• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

How would you convince a friend to become an Adventurer ?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

as much as unpopular the Adventure genre comparing to the others Shooting,Action,RPG and Console Games/Genres, are as much i get asked by friend and people about them all the time.

i had The chance to (through long years) to get three of my friends hooked to adventure games , i even remember a friend who bought a PC just to play Bladerunner at his home instead of just playing it with me on mine’s.

but on the contrary i almost always fail not just to attract friends (which is something i don’t need to for sure) to this Genre.

the lucky nature of my work at a Rehearsal Studio i have a lot of time to play Adventures their and from time to time people comes to me with the same Question “what is this are you playing” i answer and its an Adventure game and rarely that i find people know what i am talking about and from those who know mostly had tried Famous games, titles like Monkey island or Grim fandango .

anyways , its not that i want to be a missionary and go find people to follow Adventure Gaming Wink , but its just that i fail to convince anyone who doesn’t know about the genre of how good it is, it always end up by him/her saying ” so that is it, there is no one to kill/shoot or gap to jump, ...hmm ok!”..... see later alligator ,...in while crocodile .

so i was wonder if anyone here has something efficient to say that can at least makes someone who never tried Adventures to be interested, or at least to consider that i am not walking my avatar around like a fool because sitting next to me while i am playing an AG is Not fun.

so what would you say to attract someone to the Adventure Gaming, or Generally if you had a story about similar to the subject.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

I’m quite sure that here in this forum there isn’t a single person who just became adventurer recently. We’ve all played these games as kids and we still have that passion. I can hardly imagine a young person that will grow such a passion if he starts playing adventures now.
Sure, I’ve recommended some easy-going adventures to some friends (and some of them enjoyed them). But that doesn’t make them adventurers. We’ve played some games with my gf and it was really fun. But I’ll never see her playing seriously something on her own Smile

So I guess adventuring isn’t a contagious decease. No advice from me. But if you want to show a nice adventure game for somebody, don’t hesitate to do so. They won’t be maniac about it as you are, but if you have chosen the right title for them, I’m sure they’ll appreciate it. I’ve managed a little success with amanita games, cause: they look fresh and modern; aren’t difficult; are absolute joy to the eye and the ear; puzzles are more intuitive (not the typical adventure gameplay with all the talking and the inventar). Plus, some of them can be played online so it’s really easy to share it Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

badlemon - 09 September 2012 02:33 PM

I’m quite sure that here in this forum there isn’t a single person who just became adventurer recently.

Well i am really glad that you Brought that Point Badlemon ,because it is what i was thinking when writing the previous post, Please let me rephrase that Quote as i see it

“I am Quite Sure that here in this forum there a single person of the active users who just became an adventurer recently”

you can see new members every day joining 3-4 approximately some few of those post new threads majorly asking for suggestings and the most stay on the silient mode.
so the that mean that the members who post are very small number of those 16203 members here, and i would say certainly that we the active users dont not exceed 100-150 members.

and about those who stay put its because 1. they are satisfied of watching what being posted 2. they are afraid of joining so they wont get some those sarcasm rude posts that that the forums filled with .

Trumgottist - 08 September 2012 12:41 PM

This forum at another thread (by which I mean its content - not the forum software) is nice, but it’s not worth that kind of trouble. (Let’s not drag this thread further off topic, though. The issue has been mentioned in the Site Feedback forum, and I can simply choose to not spend as much time here. Not a huge loss for anyone.)

i read Trumgottist post today and i couldn’t disagree though i wanted to say anything positive , but nada , we are getting more and more boring everyday and the forum had turned into a contest and competing place for old Adventurers to show how better they are, maybe by the big number of the games they had played or by suggesting that all hardest Games were nothing but a walk in a park.

i wish we can get back to the core of adventures and start discussing adventures and issues concerning them with recpect to to everyone.

and about the subject ,(lol) there are many things can be said to atract new people to get hooked or at least inserted in the adventure gaming and scene but i guess i had already over filled my post Wink

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Advie - you’ve posted such an interesting topic! I’ve tried to introduce a couple of people to AG gaming. The problem that I’ve come across is that non-gamers have a perception that games are for kids, a waste of time & see them as all action as they see what’s advertised for the most prominent games or what their partners, kids etc are playing.

For anyone that loves crosswords, puzzles of any kind, reading & films AGs offer another angle. The problem is that they’re just not promoted enough outside of AG sites! If they were featured in other publications & in libraries I’m sure there is a large untapped market for them with people that just don’t realise that that they offer a story-based interactive experience which falls between reading & watching a film/TV with the addition of something to make you think. I don’t know whether I’ve said that right but I’d just love more people to discover AGs!

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

You need to play a psychologist. If your friend is rock & hard rock music lover, you should tell him: You definitely need to check Full Throttle, it’s got the best rock music ever in a game! If he/she’s into Sherlock Holmes books, TV shows or movies, you’ll tell him to try some of the Sherlock adventure games. If your friend asks you to visit with him the Neuschwanstein Castle (I’m not making this one up) you’d tell him: Really? Been there. Try Gabriel Knight 2.

