• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 4 February 2013

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Kurufinwe - 12 February 2013 02:38 AM

Not really. There are still lots of interesting conversations about games, especially during the community playthroughs. And that thread was not typical of the general tone of the forums; ultimately, it was essentially 3 people talking, two of which (Fien and I) had just joined a few months before and still had a lot of enthusiasm for discussing things in-depth (look how bitter and jaded we’ve become 7 years down the road… Tongue ).

If I said what I want to say to you right now, I would be banned.
BTW, I joined AG in 2003, not 2005.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Sorry. Meh I should have warned you against reading that thread until you’d finished the game.

No worries. The read was worth it. (I don’t even care about the story spoiler as I saw that coming from long way out.)

TerminusEst - 11 February 2013 11:25 PM

Is it just me or did the forums use to be a slightly more intellectual place back in the day?  Meh

Not really.

Fien - 12 February 2013 02:39 AM

Yes.

Grin

Still I guess it’s true that the mid-noughties were more exciting times: those were the days of Fahrenheit, and Dreamfall, and Telltale’s first episodic games. It felt like the genre was finally coming out of its coma and exploring bold new directions, and that led to both long speculative discussions and to revisiting some underrated games from the second half of the 90s that had tried to break the mould back then (Obsidian, Faust, The Last Express, etc.). That was pretty different from the regressive Kickstarter-fuelled nostalgiafest we’re going through now.

Hm. While I do see where you are coming from, I do feel that this resurgence we are seeing now, even if it ends up producing the same boring old kinds of games from the same boring old people, will be good for innovation. After all, games like Obsidian and TLE needed a well-established mainstream to break away from.

[...] Antichamber [...] Riven [...] Faust

I’ve been seeing the Antichamber trailer around. It does seem like it might be not too dissimilar from my cup of tea. I will give it a spin once it goes on sale. As for Riven, I’ve heard so much about it that I might just have to bite the bullet and dive in. Even if I don’t like it and can’t force myself to finish it, it will have been an important experience. I will move Faust higher up in my to-play pile. Thanks for the suggestions!

I strongly recommend “The Official Obsidian Strategies and Secrets”, written by two people involved in the making of Obsidian. (Available at amazon for a few cents. Smile) I bought the guide after my first playthrough and read it while replaying the game. It offers interesting insights in the entire game concept.

Cents indeed! Already ordered. Wink Thanks!

But the fantasy game Zork Grand Inquisitor is another great Mystian game with some very good puzzles and a lovely sense of humor.

ZGI I’ve both played AND finished. Thumbs Up

Oh? The robot painter puzzle was not mentioned. Tongue But the thread may spoil another puzzle for you if you haven’t finished Obsidian yet.

Kurufinwe - 31 December 1969 07:33 PM

This is reinforced in the third world: she is talking not only of cleaning (even very thoroughly) the world, but of re-building it, using the image of an artist who, instead of having to work on already existing (and therefore not designed by her) material, would like to erase everything, to “get a blank sheet”, in order to be able to create the world she would like to create.

I didn’t notice anything else so either I am dense or purposefully skimmed over the other spoiler. Either way: whew! Smile

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Still I guess it’s true that the mid-noughties were more exciting times: those were the days of Fahrenheit, and Dreamfall, and Telltale’s first episodic games.

I thought the mid-noughties were the times of “Are adventure games dead?” threads Meh

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top