• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 4 February 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

As I was playing the brilliant Antichamber over the past few days, I was constantly reminded of another great game: Obsidian. Both games tend to shout “Your rules do not apply here” in your face at every turn, and to make you figure out what their rules are, through observation, experimentation and intuition, if you want to succeed.

Now I want to replay Obsidian. Except I know it’s a 16-bit game that won’t run on my machine. Meh

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Reminds me of the (amazing) movie Mr. Nobody.

I couldn’t find an actual still of the “water lifting” scene (and I’m too lazy to get my DVD to make one myself), but I found this artwork:

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Mr. Nobody… amazing? x(

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 04 February 2013 04:32 PM

Mr. Nobody… amazing? x(

Yes, amazing. I consider it one of the best movies of recent years.

I’ll admit that it’s not for everybody, though. My brother-in-law (with whom I went to see Mr. Nobody in theatre) loves it as much as I do, but the missus just says “uhm, it’s… weird” followed by an “I don’t get it”. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 181

Joined 2005-11-15

PM

It reminded me of Doctor Snuggles. I feel old. Smile

The episode was called “The Remarkable Fidgety River”, and I remember how surprised I was when I learned that it was co-written by Douglas Adams.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

One of my alltime favorite games. Kuru must have gone out of his way to find such an ugly screenshot that doesn’t do beautiful, surreal Obsidian justice. And why is everybody talking movies?

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Fien - 04 February 2013 07:53 PM

Kurufinwe must have gone out of his way to find such an ugly screenshot that doesn’t do beautiful, surreal Obsidian justice.

Hehe. Quite so.
I remember Obsidian as a beautiful-looking game and I didn’t recognise it when I saw this screenshot.

Fien - 04 February 2013 07:53 PM

And why is everybody talking movies?

Because your neighbour (meaning “a person living in a country bordering yours”) started doing so.
I guess it’s all right since he can’t help talking (about) movies.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

The usual cheap trick with a huge box made of glass suberged to the sea, just floating, looking like a hole in the water… Tongue

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

One of those “I know I’ll like it but haven’t played it yet” games. I’ve been always wondering what’s going on at this scene:

p.s. @Fien & @Zorba you should be talking in the playthrough thread Pan  Pan Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

diego - 05 February 2013 06:03 AM

p.s. @Fien & @Zorba you should be talking in the [url=http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1496/P90/]playthrough thread[/url

Fien won’t. Long story. Don’t ask.
Z man does participate (at least: I think he does) in quiet…

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, Diego’s screenshot is a lot more interesting than the first one. Suddenly the game looks more beautiful… Tongue

Total Posts: 4249

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Sefir - 05 February 2013 06:07 AM

Z man does participate (at least: I think he does) in quiet...

Sure. I’m most efficient (and deadliest) when I’m in quiet/silent. Like fart .

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Fien won’t. Long story. Don’t ask.

Not real long. I’ve said all there is to say about it in the relevant thread.

Z man does participate (at least: I think he does) in quiet…

Smile

I sure hope so. (Of course I’m reading the playthrough). Innocent

TimovieMan - 05 February 2013 06:49 AM

Well, Diego’s screenshot is a lot more interesting than the first one. Suddenly the game looks more beautiful… Tongue

Put Obsidian on your list! Put Obsidian on your list!

PS: Diego, that’s a screenshot of a word game. I know, it doesn’t look like one, but it is.

Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

zobraks - 05 February 2013 07:39 AM

Sure. I’m most efficient (and deadliest) when I’m in quiet/silent. Like fart

Your post was the last one I read before I left to see how Augustin’s Kickstarter project is doing. And over there they are talking about farting cats! Smile

Today is Flatulence Day. Let’s all have topinambour for dinner and compare notes tomorrow.
Sick Tip: Stay home the rest of the evening and don’t let unsuspecting visitors in the house!

Looking forward to:

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

zobraks - 05 February 2013 07:39 AM

Z man does participate (at least: I think he does) in quiet...

Sure. I’m most efficient (and deadliest) when I’m in quiet/silent. Like fart .

then you would be a better use as a gas tear bomb Cry

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kuru’s first screenshot reminds me of how I struggled with that puzzle and how satisfying it was to get it right.  The rings puzzle is a lovely one.

Fien - 05 February 2013 08:07 AM

Today is Flatulence Day.

Between my spouse and my dog, we celebrate it every day.

Carpe chocolate.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top