• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiediego

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

anything to recommend for a beginner?

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

hi I have just started playing this genre and I played CSI, agatha christie and sam and max series. I’m looking for games that are not too difficult, (I confess I used walkthrough even while playing sam and max season 1) not with supernatural, horror or medieval themes (murder or any kind of detective game would be better)- and indeed without hidden object or pixel hunting which I can’t stand. I played jack orlando but it was too item-oriented and had nonsense dead ends. I nowadays play runaway a road adventure but it sometimes requires kind of a pixel hunting and becomes frustrating. I’d appreciate if you could recommend me something, preferably available to download, as this games are mostly unreachable in my country.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I think Lost Horizon would be a good start. There is an item cheat that you can press and see everything that you need to use so there is no hidden objects or pixel hunting. Deponia is a good game and Vampyre Story are some that come to mind.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I was going to suggest Lost Horizon as well. It has a hotspot revealer to avoid pixel hunting, and it’s not very hard.
The plot has some supernatural element to it, but generally it feels very much like Indiana Jones.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

thanks a lot but I guess my computer would be too old for these games with a ram of 900 mb and a 2 ghz processor Frown

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

That’s the great thing about adventure games: you don’t need a monster PC for most of them (L.A. Noire is one of the rare exceptions).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

I’d love to play back to the future by telltale but my computer is not enough for it, too. games of 2000s seem like the best choice for me.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

The first two Broken Sword games are classic mystery/comedy games. I’d recommend playing those - and they are both from the mid 90’s, so your computer should have no problem running them.

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

rustyiron - 13 January 2013 12:29 PM

thanks a lot but I guess my computer would be too old for these games with a ram of 900 mb and a 2 ghz processor Frown

Not sure about the ram but I also have a 2 ghz processor and Lost Horizon runs perfectly on my Laptop. And it’s one of the most fun games I’ve ever played so go play it! Also if you liked Lost Horizon you should definitely play Secret Files 1 and 2 as well, it’s by the same developers and just as good. (but don’t play SF3, it’s crap imo) And this has been mentioned but the Broken Sword games are absolutely brilliant as well. They’re what got me into the genre. 1 and 2 are classics indeed but BS3 is also fantastic. Just don’t play BS4.

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Emerald City Confidential would probably be a good call for you.  It doesn’t require much out of your computer, has a good story, good art, and the puzzles are easy.

Joined 2013-01-13

PM

thanks a lot guys, to be honest I thought broken sword was a gabriel knight kind, but I turned out to be quite wrong, I am downlading emerald city, too. I always loved wizard of oz story. speaking of fun, what about monkey island series, are they too difficult, for I wouldn’t wanna ruin them playing with a walkthrough.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

The Monkey Island games are fantastic! In my opinion simply the best adventure game series ever made. The puzzles vary in difficulty, from very easy to challenging, but it’s one of those types of games where exploring every possible interaction is fun, because it rewards you with its fantastic, unique humour. There are loads of hints provided in the dialogues and descriptions in the game, if you pay attention, you shouldn’t need a walkthrough for the most part.

If you’re curious about the Monkey Island series, dont hesitate! They’re a safe buy. There aren’t too many adventures that matches their quality. The first three games are the best, in my opinion. You should probably get the special editions of the first two games, since they have full voice-acting, and you can manually switch between the retro and the updated hd graphics.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

concerning monkey island: maybe you should begin with the third part: Curse of Monkey Island. I think it’s more user friendly for a beginner, has the nicest graphics of all the series, and the story isn’t connected to the previous two games so it won’t spoil your fun. It’ll even enhance your desire to play the previous ones and make you enjoy them in a better way. At least that’s what happened to me Smile Curse of monkey island is not the easiest adventure, but all the puzzles are completely logical so I’d definitely recommend it for a beginner. It has an “easy” option with fewer puzzles so you can go with that too, but I’m warning you’ll be missing some fun with it Smile

I’ll also recommend you Gemini Rue if you don’t mind pixel graphics and are in the mood for a neo-noir dark thriller. It’s not long, it’s not difficult at all and has one of the best atmospheres I’ve experienced in a game recently. If you feel like something modern with more “light” setting you may try machinarium If you are a fan of hand-drawn stuff you’ll love it.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Play Monkey Island in order! They are all about the same difficulty. And get the originals not the special editions. The updated graphics aren’t as good and the voice acting doesn’t really fit Guybrush in the first two games.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Probably going to get shot down for this, but I don’t rate the monkey island games. Logic in this genre has to be solid and the monkey island games can be a bit weak for that. Plus, there really is a lot of exploring in that game. too much I feel… I’d go with Broken Sword 1. The puzzles are a lot more thoughtout and the characters and story is just brilliant.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I am surprised that Discworld Noir wasn’t mentioned. Fantastic noir/detective/humorous game, logical riddles of varied difficulty (unlike the notorious first Discworld game) and one of the best games of the genre. Especially if you like Terry Pratchet.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Sefir - 15 January 2013 06:38 AM

I am surprised that Discworld Noir wasn’t mentioned. Fantastic noir/detective/humorous game, logical riddles of varied difficulty (unlike the notorious first Discworld game) and one of the best games of the genre. Especially if you like Terry Pratchet.

Great game! Completely forgot about that one for some reason. They really captured the Noir feel and managed to put it in Discworld too. Shame they couldn’t do more games in that setting.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top