• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

A first-person real-time horror detective game from a new studio called The Astronauts (ex-People Can Fly developers). It looks beautiful and sounds promising IMO.

A quote about the story/world and gameplay:
“As a detective with the supernatural ability to visualize scenes of lethal crimes, you investigate the kidnapping of a young boy, hoping to save him before it’s too late. The investigation leads you to a beautiful mountain area, where you come across a severely mutilated body of one of the kidnappers. Using both your paranormal skill and modern detective tools you discover the mystery behind the trail of corpses in the valley, the roots of an ancient force ruling the area, and the fate of the kidnapped boy.”
http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/02/the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter/

A bit more about the gameplay:
“When asked about the gameplay mechanics Chmielarz said, “The focus of the game is its escapist factor: the immersion, the exploration and the discovery. But it wouldn’t make much sense to play as a detective if you weren’t doing any detecting, would it? So there’s a little bit of that, but again, the focus is not on mind bending puzzles, but on unsettling discoveries.

“Take Dear Esther, add gameplay, murder and corpses. That’s the closest to what The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is.”“
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-07-the-vanishing-of-ethan-carter-wont-contain-any-combat

In-engine teaser video:

Screenshot:

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Seems beautiful (and a little spooky…), but it’s just the first shots. Very intriguing at least.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Could be interesting, however hard to judge by the short clip, does not give away much information about the game.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Well teasers are meant to create the atmosphere and say ‘Look at me, I’m different. Stay in touch k?’. So game play usually is never shown. Without it it, everyone will be bitching about how its so much like another game…blah blah blah.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

From the team that made Painkiller and Bulletstorm. Interesting

But “Dear Esther with gameplay”, that doesnt make sense…

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

The game will be short (apparently that’s revolutionary now):
http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/01/short-games-revolution/

The teaser is pretty amazing though - the synopsis, not so much. Let’s see if these veterans can pull off a game that’s as multifaceted as it is pretty.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I was hyped until “the focus is not on mind bending puzzles, but on unsettling discoveries”. I really wish to play a detective thriller with a lot of detective puzzles. I’m not saying the game needs to include “mind bending puzzles” to be good, but somehow I got the impression that puzzle work will be kept to minimal.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 24

Joined 2011-02-25

PM

They are aiming for a Dear Esther experience so yes, the gameplay is going to be minimal.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

wilco - 14 February 2013 05:48 AM

But “Dear Esther with gameplay”, that doesnt make sense…

I agree, makes no sense at all. Doesn’t matter, I’m very intrigued.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

thejobloshow - 14 February 2013 06:02 AM

The game will be short (apparently that’s revolutionary now):
http://www.theastronauts.com/2013/01/short-games-revolution/

The teaser is pretty amazing though - the synopsis, not so much. Let’s see if these veterans can pull off a game that’s as multifaceted as it is pretty.

I’m playing Knight of the Republic 2 for the first time at the moment and I feel its desparate need for an editor constantly. The opening section on Peragus Mining Station took almost 10 hours to complete, divided over two gaming sessions. That’s much too long, ideally I should have been able to get through it at the end of my first session, after five hours. A lot of the time is filled up with just another fight™. I wish the experience was more focused and less lengthened with lots of filler.
It’s a great game nonetheless so far. But I agree with the article that many games just seem to be long to give the costumers the feeling they got their money’s worth.

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Great story. I have a feeling this is going to be good. I have yet to play Dear Esther, but it is top in my list with games to play.
Also, I’m new here, so hello to all members! Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Dertiger - 14 February 2013 11:32 AM

It’s my privilige to extend a laurel and hearty handshake to our new… member! Wink

Btw, are you a 30-something Dutchman?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 12:56 PM
Dertiger - 14 February 2013 11:32 AM

It’s my privilige to extend a laurel

What, he’s here for a day and he gets to be Caesar already?  Tongue

Welcome Dertinger! Ave, I mean Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Zifnab - 14 February 2013 03:25 PM

What, he’s here for a day and he gets to be Caesar already?  Tongue

I take it you’ve never seen Blazing Saddles? Grin

On-topic: the game looks great.

Not sure what’s so hard to get about the concept of “Dear Esther with more gameplay”? It means there’ll be more to it than just the exploration aspect. Maybe some actual puzzles?

What doesn’t make sense is claiming it’ll be “Dear Esther with more gameplay” and then going around saying “the focus will not be on puzzles but on startling discoveries”. That second part sounds like Dear Esther without more gameplay… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 04:21 PM

Not sure what’s so hard to get about the concept of “Dear Esther with more gameplay”? It means there’ll be more to it than just the exploration aspect.

What you’re saying is that it’s the exploration that makes DE unique? I don’t agree.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Fien - 14 February 2013 04:33 PM
TimovieMan - 14 February 2013 04:21 PM

Not sure what’s so hard to get about the concept of “Dear Esther with more gameplay”? It means there’ll be more to it than just the exploration aspect.

What you’re saying is that it’s the exploration that makes DE unique? I don’t agree.

For me it implies that Dear Esther doesn’t have gameplay, and also adding gameplay that involves “Using both your paranormal skill and modern detective tools”, murder and corpses doesn’t sound like Dear Esther experience at all.
But it does sound interesting

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top