• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

RPG website as good as Adventuregamers

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-09-28

PM

Hi all,

So I’m a passionate adventure gamer (of the traditional point-and-click type) but, to my surprise, I’ve had a growing interest in RPGs in the last 2-3 years. I haven’t played many games but I did complete some hardcore Japanese classics like Final Fantasy I and II (FC Japanese version), Megami Tensei (FC), Lagrange Point (FC) and some more accessible and easygoing titles like Chrono Trigger (SNES), Rhapsody (DS), Ys (FC). I’m recently starting to explore the PC scene with Planescape Torment (PC) and I’m definitely enjoying it.

I’ve been looking for a good RPG-focused website a la Adventuregamers, but didn’t have any success. What I’m specifically looking for is some website covering everything about RPGs, so not just Japanese stuff or PC stuff only. I’d like to have a lot of reviews, retrospectives, features, interviews, news and so on. I’m asking here because Adventuregamers users know how Adventuregamers looks and feels Wink

I’d appreciate any suggestion! Thanks!

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

Oh man, a while ago I was jonesing for a similar site, though I didn’t care much for articles, but was looking more for a forum about CRPGs. Wanted to talk somewhere about Skyrim in a sensible fashion. And RPG Codex is anything but sensible…in the end I settled for the German World of Players forum, but I doubt this will be of much help to you.
Somehow RPG communities rarely seem to be as welcoming as adventure game communities. Maybe it has something to do with their size, I dunno.

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2004-02-16

PM

I used to go to Just-RPG but that hasn’t been updated in over a year. Haven’t found a suitable alternative yet.  Cry

Madre de Dios, es el Pollo Diablo!

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

I don’t think you’ll find a good catch-all site. These are my favorites, for different reasons:

RPGWatch
- Dedicated to western style RPGs, especially PC games
- Good news section
- Only few reviews and features
- Good and friendly forum

RPG Codex
- Dedicated to western style RPGs, especially PC games
- Good news section
- A fair amount of good features and reviews
- I’m only lurking on the forum, but it’s very active and a good source for inspiration. It has a pretty bad reputation though, and it’s not hard to see why - some people over there clearly enjoy trashing other people. I think part of it is a RPG Codex related “we are mean for fun” meme kind of thing, though. Actually, if I remember correctly their articles are sometimes a bit harsh too, but if you just keep in mind that some of it is probably not ment to be taken seriously, it doesn’t destract, and can even be funny.

RPGFan
- Good news source for both WRPGs and JRPGs
- A bit strange review policy - 70-79% is mediocre on their scale
- Forum seems decent, haven’t used it a lot

Indie RPGs
- Good news source for stuff related to indie RPGs

EDIT: Just remembered that RPGFan also covers WRPGs.

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2009-09-28

PM

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! Glad to hear I was not the only one. I guess the trashing attitude’s due to most people thinking RPGs are all about stats, while in my opinion they’re all about adventure (speaking from my limited experience).

I will bookmark all your suggestions and start reading through them. Glad to see RPGFan covers some hybrids as well (noticed a Jisei/Kansei review there, which is an indie visual novel more than a RPG), and has monthly features which I tend to enjoy.

The only website that I found myself is RPGClassics, I don’t know how much it is updated but it has a bunch of very well done (with screenshots and all) walkthroughs even for more obscure titles, see for instance this page on Radia Senki (English-patched) for the FC.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2003-11-21

PM

I used to lurk around GameBanshee once but kind of lost touch lately. Its news section is solid but some of the more active users there are what you’d call “RPG purists”, which basically means expecting a fair conversation regarding Bioware’s latest efforts, for example, is pretty much doomed. The guy who runs the site is alright, though.

No good deed goes unpunished

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-12-19

PM

Another nice aspect regarding RPGFan:  They cover adventure games as well as RPGs.  You won’t see interviews and other special features there when it comes to adventures, but you will find previews and reviews.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → General → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top