• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Sunday 20 January 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Going through my lists, I’ve realized that there’s this entire subgenre, comprised of first-person “scary” games, that has been very under-represented in the AGSD–probably because I personally have no interest in those games.

In an effort to rectify that (the lack of representation, not my lack of interest), today here’s a scene from Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I have no idea what’s going on there (and I’m not sure I want to).

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Clearly this was a pitfight between a giant spine and a large handmuppet. The spine seems to have pulled off the victory.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Only played the demo and it was nerve-racking. Invisible monsters… Have no idea what’s going on in there. Is that hand of man or a handmuppet of a man?

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I think I saw it early in the game. I didn’t gave it a second look since I was too scared and running for my life against a shadow monster. Still dont know what it is…

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Such a fantastic game. Recently reinstalled it and tried a couple of the mods.

I believe A Machine for Pigs is slated for release within the next month?

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I can’t go anywhere near this game. Never have I been more terrified playing a game before

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Bought the game. Managed to get out of the first room before I got scared and haven’t gotten back to it since. I think it was not a good idea to read the reviews first, I was freaked out before even starting the game.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

dave_minall - 22 January 2013 05:23 AM

I can’t go anywhere near this game.

I know what you mean. I’ll never play this game because I just know that I wouldn’t be able to handle it. Doom³ scared the crap out of me (making me quit halfway level 2 - 20 minutes into the game), but at least there I was armed… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

It’s funny, I got through Amnesia fine (albeit with a lot of scary moments) but I didn’t last 5 minutes on the Cat Lady demo. Nothing could convince me to play that game.

I think it’s because “psychological horror” that disturbs me more than spooky monsters in the dark. Another game was I Have No Mouth and Must Scream, which was terribly scary, psychologically.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 22 January 2013 08:45 PM

It’s funny, I got through Amnesia fine (albeit with a lot of scary moments) but I didn’t last 5 minutes on the Cat Lady demo. Nothing could convince me to play that game.

I think it’s because “psychological horror” that disturbs me more than spooky monsters in the dark. Another game was I Have No Mouth and Must Scream, which was terribly scary, psychologically.

I still haven’t finished Amnesia since I was too scared. On the other hand, I wouldn’t even call TCL a horror game, since it is can mostly affect your feelings up or down (but not horrified, mind you). It is also easier to appreciate the graphics for example, since there is no danger around (in most cases…). I am playing I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream right now. Finished the first story and didn’t even made me shrug once. Both three are great games though.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I tend to agree with Sefir. You can throw psychological horror at me all you want, and I won’t budge. But give me danger in the form of scary monsters and I won’t be able to handle it.

Funny thing, though, when merely watching someone play, then it’s perfectly alright. Same goes for movies: you can’t scare me to the point of looking away, ever. Just don’t put me in control… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

But… scary monsters aren’t real! Amnesia could never happen. The things in psychological horror could happen to you, which I guess is what makes it terrifying to me. Going insane is for me a far worse fate than being gobbled up by a 1000-eyed tentacled beast Tongue

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 23 January 2013 06:37 AM

But… scary monsters aren’t real! Amnesia could never happen. The things in psychological horror could happen to you, which I guess is what makes it terrifying to me. Going insane is for me a far worse fate than being gobbled up by a 1000-eyed tentacled beast Tongue

What makes you think that things like insanity, etc haven’t already happened to us and thus got used to it?  Wink

The 1000 - eyed tentacled beast isn’t scary!! As the monk in discworld said, it probably is my mother in law with 997 more eyes.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Heh, good point Smile

As long as I’m not seeing Lovecraftian monstrosities other people don’t see and hearing ghostly wails in the night then I’m happy.

edit: Your mother in law has 3 eyes?  Gasp

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Zifnab - 23 January 2013 07:05 AM

edit: Your mother in law has 3 eyes?  Gasp

That was Rincewind’s reaction in the Disc game too!  Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top