• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

JustAdventure.com!

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

As there was some discussion on this forum on adventuregamers vs justadventure, I just went to over the Justadventure.com, having not visited that site for years.

Being used to adventuregamers.com, it IS quite a different experience. Browsing the site I’m noticing a lot of problems with the site and it gives me a general amateurish feel overall.
I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but while browsing the following points occured to me:

1) General lay-out of the site. Even though they had a graphical rehaul some time ago, this site feels more amateurish in terms of how it lays out various functions and contents, especially if you compare it with adventuregamers.com. There is no integrated search box in the design, you actually have to go to a main navigation submenu to find it at all….in a place where you don’t expect it.

2) Atrocious lay-out of the articles: Images are pasted between text paragraphs as thumbnails and serve no purpose at all, while losing a lot of useful space. It really looks like a lay-out for the early days of the internet. Better integration of images and text blocks in the template would solve a lot!

3) The scores of the reviews are not on a 1-10 or 1-5 scale but by Alphabeth, which is very american, but very unclear for international visitors. Even worse, the score is simply included in the main text of the reviews and can be anywhere depending on the review…in some cases it’s simply missing. You can’t sort by review score or anything….

4) The scores of the games themselves: They seem to score games very differently than at adventuregamers.com. Critically acclaimed games like Walking Dead and Gemini Rue get mediocre scores and generally considered mediocre games (like QFG5) get a very good score.

This makes me think their definition of an adventure games is very different from here.
Is that true and is there any cause/history to this?
Are there games that they donot consider adventures compared to asventuregamers?

It would be interesting to learn of the differences between these two adventuregames sites.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The man who had ran the site had been struggling with illness for some time and couldn’t keep up with updates, maintenance… Karla (I think) and some other users took over trying to preserve the site. I applaud to them.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

This is indeed true, very sad indeed.

I assumed others would have taken over mgmt and control in a more official capacity, but I donot know to what extend this is currently the case.

However, the site claims to be the most popular site for the adventure-game genre (subjectively), then this ofcourse raises expectations….

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Randy Sluganski was adventure gaming’s Rush Limbaugh: an angry little man who made a business out of ranting at anything and anyone he deemed responsible for the end of the “good old days”. And his site reflected his “style”.

Their reviews, in particular, are a disgrace. 95% of them are just the reviewer spewing random thoughts without any attempt at going beyond “ooh I liked the game” or “blech, it sucked!”—without any attempt at explaining how the game works, play and feels so that readers can form their own opinions.

At least nobody takes JA seriously anymore, which is the huge progress for the health of adventure gaming as a genre.

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Randy died in November of last year.  He had sold the site many months before to someone who had a different take on how the site should be run.  Karla, a good friend of mine, works hard behind the scenes but has no say as to how the site is currently set up.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Why is this thread even here?

Site wars are so boring and pointless.

I started out at JA+ back in the days when it was a great site full of great people. For various reasons I don’t post there anymore, but what is the point of trying drag this site or that one through the mud. It’s verging on being untasteful bad mouthing a man who died earlier in the year.

Please delete this thread.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Well, Lucien21, thanks for the constructive feedback.

Site wars and negative comments concerning Randy weren’t the intention of this thread at all and if you actually read the OP, you would have known that.

I was merely triggered by the justadventure.com site by another thread and I hadn’t visited that site for years!

I just wanted to voice some of my own findings on a site that claims to be the #1 source for Adventure game genre, not being aware of what happened to Randy when I wrote the post.

I also wanted to get an understanding of the history of both adventure gaming sites, the differences in how they approach the genre and reviewing games in general.

But I’m sorry if while writing I have been harsher in my assessment than called for, especially considering the situation. I hereby stand corrected.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

yeah, I see nothing wrong with the OP. And I’m actually glad JA is still up. Even though I frequent AG much more often, having, for example, another game review can not hurt anyone.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

subbi - 23 January 2013 05:08 AM

Well, Lucien21, thanks for the constructive feedback.

Site wars and negative comments concerning Randy weren’t the intention of this thread at all and if you actually read the OP, you would have known that.

I was merely triggered by the justadventure.com site by another thread and I hadn’t visited that site for years!

I just wanted to voice some of my own findings on a site that claims to be the #1 source for Adventure game genre, not being aware of what happened to Randy when I wrote the post.

I also wanted to get an understanding of the history of both adventure gaming sites, the differences in how they approach the genre and reviewing games in general.

But I’m sorry if while writing I have been harsher in my assessment than called for, especially considering the situation. I hereby stand corrected.

Thanks for assuming I hadn’t read your post or that my comments were even in response to your original post.

Maybe you should have read the rest of the thead.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Kurufinwe - 22 January 2013 11:27 AM

Randy Sluganski was adventure gaming’s Rush Limbaugh: an angry little man who made a business out of ranting at anything and anyone he deemed responsible for the end of the “good old days”. And his site reflected his “style”.

You don’t have the faintest idea of what you’re talking about. Randy helped dozens of fledgling developers without ever expecting anything in return. He was anything but a “businessman”. Everything he did, he did it out of passion for the adventure genre. You can’t imagine how much anyone who develops or enjoys playing adventures owes him to this day.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I’m not going to pour more oil on the flames than I already have (despite how much I’m tempted to Naughty ). Just not worth it.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Agustín Cordes - 23 January 2013 04:21 PM
Kurufinwe - 22 January 2013 11:27 AM

You don’t have the faintest idea of what you’re talking about. Randy helped dozens of fledgling developers without ever expecting anything in return. He was anything but a “businessman”. Everything he did, he did it out of passion for the adventure genre. You can’t imagine how much anyone who develops or enjoys playing adventures owes him to this day.

Well said Agustin

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

And just like that the JA forums have vanished without warning.  Frown

For weeks now the forums were no longer accessible due to a certificate failure, now i get a message “FORUMS ARE CLOSED”.

I already knew the new owners didn’t care much about the old site, but this really is a sad end for the JA+ forums.

Thankfully we still have this site to talk about AG’S Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

There used to be archived forums. Are they gone too?

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2014-06-27

PM

colpet - 29 June 2017 08:17 AM

There used to be archived forums. Are they gone too?

http://justadventure.com/forums-phpbb/archive/justadventure.com/forums/index.html

This url still works, but the site is very slow unfortunately and only has archives until 2013

Total Posts: 285

Joined 2017-01-12

PM

markornikov - 29 June 2017 05:44 AM

And just like that the JA forums have vanished without warning.  Frown

For weeks now the forums were no longer accessible due to a certificate failure, now i get a message “FORUMS ARE CLOSED”.

I already knew the new owners didn’t care much about the old site, but this really is a sad end for the JA+ forums.

Thankfully we still have this site to talk about AG’S Thumbs Up

The “sad end” for JA+ came many, many years ago. Closing down the forum is just putting it out of its misery and should have been done some time ago.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top