• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Wednesday 9 January 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

And today, a Monkey Island screenshot. For no particular reason. (As if you needed a reason for posting MI stuff on an adventure forum!)

(Note that I tactfully avoided posting a scene where SE-Guybrush and his crazy hair were visible.)

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

The reason is that The Cave is almost upon us!

And the SE is ugly…

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

While the art in the SE was by no means fantastic, it was still alright. At least it was fun to see how the original game looked with more current graphics. I liked the sequels graphical style a whole lot more, though.

All in all I had hoped they would have made both SE in the style of Curse of MI, but I see how that could have been hard, as that would have required the scenes to be completely rebuilt to fit that style, and so you wouldn’t have been able to switch back and forth from the original pixel art to the current graphics, which was a fun little feature.

Best thing about the SE is that we finally get voices in the two old games.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m glad they were made (in those 5 seconds Lucasarts remembered it had some great games), at least it introduced some new people to Monkey Island but the art style/animation of the first one was not… very good.

And now that Disney owns them (at least I think they do) I don’t think we’ll be hearing from these adventures soon…

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Wilco: Disney has no interest in how Lucasarts runs in general. That’s still the studio head that makes those decisions, and since the one with adventure interest has since left again (he was only there as boss like 2 years or so) we shouldn’t get our hopes up of Lucasart re-releasing their backcatalog or making new, great titles.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I would be happy if they at least re-released the rest of the adventure catalogue on a digital shop.

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

For all that we know, it might be that LucasArts wanted to use the Monkey Island momentum with Tales of Monkey Island also being released, and they didn’t plan on re-releasing other titles. I agree that the whole Disney deal doesn’t sound any more promising, though.

On a slightly related note, here’s a great piece of art I’ve found today from the cancelled MI movie.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Cancelled MI movie….. I thought they have made four of them.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

diego - 09 January 2013 05:17 PM

On a slightly related note, here’s a great piece of art I’ve found today from the cancelled MI movie.

Very nice! Was it going to be a cartoon or live action?

Total Posts: 6584

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Animated movie, you can find more art here and here.

And like Lucien said, PoTC is more than inspired by MI.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride, was an inspiration for Monkey Island, so I’d say it’s well within their rights to copy the game that copied their ride Smile

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 09 January 2013 08:12 PM

Pirates of the Caribbean, the ride, was an inspiration for Monkey Island, so I’d say it’s well within their rights to copy the game that copied their ride Smile

However, the ride has absolutly no storyline to it and the fact that the screenwriter who wrote the cancelled MI movie is also the same guy that wrote the PoTC movie would suggest that he just retooled his previous script slightly when it came to making the PoTC.

There are just too many similarities that can’t be put down to the Disney ride.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lucien21 - 10 January 2013 03:42 AM

However, the ride has absolutly no storyline to it and the fact that the screenwriter who wrote the cancelled MI movie is also the same guy that wrote the PoTC movie would suggest that he just retooled his previous script slightly when it came to making the PoTC.

Mind blown. I’ve noticed the similarities but did not know Ted Elliot wrote the Monkey Island script. Although Pirates would have been more fun with Guybrush instead of Orlando Bloom.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Kasper F. Nielsen - 09 January 2013 01:37 PM

While the art in the SE was by no means fantastic, it was still alright. At least it was fun to see how the original game looked with more current graphics. I liked the sequels graphical style a whole lot more, though.

All in all I had hoped they would have made both SE in the style of Curse of MI, but I see how that could have been hard, as that would have required the scenes to be completely rebuilt to fit that style, and so you wouldn’t have been able to switch back and forth from the original pixel art to the current graphics, which was a fun little feature.

Best thing about the SE is that we finally get voices in the two old games.

All that’s exactly what I was going to say Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

Lucien21 - 10 January 2013 03:42 AM

That’s true and I’m not stating otherwise - I just don’t see it as some sort of negative on the movies part. So what that they’ve pulled some inspiration from the Monkey Island series?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

When I went to watch the first Pirates of the Caribbean film in cinema, I went in fully expecting Monkey Island: The Movie. Me and my best friend were singing “A Pirate I Was Meant to Be” up until the movie started (at which point we’re usually dead silent - you’ll never see/hear us spoil someone else’s movie). Tongue

And we went completely nuts when Geoffrey Rush actually said “ARRRRrrrrr!”. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top