• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

apignarbGabriel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Gabriel Knight 2 - The Beast Within Locations Tour

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

Hi all,

I used to have a topic posted on here quite some time ago - but it appears to be auto-archived and I cannot alter it. 

I’m a big fan of the Gabriel Knight series and did a series of videos visiting the real life locations featured in the Sierra FMV game the Beast Within (A Gabriel Knight Mystery).  I visited Germany in 2008 and also in 2009. I wanted to see what game locations I could find and how similar they are in ‘real life’. I took my camera along and captured some of the similarities and differences. I also had a bit of fun at Gabriel and Grace’s expense using some of the more random and funny quotes from the game throughout.

I thought I’d post the links here for anyone who might be familiar with or a fan of the game. I’ve got another series of tour videos coming soon for the third game - Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned. 

I had problems with my original youtube account - so below are the updated links to the entire GK2 Beast Within tour videos, in chronological order :

PART 1 (Original Tours 1-5 filmed in 2008)

Visits to the Hellabraun Zoo in Thalkirchen (Munich), as well as the Marienplatz, Dinastrausse and the Marienplatz 21 (Ubergrau’s Office) along with the Weiswurst shop

PART 2 (Original Tours 6-8 filmed in 2008)

Visits to the Ludwig Museum in Herrenchiemsee, Neuschwanstein Castle in Fuessen and the Starnberger Sea (Berg).

PART 3 - Introduction/Schloss Ritter Castle

The second Gabriel Knight Beast Within tour begins with a look at Schloss Ritter in Rittersberg. Rittersberg doesn’t exist in reality and this is actually Burg Rabenstein located in Bayreuth, Germany. The game makes everything look so close together when a lot of these places are quite some distance from eachother.

PART 4 - Don’t Mess with Grace Nakimura

A random interlude as Grace phones up and throws a ridiculous tantrum for no reason.

PART 5 - Inside the Ritter Castle

A look inside Schloss Ritter Castle (actually Burg Rabenstein in Bayreuth, Germany). As you can see its nothing like in the game, but still quite stunning.

PART 6 - Rittersberg Square

A visit to Rittersberg square. Actually Rittersberg doesn’t exist and this is a nice walled town called Rothenburg. This is the location of the town hall, gastof and post office that Grace visits during the game.

PART 7 - Rittersberg Post Office

A visit to the Post office in Rittersberg. Gelda at the post office gives Grace some mail and speaks in German. This exchange actually makes no sense if you understand the language - but is ridiculous enough that hopefully you’ll forgive us.

PART 8 - Grace takes a Trip

Grace takes a trip but forgets that she doesn’t have a car. Brummmmmmm!

PART 9 - The Richard Wagner Museum

A visit to the Richard Wagner Museum in Bayreuth, Germany. Very much the same as it appears in the game.

PART 10 - Gerde’s Revenge - Warning some language may offend!

Grace was totally rude to Gerde for about 3/4 of the game so I thought it would be only fitting that Gerde got her revenge. Re-cut vision from the game. Andrea Martin (the actress who played Gerde) viewed this video and approved. Even she felt Grace deserved to get hers.

PART 11 - A Day in the Life of Rittersberg

A day in the life of the town of Rothenburg. This was Easter Sunday in 2009 and it had quite a nice atmosphere.

PART 12 - Cuckoo Clocks

A visit to the Marienplatz in search of the Cuckoo Clocks.

PART 13 - St Georg’s Church

Not really St Georg’s…but its definitely has some similarities.

PART 14 - The Marienplatz Revisited

Marienplatz and Dinastrausse re-visited on a sunny day. Includes a visit to Ubergrau’s office, the Weisswurst stand and the post office.

PART 15 - Ubergrau’s Office

Listening in at the door of Ubergrau’s Office and finding a curious poster outside. “Ja!”

PART 16 - Rittersberg Dungeon

The Rittersberg Mayor (straight out of Land of the Giants given his out of proportion-ness) allows Grace into the dungeon where she shares a tender moment with Gabriel as he lays there comatose.

PART 17 - Rittersberg Gastof Goldener

No Gasthof Goldener Lowe but plenty of other Gasthofs to choose from.

