• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 09 February 2013 05:41 PM

And if he doesn’t, we can always fight it out with a banjo duel. Grin

In that case, I’d say whoever can play the Benny Hill theme is a winner. Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I love the amount of detail put into each description of hotspot and there a lot of them. So many funny stuff hidden. Just something you don’t see now. The interactions with Pyotr’s door! Grin
Only problem so far is having to restart the conversations anfter each bit of dialog… Not a big problem but really annoying

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 09 February 2013 05:55 PM

In that case, I’d say whoever can play the Benny Hill theme is a winner. Grin

Are you kidding me? I’d have shot his banjo long before we got to a song that complicated… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

zobraks - 09 February 2013 07:03 AM

I think you’re doing fine (for an Australian, non-English speaker that is ).

Heeeeey…. I speak the Queens english!

Well, I’ve finished Pyotrs chapter, and it was great! I must admit, I stopped clicking on the people in the street after a while, so I must’ve missed some comments, but I was eager to proceed. I got stuck a few times… but never for too long. The second set of riddles was fierce, I didn’t remember any of them, or the catagory. I had to go round gathering clues because I had literally no idea. Once I managed to put part of one together, Dad recognised a name, and then with Mum and Dad’s help I got them done. Can’t wait for the next chapter!

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Also finished the chapter. Got the bug that was discussed earlier the wax lips one and that was a bit frustrating. The second word puzzle was less frustrating mainly because of the tips from the NPCs and Imdb!!!!.
The resolution to Pyotr chapter was nice.[spoiler]Don’t you know red meat is bad for your heart, baby[/spoiler].

I’m glad to be playing this in a community playthrough, otherwise I would miss stuff like clicking everything again with Pyotr to get some new funny exchanges like Sefir helpfully pointed out.

Best Character so far: Bouncer Tor Pro golfer victim of Psychiatrist! So random Smile

Total Posts: 5569

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I got stuck wearing the wax lips once, but when I scrolled my inventory, they were there.  I also had to get my coffee nuked a second time because it had cooled down too much.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

diego - 05 February 2013 04:15 PM

Am I wrong, or CCS is the only game that utilizes this ingenious system of throwing you right to the action? It comes as a neat feature after the most tedious game starting system in Dracula 1 with excess disc swapping Angry

I’ll take credit for that feature! I was surprised that Legend (and others) did not adopt the idea. As a game player I wanted to get into the action as soon as possible. Josh is the one who pushed for custom “When we last left our heroes” messages.

For those of you commenting on Josh’s insane amount of unique user input handling and crazy long lists of action choices, now you know why I had to develop tools to automatically generate code and create default event handling. He was hard to keep up with on the code front.

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

TimovieMan - 09 February 2013 05:41 PM

we can always fight it out with a banjo duel. Grin

You asked for it: one banjo coming up your banjobunghole!

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 405

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Jim Montanus - 10 February 2013 02:55 AM

For those of you commenting on Josh’s insane amount of unique user input handling and crazy long lists of action choices, now you know why I had to develop tools to automatically generate code and create default event handling. He was hard to keep up with on the code front.

I can imagine!

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

Still working on it here. Smile I’m in Casimir’s but the riddles haven’t started yet. At this point there are no clear sub objectives besides the main one, so I’m looking for something to get things going again.

I was wondering if it would be possible to use all those jokes and descriptions in a game with modern gameplay mechanics. A newer game would show things using animations instead of describing them in text. I’m not sure that’s actually more fun though.

I’m afraid I’m missing out on a lot of puns. Unless there’s a kaboom-tjing I probably don’t even realize it’s a pun.
One that was announced clearly:
Phil. O. thigdury, The Acne of Da Fleet. Can anyone explain?

Also, it’s remarkable how well this game has aged. Does anyone feel the graphics look too dated? Or any gameplay mechanic needs upgrading?

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I just finished Pyotr’s adventure/brought him back to the saloon.

Wow.

I made 542 (yes, five-hundred-forty-two!) screenshots (must say DOSBox is great for taking screenshots), did my best to have (almost) all those jokes and other great moments recorded. Never took so many screenshots in any game before, and this is just the beginning of the playthrough.

This is truly a great game and I don’t understand how it had got so little publicity through the years. I mean, I read some good reviews of the game before (my favo(u)rite is the one at HoTU, written by S. Achavanuntakul - that’s how I first heard of CCS), but I think people (gamers, reviewers, journalists and other) should definitely speak more about this rare gem.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

zobraks - 10 February 2013 05:55 PM

This is truly a great game and I don’t understand how it had got so little publicity through the years.

I thought about it, too, and one of the reasons might be that there’s a big percent of gamers who’re not aware of the complexity of the game (meaning more separate stories) and who think the whole game more or less occurs in the bar. And quiz right at the start doesn’t help, either.

“Callahan’s” is really a “Pulp Fiction” of the genre, but you need to sit during the restaurant shooting to know it Laughing

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

HandsFree - 10 February 2013 06:30 AM

Also, it’s remarkable how well this game has aged. Does anyone feel the graphics look too dated? Or any gameplay mechanic needs upgrading?

A great sadness I have about CCS’s art is that the original artwork we received from our studio was much prettier. At that time our game engine used 256 paletted art, and so the beautiful 24 bit room artwork we got was squished into a pallette of 200 colors or so, since 16 were standard shades of grey, and another 40 or so were reserved for the interface and inventory icons. As a result, the images in the game are just not as beautiful as they were originally created. I would love to redo the game with 24/32 bit color to restore the game art back to its orginal quality.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I remember that the first time I played the game, I tried some kind of interaction between two items (I don’t remember which items, though I am almost certain it was in Pyotr’s castle) just for the laughs, and I received this kind of message from the narrator. (possible pun spoiler)
“Why would someone possibly try like this? Are you in some kind of childhood trauma? Did you know that Legend’s experienced psychologists notes all your game actions and analyzes it into a psychological profile in a file named SYCOBABL.TXT in the game folder?” or something like that (it’s been more than 10 years…). I didn’t meet it this time, though I tried everything. Did anyone else find it?

Jim Montanus - 11 February 2013 12:47 AM

A great sadness I have about CCS’s art is that the original artwork we received from our studio was much prettier. At that time our game engine used 256 paletted art, and so the beautiful 24 bit room artwork we got was squished into a pallette of 200 colors or so, since 16 were standard shades of grey, and another 40 or so were reserved for the interface and inventory icons. As a result, the images in the game are just not as beautiful as they were originally created. I would love to redo the game with 24/32 bit color to restore the game art back to its orginal quality.

Did any of these original artwork get saved? If so, is it possible to post some screenshots so that we can see the quality difference in the final game’s artwork?

zobraks - 10 February 2013 05:55 PM

I made 542 (yes, five-hundred-forty-two!) screenshots (must say DOSBox is great for taking screenshots)

Don’t forget to sent them to Jack!! Smile
(Calm down a bit…there are another 5 chapters to go…)

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

I backed up all the CCS assets to a bookshelf of cds before I left Legend. It broke my heart to leave them, but I had to. Sadly, I suspect they were thrown away when Legend was purchased and dismantled by Infogrammes/Activision. The greatest place where the quality suffered was the bar area, if I remember correctly.

Good news - I just checked - I do happen to have a posterboard of some some PR shots of the bar and chocolate story screens. (Thank you Josh for that present!) Not the original digital art, but I can take a photo of the board and post it when you get into the chocolate (Josie’s) story. The bar scene is missing the people - I think you will find the color transitions to be smoother and the scene to be warmer and richer..

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top