• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Monday 21 January 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Machinarium! The robot band!

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Aaaahhhhhhhhhh….  Heart Eyes
I immediately noticed the best adventure band ever wasn’t in Chrissie’s quiz.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 5568

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Heart That was such a terrific scene!  I remember watching it several times through with a silly grin on my face.

Carpe chocolate.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Still stuck in Machinarium myself, just as you enter the outside world and can push a big box forth and back with the lady present and the dog on the other side, etc. I have no idea how to solve this area, but I’ll get back to it… someday.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

all the scenes from this game deserve to be printed out and put into exposition.

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I now I will get panned by this but I just don’t see why people place this and other games like it (including Neverhood)as an adventure. More like a Casual/platform hybrid to me.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

GreyFuss - 21 January 2013 04:11 PM

Casual/platform hybrid

Fien, you reading this?  Nerd

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I now I will get panned by this but I just don’t see why people place this and other games like it (including Neverhood)as an adventure. More like a Casual/platform hybrid to me.

Definitely not a platformer (THIS is what I think of platform games), and even though I agree with you it’s slightly on a casual side, it’s still not an easy game, and still an adventure because you’re solving puzzles to advance the story. I think it’s a good game (not outstanding, but pretty good), but the reason why I agree with you when you say “casual” is because of 2 things: First, you can move your character only to predefined spots, and secondly, puzzles in most cases are current screen-related. I’m not saying the game is bad because of it, but if someone asked me what could be improved in Machinarium 2 I’d mention those points.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

I didn’t mean to imply the games were bad, just don’t see adventure game when I tried them.

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Fien - 21 January 2013 12:03 PM

Aaaahhhhhhhhhh….  Heart Eyes
I immediately noticed the best adventure band ever wasn’t in Chrissie’s quiz.

I have a disc version of Machinarium on my to play pile, but before I saw your post Fien I thought - hey! that would have been a good screenshot for my quiz (oh well -  boohoo!)

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. (Literally! Asked for and got it last Christmas. Grin)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

One of my favourite adventure games (obvious really)!
And surely a PURE adventure game in my book.

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

More like a Casual/platform hybrid to me.

I see where you’re coming from… I always considered Angry Birds more of a casual/flight simulator hybrid.

Machinarium is as point and click adventure as they come. If the game was Limbo, then we could talk about platforming.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

let’s take this scene for example.

we have a classic puzzle here. three musicians with three damaged instruments for all of which you need to solve another puzzle (which is not on this screen). and for reward you get the piece for your next puzzle. sounds exactly like adventure to me. it may differ from the classic definition in some ways: has no speech, has mini games in it, you interact only within the area around your character. but platformer? come on.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

If someone calls Machinarium a platformer, he might call ALL 2d point’n click adventures (MI series, SQ series, Larry series, FT, KQ series, TWW, E&H, etc and generally half the games in adventure game history) that way as well!!

There is not a single piece of action element into the game!!! It is based entirely on riddle solving!!! How more proof is needed to be called a PURE adventure game?

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

TimovieMan - 21 January 2013 04:22 PM

Casual/platform hybrid

Fien, you reading this?  Nerd

Greyfuss is totally out of his depth, that’s all I can say. Read the definition of platforming.

A platform game (or platformer) is a video game which requires players to jump to and from suspended platforms or over obstacles (jumping puzzles). The player must control these jumps to avoid falling from platforms or missing necessary jumps. The most common unifying element to games in this video game genre is a jump button; other jump mechanics include swinging from extendable arms

Pray tell me, GF and Timovieman, where is the platforming taking place in Machinarium?

And the Neverhood a platform game too?? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!

thejobloshow - 21 January 2013 07:08 PM

I see where you’re coming from… I always considered Angry Birds more of a casual/flight simulator hybrid.

LOL!

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top