game. They must not have believed it could sell enough to make that investment back.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Yes, the first Ace Attorney Investigations probably didn’t sell very well so Capcom/Nintendo didn’t bother. A smaller company (Aksys, Xseed) probably would have jumped at the opportunity to lacalize it, I mean, there are still obscure RPGs and adventures being localized for the PSP for example, they must have some profit.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

It might also be because they don’t want to hurt the core brand by releasing unpopular spin-offs that might turn people off the whole franchise.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Invastigations wasn’t that bad that it would hurt the main series. I really liked that game (even though I agree that it’s the worst of the bunch), and would have loved to play the sequel.

I’m still hoping for a localization, though. Maybe if Phoenix Wright 5 or Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney prove to be successful???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Capcom has had a few screws loose lately. I get the sense they want to be a Japanese Activision selling big AAA games with mass market appeal like Dragon’s Dogma and the reboot of Devil May Cry.

It just feels like a regressive strategy in the age of long tail business plans. There’s no shame in a niche title selling 150k copies and you certainly can’t have that pompous attitude once all gaming goes to digital distribution.

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I’d love to play the second one - I quite liked the first, and all the Phoenix Wright games.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

TimovieMan - 23 February 2013 08:16 PM

Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Invastigations wasn’t that bad that it would hurt the main series. I really liked that game (even though I agree that it’s the worst of the bunch), and would have loved to play the sequel.

I’m still hoping for a localization, though. Maybe if Phoenix Wright 5 or Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney prove to be successful???

Hardcore fans will gobble up most stuff - naturally - but what if a mediocre release was the first Ace Attorney game you tried? It would turn you off from the rest of it. And if the first game was the worst game in the series, then the sequel to the worst game probably isn’t going to be an improvement but rather worse still.

I’m not saying that a lot of people won’t enjoy this or buy it, but when we’re talking brand protection it makes sense that they would hold off releasing this if the first game was received poorly in the west.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 23 February 2013 11:13 PM

And if the first game was the worst game in the series, then the sequel to the worst game probably isn’t going to be an improvement but rather worse still.

That doesn’t make any sense. If the first game is the worst, then all the sequels are by definition better… Wink Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

thejobloshow - 23 February 2013 09:56 PM

It just feels like a regressive strategy in the age of long tail business plans. There’s no shame in a niche title selling 150k copies and you certainly can’t have that pompous attitude once all gaming goes to digital distribution.

You only mentioned the US sales, there were another 116k copies sold in Europe for a combined 275k+ number of copies sold. That’s *almost* as much as the 300k copies sold in Japan.

Surely the localization of the game won’t cost as much as the entire Japanese budget???
Thus the localization should be more than profitable… Grin
So, Capcom, do it already!!! Pan

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top