• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoSpeedBo

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Scene of the Day — Thursday 3 January 2013

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

What, we asked Dr Tolkien, makes you tick? Dr T., who teaches at Oxford when he isn’t writing novels, has this brisk reply: “I don’t tick. I am not a machine. (If I did tick, I should have no views on it, and you had better ask the winder.)”

– Harvey Breit, The New York Times Book Review (5 June 1955)

As everyone knows (or should know), today is J.R.R. Tolkien’s birthday (Cheers, Professor), so it’s time for another round of “pick a random Tolkien quote and try to connect it to an adventure game scene in the most far-fetched way possible”. (I love that quote. Grumpy Tolkien is awesome.)

Actually, the connection to that scene from Syberia 2 is not that far-fetched: What does make Oscar tick? Does he have some kind of personal identity, or is he just following what his “winder” (i.e. Hans, literally) planned for him? And if it’s the former, does that make that scene more than a bit disturbing?

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

SPOILERS!

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Not really. It’s just a picture of Oscar lying down, and Kate looking at him. Maybe he’s taking a nap. Maybe she’s going to perform an upgrade on him. Maybe he’s broken and she has to fix him. Maybe someone stole an essential piece that she’ll need to retrieve. Maybe he’s dead for good. Who knows? It’s only a spoiler if you already know what’s going on in the scene.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

I was just kidding. Wink

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Oscar is a big reason why Kate is a good protagonist. Much about her is revealed to us through him. For Kate he represents one world in conflict with the other one we hear over the phone (another machine), which she’s becoming more and more distanced from. So I think he works better as “just a machine” than as something thought of as human, even though he’s more loveable than her boss and relatives back home.

And as much as I love Tolkien, I think he’s wrong. Why can’t machines have views?

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Oscar had consciousness and self-awareness, which by me, is the definition of “soul”. Thus his unique view of the world. But Oscar was not what Tolkien had in mind when he spoke about machines. It was ‘55 after all…

Am I the only person that I truly hated Hans from the depths of my heart for this scene?
I want him dead in Syberia 3.  Naughty

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Sigh… have it your way, Kuru

Oscar’s grand death scene left me cold. Strange, cause when Zoe removed Wonker’s brain in Dreamfall I felt like she’d sort of killed him and I made sure she put it back later.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

SPOILERS!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

GAAAAAAH!!!!

I read that this afternoon and didn’t fully realize it was a spoiler until now!!! Pan

@ Fien: putting that back in Dreamfall triggers an extra scene near the end where Wonkers waits by the bed for Zoe to wake up. Not restoring it makes you miss one of the best scenes of the game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

I was just kidding. Wink

(Is there some echo in this thread?)

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 04 January 2013 01:35 PM

I was just kidding. Wink

Well… now you’re making me doubt myself… Tongue

Which is good! Thumbs Up

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

TimovieMan - 04 January 2013 01:07 PM

GAAAAAAH!!!!

I read that this afternoon and didn’t fully realize it was a spoiler until now!!! Pan

@ Fien: putting that back in Dreamfall triggers an extra scene near the end where Wonkers waits by the bed for Zoe to wake up. Not restoring it makes you miss one of the best scenes of the game…

Woah, I didn’t know this scene could be missed. Not an option for me anyway since it was so horrible to take it in the first place. I still (almost) cry everytime I remember the scene.

I really loved Oscar too and have very mixed feelings towards Hans.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top