• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Man, I haven’t deleted a game faster than Deponia.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

It’s not totally the game’s fault per se but I’m too old for its juvenile style. It reminded me of the annoying and loud cartoons my little nephews watch.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

though i finished the 2 parts but i know that ,that Rufus is the most annoying character i ever played , even more terrible than Simon

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

I have to admit that I never picked up the Deponia games because of this reason. I might miss out out something, but I am just going with my own gut feel on this one.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

Nah, it ain’t bad. I’ve avoided all Daedelic games after playing The Whispered World and finding it an incredibly dull experience. It really did amaze me how a game as pretty as that could be so uninteresting, but it really did put me off.

But Deponia’s a much better effort. It’s actually quite amusing in parts. And I got used to Rufus after a while. The story is quite good, actually; and the ending (although, not really an ending) feels appropriate. 

Far better than The Whispered World, anyway. God, that game makes me shudder just thinking about it.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

A.A - 01 January 2013 07:26 PM

Nah, it ain’t bad. I’ve avoided all Daedelic games after playing The Whispered World

I actually loved that game, so much. It wasn’t so much the characters, those were at best bizarre; it was the whole atmosphere that was mystifying. It wasn’t the ending either, which was freakish, but the whole setting for at least 80% of the game was very mesmerizing. AA I would play again.

Total Posts: 2978

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

While the game itself isn’t that bad, its main character is its weakest point. I haven’t seen such an @#*! since….Simon 2 (Rufus is much worse) and he is impossible to get used to. Especially in the 2nd game. For god’s shake, he turned baby dolphins to tuna cans just for spotting an easy-identifiable-to-anyone-but-Rufus cat door, he made Goal get struck by lightning so that he will climb safely to high ground…not to mention the autodestruction sequence in which he was purely driven by his own selfish reasons/lust!! While at the first game he might seem more goofy (a la Guybrush), motivated by love, with many chances for redemption, in CoD we realise that’s not the case at all. He is the reason why I will not buy the 3rd part.
IMO there is no comparison between Deponia and the more adult The Whispered World which I consider an all time classic masterpiece (it is also Daedelic’s most popular game so far. There was a thorought discussion in an older thread about Daedelic’s games http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/622/P15/#7565)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I don’t mind the ‘juvenile’ style, after all Monkey Island uses it (I like some cartoons too). I enjoyed Deponia and the sequel but I can see what you mean. Later on in both games I skipped most of Rufus’ lines after reading them quickly because they weren’t that witty and Rufus is a rather shallow character.

Sefir - 03 January 2013 04:10 AM

While at the first game he might seem more goofy (a la Guybrush), motivated by love, with many chances for redemption, in CoD we realise that’s not the case at all. He is the reason why I will not buy the 3rd part.

Yes. I will buy the 3rd game just to see how it ends, but I too feel they missed a huge chance in Chaos on Deponia to add some depth to Rufus and show he’s not just a self-centered egotistical loser.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

That worst that can from Rufus
watch from 16:30 The conversation with the Hoppo Goon

see for yourself
(ain’t that Funny) Damn if it is

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2009-04-26

PM

I really liked the art style but yes, I too deleted it in about 15mins of playing. I just found the puzzles totally illogical and Rufus is a moron—not someone I’d like to spend an entire game with.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Wow. I loved Rufus. Oh well. I guess I’m juvenile. Definitely not because I don’t judge things because of unusual needs I might have. *rolls eyes*

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I’ll take any day a smarmy and irreverent character like Rufus over an inane and shallow one like Kate Walker.

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Agustín Cordes - 04 January 2013 03:24 PM

I’ll take any day a smarmy and irreverent character like Rufus over an inane and shallow one like Kate Walker.

Tell us how you really feel.  Wink

I plan to play Deponia soon, so hopefully I’ll like Rufus and the game.

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I liked Rufus too!  Just adding my 2 cents.

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

inm8#2 - 04 January 2013 04:37 PM
Agustín Cordes - 04 January 2013 03:24 PM

Tell us how you really feel.  Wink

Always Tongue

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

I enjoyed Deponia’s weird humour, and Rufus’ obnoxiousness was one of the most funny things about it. Even more so in the second game.

I remember all the hate back when Simon 2 came out, a lot of people were outraged about Simon’s rudeness, yet his attitude was pretty similar to that of Blackadder (season 3-4) which I found to be (and still do) hilarious.

It seems to me that some people are missing the fact that Rufus is supposed to be a self-centered, egotistical moron. Saying that Deponia sucks because Rufus is a moron, is to me like saying that Monkey Island sucks because Guybrush is a gullible, wannabe pirate.

Maybe the fact that I have actually known a few people in my life, who were pretty much exactly like Rufus, increases my ability to laugh at it, because I’m constantly reminded of ridiculous episodes/people of the past. However, if you’re obsessed about identifying with the protagonist, then surely, Deponia is never gonna be a game for you (unless you are one of the most unsympathetic persons you’ve met Tongue ).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2003-09-21

PM

I really liked Rufus too in a this-guy-is-a-jerk kind of way. Gave Deponia an interesting perspective having a character that you don’t always agree with and weren’t always on the same page with. For what it’s worth, I agree with Agustin about Syberia too. Tongue (Except I don’t think Kate Walker was necessarily bad, just the lack of any talking or hot spots resulted in not a whole lot of personality being revealed.)

Right or wrong, weak or strong.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top