• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

Hi KatieHal,

Is there a release date for Episode 3 The Oracle? Smile

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

There is not one yet Smile We’re working hard on it, we’re actually at the playtesting point right now. We are aiming to release with no larger a gap than we had between Episodes 1 and 2 (3 months), and hopefully a shorter one, in fact.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

KatieHal - 19 February 2013 01:45 PM

We are aiming to release with no larger a gap than we had between Episodes 1 and 2 (3 months), and hopefully a shorter one, in fact.

Is that the aim for all episodes???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2010-10-14

PM

Thanks Katie Smile
It means that EP3 will be out in around 30/4/13 and EP4 around 30/7/13 Wink

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thank you everyone who voted for Cognition for Best Music in the Readers Choice Awards!! We’re thrilled! And Austin Haynes is so truly talented—I may be biased, but I say it’s well-deserved!

And congrats to all the other winners so far as well! It’s awesome to see so many solid adventure games came out last year. I need to catch up on playing more of them!

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2006-03-06

PM

This is actually a great game. Episode 2 is out now and episode 3 is already deep in production. Smile I know the art style might be an initial turn off (I found them initially disturbing as well), but the storyline is brilliant and there are lots of really innovative tools you can play with in-game.

I HAVE A LAUREL! Grin

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2006-04-30

PM

Just started the first episdode couple of days ago and I’m really liking it so far. I don’t mind the graphics at all and I think the voice acting and music are top notch. I love the game’s Gabriel Knight -like atmosphere and I think the game has a nice attention to detail. Can’t wait to play the rest of the parts in the series.

I bought the season pass. I’m happy to support a company who still takes the effort to make old-school adventure games.  Smile

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thanks Mounix! Great to hear, enjoy the rest of the game too! Grin

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

I am super excited to announce that Cognition Episode 1 is now available in the App Store for iPad!

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id598738593

We’ve been looking forward to getting Cognition on iPad since we began development, so this is a big day for us and we’re rally hoping it does well there. Tablets have really been proving to be a great platform for adventure games. I actually played Broken Sword for the first time on my iPhone. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Cognition Episode 1 is a part of the Indie Royale Debut Bundle: http://www.indieroyale.com/

Along with 5 other great games that you can get for pay-what-you-want! Beat the average and get some cool extras (like our prequel e-comic). Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

I just played Episode 1 after buying it in the bundle. I would have backed it on Kickstarter but I didn’t even learn about Kickstarter until late last year!

Anyway, this game was wonderful and story wise the best adventure game I’ve played in a long time. Definitely got a GK vibe from it and also reminded me of the more recent Blackwell games in some ways with the main character, sidekick, and creative usage of a cell phone.

My only gripes were a few bugs (sometimes when I clicked something it could take 10 seconds or so for her to react) and how some text was skippable but other text wasn’t so I had to sit through lengthy dialogue long after I’d read the subtitles.

But anyway, enough about the few faults, this is really worth playing and the music was absolutely top notch adding to the mood and ambience. Good voice acting too, the main character had a nice soothing voice. I also thought the puzzles were great and the difficult level spot on… no crazy slider puzzles, everything was solvable with a little thought.

Just ordered the Season Upgrade v2 - Episodes 2-4 set. Smile

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thank you Stuart! So glad you enjoyed the game—I hope you like Episode 2 just as much Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I also just finished both Episode 1 & 2, it is a very good game and i’m looking forward to episode 3 & 4.

I only really have two complaints:

It is extremely linear, there are almost nothing you can do “out of order”. I understand the need to tell the story in a linear way, but it should be possible to have a linear story, and still give the players a bit more freedom then we have in this game.

The damn screwdriver in episode 2.
(rant alert) Apparently there is in all of Boston not a single hardware shop where you can buy a screwdriver, Erica Reed hasn’t got one in her car or at home, the whole of FBI in Boston is completely deprived of screwdrivers, and the only way we can get a screwdriver is to solve another puzzle. And it is not the only artificial obstacle, i could also mention the dictaphone in episode 1, surely the FBI has equipment for playing all sorts of tape formats, no matter how old and obsolete they are.(rant over)

I understand the need to not reveal the content in the vent too early, but it could have been done more elegantly.

The whole idea with her cognition power and the way it is used to solve puzzles, is however very cleaver and works very well, and despite my two issues i still think it is a very good game.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

I loved Episode 1 and have already bought the series but there is no way that I can wait 3 months between episodes. I’m just going to wait until the entire series is done and then play it all at once.

I had to do the same thing with The Walking Dead.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Fair enough, Coyote Smile

Iznogood: I can understand the rants. Those are among the more “adventure game-y” puzzles in the games. We do try to make the puzzles as realistic as we can, while keeping them fun & interesting.

Though they are fairly linear, there are some alternate puzzle solutions in Ep 1 that add a little variety. Things like more branching paths and more open world are on the list of stuff we’d like to do more of when we can, but they weren’t really in the scope for this project. Someday!

Glad you enjoyed the game overall, though, and thank you for the feedback!

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top