• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 18 February 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Say what you want about The Dig (I personally love it, despite its slightly messy nature due to its long development history), but it can’t be denied that it has some of the best colour palettes ever.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Ahhh!...The only Lucas Arts game I liked.  Smile

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Awesome game, with probably the best atmosphere I’ve seen in any game ever. Most of this due to the amazing soundtrack by Michael Z. Land.

If this didn’t have such a lackluster ending, I’d consider this the best game ever…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

GreyFuss - 18 February 2013 12:47 PM

I’ve never played it, but somehow, I’m getting the feeling that it might be the only LucasArts game that got the cult following independent of whether one is generally a LA fan or not.

Sure, it’s more of a serious game than the comedy, but the game did have a “major” drawback - in 1995. SVGA resolution was already starting to be the default graphics resolution, and that’s where long production took its toll on The Dig - it looked almost exactly like Fate of Atlantis. From this perspective, it’s less of a problem, but in that regard I’m sensing The Dig could benefit from a remake more than any other LA title.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

One day I will play this game!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Absolutely love the Dig, though I find those stave puzzles toward the end a little tedious. Fortunately they had the doubleclick-to-exit-screens in place. Awesome atmosphere, great music, beautiful artwork, amazing voice acting. A true gem.

If I’m not mistaken, I remember something about it originally being supposed to be a full motion picture by Stephen Spielberg, but somewhere along the road, they decided to make it a game instead. I’m glad they did.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dag - 18 February 2013 02:31 PM

If I’m not mistaken, I remember something about it originally being supposed to be a full motion picture by Stephen Spielberg, but somewhere along the road, they decided to make it a game instead. I’m glad they did.

According to the wiki it was supposed to be an Amazing Stories episode or movie. Was Spielberg involved in the making of the game beyond the initial idea?

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This is a definitely a favorite of mine.  It has very good puzzles, an interesting story, and great music.  Despite the blocky pixels, it’s very pleasing to the eye.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

I loved it.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2012-11-27

PM

TimovieMan - 18 February 2013 12:56 PM

Awesome game, with probably the best atmosphere I’ve seen in any game ever. Most of this due to the amazing soundtrack by Michael Z. Land.

If this didn’t have such a lackluster ending, I’d consider this the best game ever…

Oh, that ending, don’t remind me. I was really frustrated when all of that happened. I just couldn’t believe that they would resort to such an ending and it negated the impact of previous scenes that were actually quite disturbing and/or emotional.

Still a pretty good game, but not one I prefer over many of the other LA adventures.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 18 February 2013 01:33 PM

I’ve never played it, but somehow, I’m getting the feeling that it might be the only LucasArts game that got the cult following independent of whether one is generally a LA fan or not.

Well, it didn’t have many dialogues, there was a lot of solitary exploration, and it had practically no humour at all. It does stand out among the rest of the LucasArts catalogue… Tongue

wilco - 18 February 2013 02:43 PM

According to the wiki it was supposed to be an Amazing Stories episode or movie. Was Spielberg involved in the making of the game beyond the initial idea?

It was supposed to be an Amazing Stories episode, but the script proved far too expensive to be made into a movie or episode. Spielberg, being the video game fan that he was, then decided to have it made into a game instead.

I don’t think he was very much involved in the making of the game except for giving some suggestions along the way, though.

Primate Ryan - 18 February 2013 03:08 PM

Oh, that ending, don’t remind me. I was really frustrated when all of that happened. I just couldn’t believe that they would resort to such an ending and it negated the impact of previous scenes that were actually quite disturbing and/or emotional.

It was the best game ever for me until the very final cutscene. But I do have to say that after leaving a gap of several years between replays, the conversation you have in the underground pyramid with The Inventor sheds more light on the ending, and I don’t dislike it as much as I once did.

Still, it turned the best game of all time into about the #10 game or so for me… Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

The game went through about 4 project leads and was restarted at least once.

It was a bit of a troubled project.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lucien21 - 18 February 2013 03:12 PM

The game went through about 4 project leads and was restarted at least once.

It was a bit of a troubled project.

Which is only noticeable when you compare the cutscenes (top of the line in 1995) with the regular in-game graphics (top of the line in 1993).

Frankly, back in 1995, I didn’t feel like any part of this game felt outdated (and I still don’t). Say what you will, but Sean Clark managed to release a finished product that didn’t really show its own troubled history.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Loooooove The Dig, even though a few of the puzzles are annoying. All in all an awesome game, one of Lucas Arts’ best.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

diego - 18 February 2013 01:33 PM
GreyFuss - 18 February 2013 12:47 PM

I’m sensing The Dig could benefit from a remake more than any other LA title.

I agree Diego as long as by “remake” you mean completely make a new game with todays technology. Just use the same story and maybe go even more indepth as in the Novel. Maybe more on the line of Perry Rhodan would be good enough for me.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

I learned an important life lesson from The Dig… If you can pick it up, take it with you because you never know when you might need it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top