• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CharophyceanchrissieKeybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2008-12-19

PM

Here’s a rather unflattering review of the game from Gamezebo.  I haven’t played the game, so I can’t comment on whether or not it is a fair review:

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/cognition-erica-reed-thriller-episode-1-hangman/review?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmm, seems to me that the majority of the negativity was based on the old-school style of the puzzles. I don’t mind oldschool, so that isn’t gonna discourage me from playing the game. I do agree that the characters look awkward though, but that’s not really any different from other lower budget 2D games that makes the mistake/compromise to animate their characters in 3D.

However, I do wonder whether the game designers who makes these choices are okay with it themselves, or if it’s tearing their soul apart (like it should) to ruin such beautiful backgrounds with those horribly unaestethic puppets on strings… (if I was the artist who was gonna introduce those unpicturesque characters to those well done backgrounds, I’d be irreparably embarrassed).

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Mm.. I guess the points are mostly fair but I wouldn’t substract so much from the overall score. Besides the bashed example puzzle is something I never encountered as I stumbled into a different solution with the lighter. Where was the mention of these alternate solutions? The whole donut box also served as a clue for a later cognition puzzle.

There was certainly some detective and adventure game cliches there but to me it seems it wasn’t so much the lack of ideas than paying homage to the classics. Anyway, I didn’t think it was perfect either but it was still very engaging, good and fun. And personally I don’t get that bothered with different artistic styles, pretty much anything goes.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

We put a lot of effort into making sure the puzzles all had some logic to them, as well as hints to nudge the player in the right direction—we wanted to make sure they were challenging but not out of nowhere. But, your mileage may vary, and sometimes one man’s logic is another’s cheese-powered wand, I suppose. Tongue

In better review news, we were voted Best Adventure Game 2012 in IncGamers’ recent reader poll, so we’re pretty excited about that!

http://www.incgamers.com/2012/12/readers-awards-for-the-best-games-of-2012-the-winners/

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Another Steam Greenlight date is hitting on Jan. 15th—if you haven’t voted up Cognition yet, we’d love to get your thumbs up so we can get on there!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92915746

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

The first episode got a score of 89/100 and a recommendation on THE Finnish game magazine ‘Pelit’. They said it felt almost like Gabriel Knight was back. I do not disagree with the review.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thank you!

I also just learned we’re #4 on IndieGames.com’s Top 10 Adventures of 2012 list, w00t!

http://indiegames.com/2013/01/top_10_indie_adventure_games_o.html

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Out of curiosity, how close is it to getting greenlit?

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

It’s hard to judge. We are currently ranked #62 (out of hundreds), and in theory, Steam takes the top 10 or so.

However, on past Greenlight dates, games that are lower than the Top 10 have been taken and ones in it have been passed over. The ranking is at least one factor, but so are other factors, such as an upward movement in voting that shows momentum for the game in question.

We’re much closer than most games on there, but not yet as close as we’d like to be, essentially.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

If anyone’s looking for them, I moved the last few posts about the inventory combination glitch here.

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Thanks fov! I was a bit worried about spoilers for others Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

Is Jan 30 looking like a firm date for Episode 2?

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Yes, it is. Smile

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

KatieHal - 13 January 2013 10:36 PM

Yes, it is. Smile

Great!  With this and The Cave coming out at the same time, it’s going to be a good day.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2013-02-11

PM

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed this. Not perfect - the animations especially were problematic - but I felt it had a unique atmosphere. And the Cognition power idea added an interesting twist to the “catch the killer/solve the crime” type gameplay.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top