PART 18 – Gabriel and Ubergrau Awkward Conversation - Warning some language may offend

Gabriel wants answers but the only thing Ubergrau seems interested in is flirting with him and laughing like the Joker.

PART 19 - Journey to Neuschwanstein

PART 20 - Obtaining Ludwig’s scrolls of Wagner’s lost opera

The quest to find Ludwig II’s lost opera - following in the footsteps of Grace Nakimura.

PART 21 - Abridged Ending

PART 22 - Finale to the Locations Tour (Overlooking Neuschwanstein)

Finishing in the footsteps of Gabriel and Grace.

Enjoy
Smile

Image Attachments

banner222.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Nice! Thanks for sharing the effort Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I remember these. Thanks! Great tour! I hope one day I can visit these iconic locations as well.

Total Posts: 406

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

Great! I visited Neuschwanstein Castle and Marienplatz a couple of years ago, and tried to spot parts of the game.

The real problem with reality is the lack of background music.

Knightette of the Order of the Caption

Music is what feelings sound like…

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Great stuff! (Cuckoo Clocks is my fav Grin) Gives me more incentive to finally replay the game, especially because I’ve recently found out there’re neat patches to remove the interlaced video and add subtitles. Yum

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 47

Joined 2006-06-01

PM

I love Gerdes revenge.
It was about time!

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

Thanks a lot.  Am hoping to reconnect with people who enjoyed these videos in the past so don’t hesitate to subscribe or message me on youtube.

Total Posts: 1078

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I really like to see a new GK ag get kickstarted finally, these old versions showing their age terribly.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I’m getting a stronger and stronger impression that that’s exactly what most of her fans wants. Are there some legal rights issues, or is it just her wanting to move on?

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

seagul - 15 January 2013 10:25 AM

I love Gerdes revenge.
It was about time!

Definitely was.  You can’t be that erratic and not expect to be punished for it…  Smile

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

Dag - 14 January 2013 11:19 AM

Nice! Thanks for sharing the effort Smile

Thank you. 

inm8#2 - 14 January 2013 02:10 PM

I remember these. Thanks! Great tour! I hope one day I can visit these iconic locations as well.

Do it!  There is some really stunning scenery in Bavaria and all those little towns are so fun to walk around and get immersed in.

skeeter_93 - 15 January 2013 05:06 AM

Great! I visited Neuschwanstein Castle and Marienplatz a couple of years ago, and tried to spot parts of the game.

Its cool how some things haven’t changed a great deal since the game.  It gets harder as the years go by and things close or get rebuilt or get remodelled beyond previous recognition.

diego - 15 January 2013 08:52 AM

Great stuff! (Cuckoo Clocks is my fav Grin) Gives me more incentive to finally replay the game, especially because I’ve recently found out there’re neat patches to remove the interlaced video and add subtitles. Yum

Yeah those patches definitely come in handy.  There are lots of longplays on youtube which makes it easier than having to sit and reply the whole thing again.  I’ve found them to be very helpful with gathering quotes or whatever without having to write them down as you play the game.

Dag - 17 January 2013 11:06 AM

I’m getting a stronger and stronger impression that that’s exactly what most of her fans wants. Are there some legal rights issues, or is it just her wanting to move on?

Maybe a bit of both.  I think the rights thing is the main issue…but with all these kickstarter projects perhaps it could lead to something happening down the line. 

Have just begun the Gabriel Knight 3 (Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned) Location tour here :

Part 1 - Promo/Intro

Part 2 - Grace at Sidney

Part 3 - Grisly Discovery at the Devil’s Armchair

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2012-12-31

PM

Great post that I have seen on this forum..
I’ll definitely be there after read this post and watch the videos, Awesome place to go.. I am making plan to go there. Hope you will guide me, if I need anything from you while I go there.

Joined 2009-05-25

PM

alexemil5 - 28 January 2013 05:48 AM

Great post that I have seen on this forum..
I’ll definitely be there after read this post and watch the videos, Awesome place to go.. I am making plan to go there. Hope you will guide me, if I need anything from you while I go there.

Thanks a lot.  Sure let me know if you need guidance.  I often get people messaging me on youtube asking how to find such and such place and I help as best I can.  Everything is accessible on the trains in Bavaria…you just have to plan well.

I encourage anyone to visit some of these places.  So much beautiful scenery in Bavaria.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top