• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Replay Games wants “infringing” Kickstarter campaign taken down (update: Al Lowe’s okay with it)

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

jhetfield21 - 01 June 2012 10:00 AM

but seriously after this whole thing ,i get the feeling that Trowe is more likely to be the guy trying to use Al Lowe’s name and he’s annoyed somebody else tried to do the same.

Or more innocuously, he’s seen what happens when something Al kind of created is handled by other people.

Protip: This

And the project is overstating Lowe’s contribution. Trowe comes across as a little flaky, but I don’t doubt his sincerity in getting Al working again.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

maybe so but his actions are way too extreme to justify it as precautionary measures.and even if they were just that….since Al himself has given his blessing it’s his choice.and from what i understand it’s not like Al is a part of Replay.He’s merely an advisor to this project.kind of like freelance.Replay themselves have Al under advisory board.it shouldn’t even be his problem.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

thejobloshow - 01 June 2012 10:27 AM
jhetfield21 - 01 June 2012 10:00 AM

but seriously after this whole thing ,i get the feeling that Trowe is more likely to be the guy trying to use Al Lowe’s name and he’s annoyed somebody else tried to do the same.

Or more innocuously, he’s seen what happens when something Al kind of created is handled by other people.

Protip: This

I think that would only be a valid comparison if Al had designed Box Office Bust, which he did not.

Total Posts: 106

Joined 2010-10-27

PM

Box Office Bust was a Vivendi/Codemasters production, written by one of the most pointless TV comics ever. SS was originally designed by Al Lowe and is planned to be written by Steve Ince. I think the differences are obvious.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

I have no idea if Al Lowe is indeed seriously involved in the Replay Games project. A photo doesn’t mean that much. I remember the photo of Mike Woodroffe in front of a computer screen showing Simon 4 and the discussion in the German Press about his “involvement”.

I don’t know much about Trowe but after reading this thread I realize his name is in a way related to some well-known fallacies. Replay Games was one of the projects I backed as Al Lowe was involved, for the same reason I guess longtime gamers are backing Jane Jensen’s project and other projects like the one by Double Fine or the Tex Murphy project.

When I first learned about the Wisecrack project I thought “how strange” (like other potential backers must have thought). For the “Kickstarter fatigue” thread in the old forum pointed out already a serious problem, so it wasn’t wise to start another project that soon again (and summer approaching). Even the funding for Jensen’s project seemed to get in trouble for some time, but fortunately that went well,  though with a less high amount than might have been expected.
The second thought was of course how strange that Lowe is working on two Kickstarter projects, for that would be a bit unwise as well. Reading the comments at the Wisecrack project, it became clear very quickly that the wording about Al Lowe’s involvement was - and still is - a bit “ambiguous.” For myself those facts were enough not to back the project - though I regretted it, for a kind and proven designer was involved who obviously had nothing to do with these maneuvers.

Because of this it is likely that the project will not be funded. I guess the harm (“immense damage”) was already done before the announcement about suing was made.

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

OK, I got so fed up with all the dirt this KS campaign received undeservedly, I became a backer.
I’m a fan of Steve Ince, and hope this project gets funded.
I like the newly updated KS page, which states the facts as they are, no confusion.

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

lol, they announced wizarbox is developing it.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

One can never doubt the integrity of Steve Ince….after an “attack” by Trowe the guy kept his composure and in the end he even wished them good luck with the LSL remake.(well for Al Lowe and the fans because they deserve it…not so much Trowe but still it was sth you don’t expect to hear from a guy you tried to diss in public.)

This is one of the reasons I have so much respect for the guy.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Who the hell is Replaygames? Who are it’s full time employees?

Al Lowe and Josh Mandal appear to be hired for specific work and are on the advisory board…which usually means external advisors.

The Larry game will be developed by Adventuremob, an external developer company!
Assuming that much of the design work will be done by Lowe and Mandel, I’m starting to question who Replaygames really is and what they do….

Is it just Trowe himself?

Did he just setup the kickstarter campaign and acquire funds?

Sound much more like a pesky publisher to me :-)

I’m soooo happy I did not contribute to this campaign.

Total Posts: 71

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

I just backed the project…

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2007-06-06

PM

I think I’ll pick up Beyond Good and Evil instead

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/beyond_good_and_evil

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Did a little detective work and found something that could be interesting. Not going to give an opinion, just wanna point out some things:

Here is a guy who left some stupid comments on Kickstarter, goes by the username Gamespygeek:
http://www.kickstarter.com/profile/2143327345

Searching for the name Gamespygeek on google shows up a link on myspace:
http://www.myspace.com/gamespygeek

If you look at the profile pic you can see it looks awfully familiar to Paul Trowe.

Is Paul Trowe the same guy leaving stupid comments on kickstarter? You be the judge.

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2005-12-09

PM

I doubt it. Well… Christ, I hope not.

Whoever he is, he’s not doing SpaceVenture any favors by trolling with their image as an avatar.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2012-05-20

PM

Found another little something. The name on the myspace page is Jiminy Drambuie. I found this guy on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/jiminy.drambuie

In his friends list you will find Paul Trowe.

I don’t like where this is going.

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

if you check the activity before he started trolling SS you’ll see a couple of comments on the SpaceVenture kickstarter and he trolls that one too.

though a search in google showed that the myspace page is of one Jiminy Drambuie who exists in Austin TX where Paul Trowe is located along with both of his companies but the addresses don’t match and there is a fb page of JD that says Austin TX but his picture is different.unless Paul wanted to make a fake character and created a fake fb myspace and white pages record this guy exists and is a supporter…who knows maybe this guy works for Trowe for all that we know

in the end though he did fund SpaceVenture..supposedly he had lowered his pledge due to technical screw ups but he changed his mind after some update

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top