• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Charophyceanchrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 11 February 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’ve never really been interested in The Lost Crown, so I’m not sure what is going on here, or why there are bits of colour in an otherwise black-and-whith scene, but I’m sure it all makes sense somehow.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I have actually never played this game either. I have been thinking about picking this game up several times, but then after reading mixed reviews, I change my mind all the time. Maybe I’m missing out on something good, who knows.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I was impressed to read about the research Boakes puts into his games. He hunts down real locations and I heard he even joined a ghosthunting group to prepare for TLC, which is where he got the devices from. There’s an authenticity there which you don’t often get with other spooky ghost-story games.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

yes Niclas you are missing something Good , an experience that is between a traditional 3rd/1st person Adventures and obscure ones.

@ Kuru in this scene the Nigel Uses a recorder an EVP (electronic voice phenomena) recorder of unexplainable sounds, to detect ghosts.
and about the colored Portrait/object it has no signification, used at most of the game backgrounds as an art style of mixing B&W with Colors ... that after a short while you really find it amusing and beauty . 

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

It’s a great game and one of the scariest ever. The atmosphere is extremely well done. The story is strong, and puzzles are well integrated.

The main drawback is that the pace of the game is very slow. There are some long dialogues, and if I remember correctly they cannot be skipped. Also you may find yourself backtracking frequently.

But the game is totally worth a playthrough. I found myself completely engaged the entire time.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

What I liked from this game was the graphics (black and white helped a lot) and some really clever puzzles. On the other hand, I didn’t find it scary at all (I can’t even put it in this category. Darkfall is far superior in terms of scary atmosphere) and its ending is really bad, leaving many questions unanswered (hope the upcoming “The Last Crown” makes things better).

The bottom line is that after all those years I would gladly replay it. Perhaps I should.

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

Maybe I have to reconsider playing this game then. :) Sounds like an awesome game.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

The only complaints I’ve heard are of the inability to skip dialogue, the large amount of backtracking, some stiff animation and some of the voice acting.

Small beans to deal with when playing one of the greatest and scariest AGs ever. The game just requires patience. This game floored me, and I need to play it again.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 12 February 2013 02:56 AM

after all those years I would gladly replay it.

You made it sound like the game was published in 1988 instead of 2008.

I (sadly) haven’t played The Lost Crown yet, but (judging by the exhilaration of some people I know and whose taste is like mine) I guess it could be(come) one of my favo(u)rites.

P.S. Long (meaningful, not just put there to pad the game time) dialogs (like in The Longest Journey) were never a problem for me (on the contrary, I enjoy reach stories and I like getting clues in a subtle way).

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 794

Joined 2003-10-05

PM

I’m currently playing through this game and honestly I feel like I am being forced to play a casual adventure at 1/10 speed after downing a handful of Ambien with a bottle of Nyquil. It’s slow as molasses and tedious as all hell. I’ve been playing it on and off for 2 months now, because I can’t handle more than a few hours at a time without getting bored.

Fetch the letters to the grave. Fetch ingredients for stew. Fetch reagents for a spell. Fetch the clues for my treasure hunt. The scene has changed, can you spot the differences? It’s the type of stuff you find in a HOG adventure. There are very few real puzzles to speak of (yet), it’s mostly just follow the trail of hotspots.

As for the story, it didn’t even start to interest me at all until I discovered where the cats had gone. Too bad I had to bear a dozen or more hours of ennui to get to that point. I can definitely say I will never play this game ever again at this point.

I liked his earlier games, but this one is a big letdown to me.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Bastich - 13 February 2013 06:50 PM

I’m currently playing through this game and honestly I feel like I am being forced to play a casual adventure at 1/10 speed after downing a handful of Ambien with a bottle of Nyquil. It’s slow as molasses and tedious as all hell. I’ve been playing it on and off for 2 months now, because I can’t handle more than a few hours at a time without getting bored.

Fetch the letters to the grave. Fetch ingredients for stew. Fetch reagents for a spell. Fetch the clues for my treasure hunt. The scene has changed, can you spot the differences? It’s the type of stuff you find in a HOG adventure. There are very few real puzzles to speak of (yet), it’s mostly just follow the trail of hotspots.

As for the story, it didn’t even start to interest me at all until I discovered where the cats had gone. Too bad I had to bear a dozen or more hours of ennui to get to that point. I can definitely say I will never play this game ever again at this point.

I think that’s just an advantage of 1st person games. You can zip around doing and reading at your own pace, while in TLC you’re forced to wait until Nigel walks slowly to the other side of the screen to look at the gravestone, then walks back again through the gap in the rocks, stopping to say “nothing ventured…” each time. Seriously, that line is permanently lodged in my head after hearing it 68 times - Thanks a lot, Johnathan!  Pan Smile

BUT… somehow none of that mattered, because I enjoyed TLC a lot. It was dripping with atmosphere, maybe because it was so slow that you were forced to soak it up.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

zobraks - 13 February 2013 05:24 AM

favo(u)rites.

Zobraks , i am wondering you still haven’t made up your which way to Spell the word? Shifty Eyed .. i am sure that neither the Brits Or uncle Sam’s would be assaulted by your choice Tongue

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Zifnab - 13 February 2013 07:11 PM

...stopping to say “nothing ventured…” each time. Seriously, that line is permanently lodged in my head after hearing it 68 times - Thanks a lot, Johnathan!  Pan Smile

Also, “That’s…very…ODD.”

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

zobraks - 13 February 2013 05:24 AM

P.S. Long (meaningful, not just put there to pad the game time) dialogs (like in The Longest Journey) were never a problem for me (on the contrary, I enjoy reach stories and I like getting clues in a subtle way).

Long, well-done dialogues (e.g. Longest Journey, GK) I like…long, banal, badly-acted & scripted dialogues are something else. Plus you can’t skip them AND at times I wasn’t sure if something had changed…meaning you click again and have to listen to the whole dialogue another time. Yep, the dialogue trees stay there even after you’ve listened to them once.

Lost Crown also has totally artificial barriers to you exploring the whole town. You just can’t go further until the game “allows” you to.

Apart from that, gotta agree with Bastich about a lack of interesting puzzles and can’t say the storyline grabbed me either. Think we stopped before finding out about the cats, so maybe it got more interesting. To be fair the graphical presentation & atmosphere were done nicely, but it’s just sooooooo slow and repetitive. (And the acting is on a level with Black Mirror)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

DaveyB - 14 February 2013 04:04 AM

Apart from that, gotta agree with Bastich about a lack of interesting puzzles and can’t say the storyline grabbed me either. Think we stopped before finding out about the cats, so maybe it got more interesting.

Yes it does. Particularly in the final third of the game IMO.

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Bastich - 13 February 2013 06:50 PM

I totally agree. I remember playing this game when it first came out and hating it after playing for several hours. Then I kept seeing all the rave reviews and decided that maybe I didn’t give it a fair shake and picked it up aagin about a year ago. I couldn’t finish it. It’s so slow and all the repetitive lines drove me crazy. I eventually just had to use a walkthrough when I got stuck because I honestly couldn’t bear the thought of going back through all the locations all the time to see what I was missing. Halfway through I realized that I’m still not enjoying it and I stopped again. Maybe one day I’ll try again.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top