• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Psychological Adventures

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i just finished The kite and it did really hit me hard, and made me wonder of the Advneture that i played and did not, which had that sort of Psychological theme and deep Issues.

those what i remember so Far:

Phantasmagoria (1&2)
Blade Runner (why not)
Black Mirror 1 (2nd and 3rd are more into horror/thriller)
Sanitarium (for Sure!!)
Midnight Nowhere (Big Time)
Overclocked: A History of Violence! .......

Edit/Explain:as those games i mentioned all had that theme of a troubled Hero, who suffers from some real deep issues, and Psychological as a term to be accompanied with Arts (such as with movies,games,novels,paintings ....) can surly contain some other plots/ideas/perceptions ...  or whatever, which i am not aware of ,right now.
it could also be mixed with Serious, emotional and Horror themes,.. but those not what i am really digging.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Blackstone Chronicles
Memento Mori

Also on a different level are these (games) Interactive Movies

Tender Loving Care
P.O.V.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

I think Phantasmagoria and Midnight Nowhere are poorly written games, so I might not understand what you tried to say.

But nevertheless, I find such games as Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Overlocked quite emotional and mature.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Arial Type - 01 June 2012 05:22 PM

I think Phantasmagoria and Midnight Nowhere are poorly written games, so I might not understand what you tried to say.

But nevertheless, I find such games as Grim Fandango, Gabriel Knight series, Heavy Rain, Overlocked quite emotional and mature.

it is a matter of perception (i guess).

i was looking for things that would be similar to Movies like Seven, Fight Club , Memento ,Shining ...etc

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

GreyFuss - 01 June 2012 04:33 PM

Blackstone Chronicles
Memento Mori

Memento Mori? i thought you dont play 3rd person’s Adventures, GreyFuss!

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Adventurere No.1 - 01 June 2012 06:56 PM
GreyFuss - 01 June 2012 04:33 PM

Blackstone Chronicles
Memento Mori

Memento Mori? i thought you dont play 3rd person’s Adventures, GreyFuss!

I don’t believe I have ever said I don’t play 3rd person games. I have played many. My preference is first person perspective. Maybe you where confused about me not playing any cartoony games which of course are mostly 3rd person. I also don’t touch any Casuals as they have nothing that interests me.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

A few others…..

The Moment of Silence
Yesterday
Shadow of Destiny
Indigo Prophecy(Fahrenheit)
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I would count Black Mirror sequels in. Darren is definitely fighting with his inner feelings a lot, I’m remembering that at points he’s evening questioning his sanity.

Memento Mori, Fahrenheit, Overclocked - already mentioned but came to my mind from the thread title.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

millenia - 02 June 2012 06:57 AM

I would count Black Mirror sequels in. Darren is definitely fighting with his inner feelings a lot, I’m remembering that at points he’s evening questioning his sanity.

you might be right millenia but i see Darren in the 2nd and the 3rd parts does not have that strong Psychological issue (from the point of revealing the story,surly he suffered no doubt) as with Samuel’s .

Darren was like an open book from the beginning which does not offer the story a big climate as it moves on, nevertheless there is nothing to be shocking as BM1 Ending.

P.S:I hope i you can understand my point as it hard express it with my limited vocabulary

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Adventurere No.1 - 02 June 2012 10:43 AM
millenia - 02 June 2012 06:57 AM

you might be right millenia but i see Darren in the 2nd and the 3rd parts does not have that strong Psychological issue (from the point of revealing the story,surly he suffered no doubt) as with Samuel’s .

Darren was like an open book from the beginning which does not offer the story a big climate as it moves on, nevertheless there is nothing to be shocking as BM1 Ending.

P.S:I hope i you can understand my point as it hard express it with my limited vocabulary

Yes, I agree with you that Samuel’s psyche is a huge part of the game, whereas the sequels focus more on the overall mystery. I wasn’t shocked though, saw it coming Wink.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 97

Joined 2011-03-06

PM

How about Next Life?

With all of their nightmares and everything meant to elicit fear, to experiment with people’s response to fear and all that. Not to mention not knowing where you are after thinking you have died.

Currently Playing: The Testament of Sherlock Holmes;
Currently Re-Playing: Culpa Innata

Recently Finished: Secret Files: Puritas Cordis, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Dear Esther

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

I’d say Faust: Seven Games of the Soul applies to that theme. It’s also a rather good and overlooked game. Rather old and possible tricky to run nowadays but quite mature and emotional in it’s disturbing way.

I would also add Edna and Harvey: The Breakout in there. It’s a cartoonish comedy on the outside but its story and take on disturbed mentality and inner struggles really resonated with me, once I got the whole picture. It really is a rather dark, mature game wrapped inside a zany-looking exterior.

Finally, Darkness Within: In pursuit of Loath Nolder might also qualify due to the “distorted reality” and “broken psyche of the protagonist” thing that it has going on. I don’t consider it to be a great game and the story ended up confusing and frustrating more than intriguing me, to be honest, but I think it’s got the elements to be considered a “psychological” adventure to some extent.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

What about I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream?
I can’t think of any game that is more about “Psychological theme and deep Issues.” than this is!

The whole game is basically about dealing with issues from the protagonists past, like suicide, rape and other nasty stuff. And in the last part, you are literally dealing with the different psychological parts (like ego, id etc.) of an inteligent computer.

Also it is a great game, that is somewhat overlooked by many. 

[edit] didn’t notice HitBattousai also mentioned I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream, but it is worth mentioning again.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top