• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445KeybordzLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Recommend spiritual/occult/conspiracy/etc. adventure games

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2012-12-27

PM

I really love games like The Longest Journey (+sequel), Gray Matter, To The Moon and 999 (NDS). I recently also finished Eternal Journey: New Atlantis and Lost Horizon and they were ok too.
I’m drawn to the new age/spiritualism and conspiracy theory/occultism/mysticism related themes in them as well as the whole metaphysical searching for the essence of the universe and humanity, if you know what I mean. Basically games where you uncover a bigger truth outside of the bubble where you start the game. It’s interesting to see how game developers interpret these themes and I think that especially the games I wrote in the first sentence are in their own ways touching “the truth” as I personally know it.
Please recommend some similar titles. Preferably ones that ultimately concentrate more in the positive than misanthropy and/or violence/gore, though they are not necessarily a no no either. If the story is bigger than life I don’t care if the game isn’t that great technically.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sanitarium
Moment of Silence
Overclocked
Gemini Rue

Those 4 (i guess) are on top on that Line (if you haven’t tried them already)

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I dont know about “big life” themes, but the whole Blackwell series is occult/spiritual.

Joined 2012-12-27

PM

Thanks! I think I have seen a bit of Sanitarium in some video review, but haven’t tried any of these titles yet. Going to have a look at them. Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

How well-versed are you in the classics?

Cause the bigger-than-life conspiracies and such make me think of games like the three Gabriel Knight games (from the writer/designer of Gray Matter and generally deemed far superior) and the first two Broken Sword games…
Grim Fandango and Discworld: Noir might apply too…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-12-27

PM

I know these games, but I’ve only played the Broken Sword games a long time ago. They definitely fit the description. Always been curious about GKs.. I think I will finally check them out Smile

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^yep, “gabriel knight: sins of the fathers” should be your next destination (those games made by the same person who designed gray matter). Its still on sale at gog.
Also, i recently played through “the cat lady” and it certainly qualifies as a game dealing with spiritual/occult/conspiracy.

Total Posts: 95

Joined 2010-11-01

PM

Chronicles of Mystery: The Scorpio Ritual
Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life

Both I found quite underrated and fun, though Scorpio Ritual is on the short side (4-5 hours) but Tree of Life was longer.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2012-12-24

PM

As someone who just finished playing through Gabriel Knight 1 I can say with 100% it’s a must play and fits your requirements almost perfectly!

Recently played: Heavy Rain, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.
Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Last Spector, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, Portal 2.

Total Posts: 10

Joined 2005-04-15

PM

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are classics of this genre. Try them both if you havent yet.

Admin
3D World and Game Developers Group Linkedin
“We Build Worlds”

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

kapdol - 27 December 2012 06:07 PM

the whole metaphysical searching for the essence of the universe and humanity.

That’s The Dig.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Christian IV - 28 December 2012 10:55 PM

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall are classics of this genre. Try them both if you havent yet.

Somebody wasn’t paying attention to the first post, it seems… Tongue Grin Wink

HandsFree - 29 December 2012 08:47 AM
kapdol - 27 December 2012 06:07 PM

the whole metaphysical searching for the essence of the universe and humanity.

That’s The Dig.

^ Seconded.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

As many suggested , definitely

Gabriel Knight : Sins of the father , voiced splendidly by Tim Curry.

Maybe Realms of the haunting (that one is a FPS FMV adventure though)

Temujin (a FMV adventure)

Amber : Journey’s beyond

Well , the Tex Murphy games have a lot of conspiracies in them but maybe not so much occult or spiritualism.

If you do not mind hidden object adventure games , bigfishgames.com has tons of games with those kind of themes i suppose.
Just a couple of them ...

Mystery case files : Dire Groves

Mytery case files : Shadow Lake

Hidden object games are not for everyone though.

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Stop what you doing and play the gabriel knights. All of them.

Total Posts: 1075

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Here some occult adventures kapdol:Post Mortem 02
                  Necronomicon 01  
                  Indigo Prophecy 05
                  Shadow of the Comet 93
                  The 7th Guest 93

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 532

Joined 2009-06-07

PM

As far as bigger than life conspiracies go I’d recommend the Secret Files series allthough they’re not very deep and meaningful but then neither are the Broken Sword games and they fit the description too. You might wanna stay away from the third Sceret Files game though. Also Lost Horizon is a bigger than life adventure and it has some spiritual elements. (though they’re not very deep) So you should definitely check that one out.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top