But really, what happens from there depends on your friend’s “adventure spirit”, so to speak. I was lucky to get a “nudge” from some of my friends and start with some great games even though the adventure spirit was always in there.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Advie - 09 September 2012 04:38 PM
Trumgottist - 08 September 2012 12:41 PM

This forum (by which I mean its content - not the forum software) is nice, but it’s not worth that kind of trouble. (Let’s not drag this thread further off topic, though. The issue has been mentioned in the Site Feedback forum, and I can simply choose to not spend as much time here. Not a huge loss for anyone.)

i read Trumgottist post today and i couldn’t disagree though i wanted to say anything positive , but nada , we are getting more and more boring everyday and the forum had turned into a contest and competing place for old Adventurers to show how better they are, maybe by the big number of the games they had played or by suggesting that all hardest Games were nothing but a walk in a park.

You misunderstood Trumgottist. He was talking about the terrible forum software.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it seems you are totally Right Fien Nerd

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Convincing someone else to try an adventure game is a difficult thing.

Most of the people I know that play games on a PC are simply not interested in “slow” adventure games. Fortunately, they’re all aware of the genre.

Even those that used to play adventures in the 90s seem to have lost interest. My best mate (who’s played most of the LucasArts games as well as a few others like Discworld or Simon) probably hasn’t played an adventure game newer than Escape From Monkey Island, despite me raving about To the Moon and Lost Horizon. DFA is on his radar, though, and anything Discworld would be too.

Those I know that DON’T game on a PC either don’t game at all (and look down upon gaming), or stick to more console-y games (even if they have a DS). Or I get the “My English isn’t good enough for story-based games”-excuse.

Even TimovieWife and TimovieBrother-in-Law haven’t gotten beyond trying the (Dutch translation of the) second Professor Layton game for a bit (the first is in English Tongue). No matter how much I recommend things, it’s simply not happening.

I’m starting to think procreation is the only way to attract new gamers to our beloved genre… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Try to get them started in a genre they like and possibly with an easier/short adventure game.  If they can’t handle old school graphics then it’ll have to be a modern game.  If that doesn’t work, then probably a lost cause.

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

I tried to convince a few people to play AGs but really, it doesn’t work like that. All the adventurers I know personally have started to play by themselves and liked it. But most people my age (I’m 44) just don’t have the time or the patience or the persistence and stamina to finish even part of an AG, even if they do like them. My advice, Advie, is to not even try to convince your friends. It only leads to disappointments.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I guess i found the Answer to that Question ... i would say Try The walking Dead.
i still didn’t try it Grin but the Aggies seem to wanna push me with all the awards its getting .. but i still keeping me word about “i will never play TWD” Tongue ..not for me!

but new ccmers would

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I would give them the best example of a modern adventure game. Ghost Trick on the DS. Booya.

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Advie, this is indeed so true!
Adventure games are/were so unpopular comparing to other game genres and I never understood why?!
Like badlemon said, most of us started playing as kids and we still are so passionate about this genre.

I personally used to be ashamed to talk about those games I loved as a kid in game forums, because I thought nobody would be interested, since there are so many new games coming out all the time. And I was always interested in other games too, but there were so little adventure games coming out that I was really hungry for more!
And I was suprised and glad to find out that people are still talking about and playing these games! Because personally I believe that those games were made by people who put all their passion and madness and love into it and didn’t care about money or fame.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2005-03-13

PM

My advice would be to try to find the kind of game that you think might appeal to your friends. Like someone said above, if they like Sherlock Holmes, try giving them one of those games. It’s really tempting to recommend your own favourites, but sometimes that does more harm than good. My favourite adventure is Grim Fandango, and as much as I’d like my friend to play it, I know she would hate it due to some personal issues she has with some of the topics discussed in the game.

And don’t be too enthusiastic or pushy because that’s the fastest way to turn off people from what you like. If their interest is luke-warm, let it be. One of my friends is really into this certain TV series and has been “subtly” trying to get me to watch it. I know I’d probably like the series because it has all the elements I usually love, but the constant nagging has made me want to never give it a chance just out of spite.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Indeed, if you do want to go on a mission and “convert” others, don’t bring the classic golden games. The best of the best (see the TOP100) are all more than 10 years old, run akwardly on modern machines and people most likely respond poorly to outdated graphics and the general flow of the game.

We love them because we mainly remember playing them the first time they came out….and it was impressive. Especially then. You can’t copy/paste that experience for new gamers now. It simply doesn’t work like that.

Instead offer the best the genre has to offer today, which is now a simple answer:

The Walking Dead.

Several reasons:
- Popular TV franchise, so it appeals already to those that are fan of the series
- Great writing and acting
- Casual gaming, so it’s pretty easy to go into for whatever level of gaming experience
- And, a contemporary gaming experience, with the actual story choices and the occasional QTE’s. I don’t think the new generation of gamers is still looking for the classic puzzles like dialogue and inventory puzzles…(no matter how good they were/are)

There is a good chance they like it, perhaps already tried it and didn’t even realize it nicely classifies as an Adventuregame when you look at all the elements included.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

diego - 09 September 2012 06:44 PM

You need to play a psychologist. If your friend is rock & hard rock music lover, you should tell him: You definitely need to check Full Throttle, it’s got the best rock music ever in a game! If he/she’s into Sherlock Holmes books, TV shows or movies, you’ll tell him to try some of the Sherlock adventure games. If your friend asks you to visit with him the Neuschwanstein Castle (I’m not making this one up) you’d tell him: Really? Been there. Try Gabriel Knight 2.

But really, what happens from there depends on your friend’s “adventure spirit”, so to speak. I was lucky to get a “nudge” from some of my friends and start with some great games even though the adventure spirit was always in there.

There is one more thing I would definitely add to the above criteria: sense of humor. What a catalyst when it comes to AGs. If your friend is impatient or restless in character then forget about convincing him, really.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top